News: Dallas Cowboys: Why Michael Gallup will have a breakout year

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Amari Cooper is going into his FIFTH year and has yet to prove to be a 1200 yard receiver. Never in the salary cap era has a top 5 salaried (potentially) WR failed to accrue 1200 yards in any single season. Shocking stat.

So if the offense is going to take flight like everyone predicted, Gallup will have to step up big time.
Coop was stuck in the mud, at the gate.. till he got to Dallas.
If you don't understand elite talent, then you will never recognize athletic ability.
Keep staring at Nelson Agholor and hope he can one day replace Alshon Jeffery.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Gallup was about the only good player when CSU played Alabama.
It was then that I knew he would do well. He could have had an even better year had Dak been able to complete balls to him.
Sometimes, he was running wide open.
Here's hoping they get on the same page in Training Camp. This offense can be something special and very hard to defend if …
Dak can improve his accuracy, eliminate pocket panic and uses his legs more,
Kellen Moore can bring some creativity to this offense,
our offensive line - and everyone else on offense for that matter - remains relatively healthy.
12-4 and an NFC Championship appearance is certainly doable with the talent on this squad.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It was then that I knew he would do well. He could have had an even better year had Dak been able to complete balls to him.
Here's hoping they get on the same page in Training Camp. This offense can be something special and very hard to defend if …
our offensive line - and everyone else on offense for that matter - remains relatively healthy.
12-4 and an NFC Championship appearance is certainly doable with the talent on this squad.

Now, that's the ticket.:)

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

I like this kid a lot, I think he's gonna be a very solid #2 WR.

There was a point around the NO and Eagles game where in like 4-5 strait games he absolutely burned his man and Dak overthrew him every time.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you don't understand elite talent, then you will never recognize athletic ability.

I’ve seen elite talent squandered far more often than unveiled, so have you.

Never, ever credit someone for something he has never done. Maybe one day Cooper will show what he’s always been now that Dallas is some stratospherically better passing offense than the 2015 Raiders. But that day is not today.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure what depth chart your looking at, but mine says Gallup is already entrenched as the starter with Coop at wide.
Who else you got there...
Hurns
Lenoir
Wilson
Smith
Brown is going to get cut
Cobb and the rest are all slot bait.
?

I always laugh when Lenoir's name is mentioned. I don't mean to be cruel about a player pursuing his dream, but I can't take names like his seriously. It's right next to when someone brings up Jamiel Showers. Apparently that guy is still hanging around the team too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t get it either. Gallup is the future and is only going to get better. Amazing that we have retooled already with he and Coop.
We got real lucky with our secondary and wide receivers. Even quarterback. Neglecting those positions could’ve been real ugly and they retooled those positions within a year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is going into his FIFTH year and has yet to prove to be a 1200 yard receiver. Never in the salary cap era has a top 5 salaried (potentially) WR failed to accrue 1200 yards in any single season. Shocking stat.

So if the offense is going to take flight like everyone predicted, Gallup will have to step up big time.
But if he was in Dallas all year he would’ve murdered that 1200...watch the games not the stats. He dominated your Eagirls.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always laugh when Lenoir's name is mentioned. I don't mean to be cruel about a player pursuing his dream, but I can't take names like his seriously. It's right next to when someone brings up Jamiel Showers. Apparently that guy is still hanging around the team too.
The thing about guys like Lenoir is the odds are against him. He shouldn’t be in the league. But he is and that’s a testament to his hard work. He’s had nothing given to him. They keep bringing him among for a reason. Now he’s not going to be higher on the depth chart then Gallup, Coop, Austin, Hurns or Cobb......but I see no reason to believe he can’t fight for that 6th or 7th spot.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah I think you are off base here. Gallup is our starter. No way he loses his spot. Cobb.....if he sucks he can lose it but he’s going to get every opportunity to start and I don’t see him losing his job.

There's not real reason for them to be married to Gallup. In the ordinary course of events, a 3rd rounder doesn't start for you his rookie season. Probably not his second season either. There's a lot of competition at WR. We'll see.

As for Cobb, I don't see that he has much of a "job". He was brought in to replace Beasley possession snaps, mainly on 3rd down, but his ability to add to the run game covered another need. Now we've got Austin and Pollard for the run game element from the slot. Wilson and Hurns are likely possession WRs fort 3rd down and red zone. Cobb covered a lot of bases, but covered them thinly, and we've got multiple more specialized players to cover those bases.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There's not real reason for them to be married to Gallup. In the ordinary course of events, a 3rd rounder doesn't start for you his rookie season. Probably not his second season either. There's a lot of competition at WR. We'll see.

As for Cobb, I don't see that he has much of a "job". He was brought in to replace Beasley possession snaps, mainly on 3rd down, but his ability to add to the run game covered another need. Now we've got Austin and Pollard for the run game element from the slot. Wilson and Hurns are likely possession WRs fort 3rd down and red zone. Cobb covered a lot of bases, but covered them thinly, and we've got multiple more specialized players to cover those bases.
What are you talking about? He started for them LAST YEAR. I Guess that's my point. If he started his rookie year why on earth would he not this year? You're putting wayyy too much stock into Pollard and Austin. Those are the guys who will have to search for snaps. Gallup and Cobb won't.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
:starspin:"SLAM" :starspin:
:thumbup::lmao::thumbup:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I respectfully but totally disagree with these assessments.

Cooper
Gallup
Cobb

They're this team's top three receivers. The only thing that might change that is injury. As for Hurns? There's no bigger cut candidate right now the him. The rest of the guys will fight for the three spots behind Cobb.

Brown is a great cut candidate. A too tiny blocking TE who lines up wide for no reason that worries anyone.

It would have been pretty dumb for them to take up Hurns' option only to cut him. Costs us comp pick value for no reason.

It'll be interesting. Lots of WRs I don't want to cut. We guaranteed Cobb's money. But not his snaps.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The biggest thing I want to see from rookies is flashes of talent. Not everyone's going to run out there and make a Pro Bowl straight out of the gates like Zeke or Vander Esch. Most of them are going to make mistakes. But you watch for signs that they've got the talent to make it on the next level.

Gallup was getting wide open deep 1 or 2 times every game. He didn't haul many of them in, but the fact that he got open is what matters. He can beat NFL DBs deep. The talent is there.

You couple that with some steady improvement in his route running, showing that he's listening to coaching and drilling his fundamentals, and I think you have to expect a breakout. It's not very likely that he's going to just keep narrowly missing bomb plays for the next 2 or 3 years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think Gallup is going to be a star in this league. He made some rookie mistakes, but still put together an encouraging year. Enough speed. Good size. Takes route running seriously. Isn't a diva. He appears to have incredible fortitude. Don't forget, last year he found out on a Sunday after the game his brother had passed away...and he was able to play the next Thursday. Cooper went off that game to the tune of 180 yards or something. I think Gallup had 2 for 20. Gallup got the game ball with Copper's full support.

This is a terrific. and rare, receiving core. Not a selfish person in the group as far as I can see. Gallup will benefit from it, is at the heart of it. I don't know when I've been more encouraged by our receiving group as a whole.

I agree. I don't see a diva on our WR group. They seem like they'll be content to work together and share the ball. If Dak can spread the ball effectively and unpredictably, this is going to be the most fun offence to watch. Zeke running, and DCs having no clue who is getting the ball. I get the sense that double covering a WR on our team is not going to be a good choice for DCs. Double Coop, and Gallup or Cobb will rip you apart. So, trying to make Cooper vanish by way of doubling him will be a bad move imo. Double anyone else, and Coop will rip you apart like a lion on a gazelle. Take away our WRs, and Zeke or Pollard will run the defence out the stadium on checkdowns.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not sure what depth chart your looking at, but mine says Gallup is already entrenched as the starter with Coop at wide.
Who else you got there...
Hurns
Lenoir
Wilson
Smith
Brown is going to get cut
Cobb and the rest are all slot bait.
?

Lenior will be just a mere memory if that. I dunno if they'll bother with him much if at all. Hurns is out. Smith, Wilson, Brown, and one of the undrafted players are the real competition. My guess is it'll be this:

Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Wilson
Austin
Undrafted