Dallas FA signings need fixing

goshan

Reaction score
Also spent a lot more on those guys.

Let's see how they play for the full season...

Let's see how McClain, Church & Carr do in seasons 2 or 3 or 4 of their contracts.

I heard you the first time. But one, and maybe two, of these guys is clearly better than the scrubs we signed. It isn't difficult to call right now.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard you the first time. But one, and maybe two, of these guys is clearly better than the scrubs we signed. It isn't difficult to call right now.

But those guys were paid a lot more...

Hopefully you heard that.

Zman5

Reaction score
Building through the draft sounds great if you can draft well. We can't on the defensive side. Look at the defensive players we drafted past 7 years under JG.

No player stands out let alone sniffed a pro-bowl. DLaw is the only one finally that looks to be a star material. It's going to take us forever to have an above average defense using this approach.

If we ever do build a good defense, by then, our offense is going to be aging and need rebuilding.

Aven8

Reaction score
Building through the draft sounds great if you can draft well. We can't on the defensive side. Look at the defensive players we drafted past 7 years under JG.

No player stands out let alone sniffed a pro-bowl. DLaw is the only one finally that looks to be a star material. It's going to take us forever to have an above average defense using this approach.

If we ever do build a good defense, by then, our offense is going to be aging and need rebuilding.

Nice post. :thumbup:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And that's the thing. Every one of them was worse. Significantly worse. So bad, I never fact that none lasted two months into the season.

That's not even stopgap level, that's admitted total failure level.

Yes. I've come to expect more competent signings than what we did this year. This was akin to the 2009 draft. Other bargain players at least gave us some decent depth. I'd like to think the reason these didn't is because our depth was too good for them, but I don't believe that's the case. Terrell McClain would certainly have been higher on the depth chart than either Thornton or Paea. Carr or Claiborne over Carroll, who I thought would at least be on Carr's level, is clear. Even Jack Crawford was better depth than what we got from Moore.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone that follows the history of free agency knows you don't many times get what you paid for.

I'm stunned that you think otherwise.

And sometimes you do. But I don't see what that has to do with making horrendous choices.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. I've come to expect more competent signings than what we did this year. This was akin to the 2009 draft. Other bargain players at least gave us some decent depth. I'd like to think the reason these didn't is because our depth was too good for them, but I don't believe that's the case. Terrell McClain would certainly have been higher on the depth chart than either Thornton or Paea. Carr or Claiborne over Carroll, who I thought would at least be on Carr's level, is clear. Even Jack Crawford was better depth than what we got from Moore.

Yeah, one miss? Sure, everybody has 'em. Two? OK, bad luck there. Three? Oof! Something wrong happening here. Four? Something drastic needs changing.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

DLaw, Collins, and Jones have been pretty good. Jury is still out on Jaylon and this year's rookies. We missed on Wilcox and Gregory. Those are the premium picks we have spent in the Garrett era. Hitchens, Brown, and Wilson have been pretty good mid round picks.

The only players that are close to aging are Witten and Bryant. The rest can reasonably be expected to be around for the next few years. We just need to keep drafting well but we will have extra cash available given how little we will be spending on qb the next 2 years. After retaining our OL I expect we'll spend some money on the defense in FA.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah, one miss? Sure, everybody has 'em. Two? OK, bad luck there. Three? Oof! Something wrong happening here. Four? Something drastic needs changing.

Who knows? Jones goes where the wind takes him. A few years back, we had older vets who were having trouble staying healthy so Jones decided he didn't need to pay age (which is a good overall decision). Then Carr not working out as planned was part of what convinced him to not pay the going rate for quality free agents. Maybe this will help him realize he doesn't need to go all in on free agency, but he doesn't need to go all out either. The idea of staying out of the feeding frenzy of the initial phase of free agency just means your getting the crumbs.

I don't want Dallas investing in four or five top-quality FAs each year because it takes a lot of cap manipulation to absorb that, but if the Cowboys had been just identifying one guy each year and going hard after him, then they could have this defense built by now.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
They weren't signing any big name free agents like Campbell...

They're out of that business.

Who said anything about Campbell. Their were plenty of second tier guys that signed good deals, which we could have felt almost no salary cap impact down the road by front loading those contracts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who knows? Jones goes where the wind takes him. A few years back, we had older vets who were having trouble staying healthy so Jones decided he didn't need to pay age (which is a good overall decision). Then Carr not working out as planned was part of what convinced him to not pay the going rate for quality free agents. Maybe this will help him realize he doesn't need to go all in on free agency, but he doesn't need to go all out either. The idea of staying out of the feeding frenzy of the initial phase of free agency just means your getting the crumbs.

I don't want Dallas investing in four or five top-quality FAs each year because it takes a lot of cap manipulation to absorb that, but if the Cowboys had been just identifying one guy each year and going hard after him, then they could have this defense built by now.

I'm not even getting into the philosophy of spending big / not spending big. I'm talking about serious misevaluations of talent. Going "cheap" by a million or two million and ending up with no player at all vs a decent player that you might be slightly overpaying to keep.

Every choice they had to make was botched. And instead of adding to a 13-3 team, they've subtracted from it. And not because they couldn't afford it or it would have cost too much, but because their evaluation of talent was atrocious.

And it wasn't about "young guys" playing well this year, it was about the choices they made being that awful that they simply want to be rid of them.