News: Dallas offensive philosophy refuses to follow the crowd

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Bunch of big guys that liked to play football and had attitude !!!!
And beyond the engrossing story of six flawed men who together made something on the football field that was very nearly perfect, it explains some things that many here have often wondered about. For years, there has been a great deal of frustration about the lack of resources (primarily draft picks) being devoted to shoring up the offensive line. The impression developed that the Cowboys' front office seemed to think it could put together a championship caliber line out of late-round draft picks and undrafted free agents. Frustrated fans wondered how in the world Jerry Jones and company could get such a stupid idea.

Well, they thought they could do it because that's exactly what they did to build this line. These were castoffs, rejects, guys on their last chance with the league, and players overlooked by other teams. A couple of third-rounders, a seventh-rounder, two free-agents, a player traded away because he was unwanted - that was the material this bulldozer of a line was built from. Players from small schools, and a guy that Tex Schramm told Jones and Johnson to "not waste your time on because he has eaten himself out of a job".

But the front office, particularly Johnson, saw something in them. They became the best in the business, opening gaping holes for Smith and guarding Aikman from all comers. It didn't happen overnight, however. In learning how to play together, and in getting all the pieces in place, the quarterback got beaten up, including one memorable game with eleven sacks just before it all clicked. But when it did finally coalesce, this was as good a line, given the style and nature of the game at the time, as has ever existed.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-at-the-offensive-line-that-made-the-triplets

dallasdave

Reaction score
And beyond the engrossing story of six flawed men who together made something on the football field that was very nearly perfect, it explains some things that many here have often wondered about. For years, there has been a great deal of frustration about the lack of resources (primarily draft picks) being devoted to shoring up the offensive line. The impression developed that the Cowboys' front office seemed to think it could put together a championship caliber line out of late-round draft picks and undrafted free agents. Frustrated fans wondered how in the world Jerry Jones and company could get such a stupid idea.

Well, they thought they could do it because that's exactly what they did to build this line. These were castoffs, rejects, guys on their last chance with the league, and players overlooked by other teams. A couple of third-rounders, a seventh-rounder, two free-agents, a player traded away because he was unwanted - that was the material this bulldozer of a line was built from. Players from small schools, and a guy that Tex Schramm told Jones and Johnson to "not waste your time on because he has eaten himself out of a job".

But the front office, particularly Johnson, saw something in them. They became the best in the business, opening gaping holes for Smith and guarding Aikman from all comers. It didn't happen overnight, however. In learning how to play together, and in getting all the pieces in place, the quarterback got beaten up, including one memorable game with eleven sacks just before it all clicked. But when it did finally coalesce, this was as good a line, given the style and nature of the game at the time, as has ever existed.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-at-the-offensive-line-that-made-the-triplets
The wisdom of Jimmy Johnson :bow::bow::bow:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys offensive philosophy refuses to follow the crowd
01f77003013105e317d80e392d9f4d43
by Robert H. Carroll1 d ago
In a copycat league, teams are winning with potent aerial attacks. Why are the Dallas Cowboys obsessed with being the best rushing team in the league?

In the transition to a more quarterback Dak Prescott friendly offense, the Dallas Cowboys have been acquiring players to make the running game deadly. Our offensive line is a dominant group of athletes that deserve to be mentioned by name: tackles Tyron Smith and Cameron Fleming, guards Conner Williams, Zack Martin and La’el Collins, and center Travis Frederick.

I’m aware that I listed six people and left off tackle Chaz Green. Offensive linemen may get shuffled around both before and during the season. It’s still a great group of athletes and it wouldn’t be a stretch to expect our new collection of running backs to gain four yards per carry.

I’ve heard fantasies about how this deadly rushing attack could be used. It was pitched that the Cowboys could start games with running back Ezekiel Elliott. Rod Smithwould enter games to give Elliott a breather.

Afterwards, Bo Scarbrough, the 6′ 2”, 235 pound bruiser from Alabama would bulldoze linebackers. That would allow speedster, Tavon Austin to sprint through gaps created by our new fullback Jamize Olawale from the Oakland Raiders. Elliott would return late in the fourth quarter to finish games with fresh legs.

Looking at the numbers, it’s completely possible that this could happen. I just named seven offensive linemen, five running backs and it’s possible that the Cowboys keep three quarterbacks – Dak Prescott, Mike White and Cooper Rush. The Cowboys initial 53-man roster from 2017 had two quarterbacks, five running backs and eight offensive linemen.

We have already seen teams copycat the cowboys after zeke first year. Rb’s are now getting drafted high in the first round again.

ESisback

Reaction score
We have already seen teams copycat the cowboys after zeke first year. Rb’s are now getting drafted high in the first round again.

After this year, I predict several teams will transition to more of a “WR by committee” approach...

#copycat

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After this year, I predict several teams will transition to more of a “WR by committee” approach...

#copycat

I just don't see WR as an area where you want to spend the big cap dollars on one guy. QB and Oline is where you want it on offense. Now I would pay money for a guy like Brown from Pitt, but not this crazy 16 million per year. And when you use a draft asset and a 4th pick in the draft on a RB like Zeke, you better commit to running the football.

aria

Reaction score
i think you are way off base here no offense

this is true especially tightend, rivals allocated picks on them and Dallas is wayyy behind here
knowing Garretts dependence on them though i doubt it will stay that way long

this where i disagree, it isnt Jerry at all
this is 99% Stephen, McClay and Garrett
and it works very very well for many reasons at least right now but you still have to have some defense as @Alexander said

i think its easy to speculate that they would love to have a #1 dominant receiver and blue chip tightend and they will but not right now because they went Collins over either and are trying to fill that void with guys like Hurns and Gallup
dont think the roster changes are complete because there are still needs but only so many resources

if Dak is very good this year and they make a strong run maybe we see them address any holes with FA
No offense taken and I appreciate it.

While I agree with you on point #2, it is still Jerry who puts these people in the positions they’re in so ultimately I hold him responsible.

I also don’t disagree with point #3 but I wish they had thought it better. My point to the original guy who said that the rest of the NFCE was following us by trying to have a strong running game, I stated that it wasn’t necessarily true just because they drafted a RB and that they were well ahead of us with WR and TE but not O line.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue that the Iggles or Giants aren’t well ahead of us with offensive weapons but not O line, although Philthy is close.

DiResta

Reaction score
No offense taken and I appreciate it.

While I agree with you on point #2, it is still Jerry who puts these people in the positions they’re in so ultimately I hold him responsible.

I also don’t disagree with point #3 but I wish they had thought it better. My point to the original guy who said that the rest of the NFCE was following us by trying to have a strong running game, I stated that it wasn’t necessarily true just because they drafted a RB and that they were well ahead of us with WR and TE but not O line.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue that the Iggles or Giants aren’t well ahead of us with offensive weapons but not O line, although Philthy is close.
hah i put "Collins" when i was thinking Connor Williams - i meant they drafted Connor instead of taking the TE (like Eagles thought) or WR

Eagles oline is rated ahead of Dallas last i saw but mid season things could look very different

aria

Reaction score
hah i put "Collins" when i was thinking Connor Williams - i meant they drafted Connor instead of taking the TE (like Eagles thought) or WR

Eagles oline is rated ahead of Dallas last i saw but mid season things could look very different
Lol, I knew what you meant. Connor was my favorite pick but it also solidifies my belief that they are going all in on the run which concerns me.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once we start drafting guys that relegate our current starters to becoming backups & rotational players, we will have pretty much arrived. I'm not talking about Lee, DLaw, etc., but the Heaths, Twills, M. Collins, etc.

If we start doing that, we can spend some time pontificating about our philosophy.

rkell87

Reaction score
Sean Lee round 2
Jaylon Smith round 2
Leighton Vander Esch round 1
Demarcus Lawrence round 2
Randy Gregory round 2
Taco Charlton round 1
Byron Jones round 1
Jourdan Lewis round 2

As you were squeeking...
Lewis 3

NotForLong

Reaction score
hey CCBoy tell the people why we invest so heavily on the Run game.
Tell them CCBoy ............

Hmmm not responding well I'll do it for you bud.....Cause first we had inj prone Romo and now we have Couldn't hit the barn if his life depended on it Prescott...np CCBoy no need to thank me bud.

P.S. Now you be here this coming season when 8 man in the box defenses are making us look very silly on offense cause we have no Passing game to speak of.....
Although I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It doesn't necessarily mean we can't go far into the playoffs in this watered down league.

Because all though we are not complete what we have is elite.

This team has gone out and made an effort to sign and draft an assortment of WR 's. That run good routes create desperation and catch with their hands ( this is not a condemnation of Bryant, who I continue to support and love to this day) it's just seams to be apart of their skill set. Combine that with the fact that the WR position is a wide open competition. On any day any WR could be the leading WR in terms of stats. Which is the way it should be

Very Dak Friendly indeed, and why not. If the Cowboys are able to average 4yds a carry. What's another 6yds to move the chains. Dak can get another 3 yds with his legs alone.

I always believed Tebow could have won in this league as his record reflects. I also believe in Dak as well. Both have stronger "intangibles" then "Mechanics" and "Ability". Dak throws a better ball and Tim was a better leader but both are resilient and finds ways to win.

This is Dak's year to prove it and I believe he will. Only thing that could stop him is a devastating injury.

aria

Reaction score
Although I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It doesn't necessarily mean we can't go far into the playoffs in this watered down league.

Because all though we are not complete what we have is elite.

This team has gone out and made an effort to sign and draft an assortment of WR 's. That run good routes create desperation and catch with their hands ( this is not a condemnation of Bryant, who I continue to support and love to this day) it's just seams to be apart of their skill set. Combine that with the fact that the WR position is a wide open competition. On any day any WR could be the leading WR in terms of stats. Which is the way it should be

Very Dak Friendly indeed, and why not. If the Cowboys are able to average 4yds a carry. What's another 6yds to move the chains. Dak can get another 3 yds with his legs alone.

I always believed Tebow could have won in this league as his record reflects. I also believe in Dak as well. Both have stronger "intangibles" then "Mechanics" and "Ability". Dak throws a better ball and Tim was a better leader but both are resilient and finds ways to win.

This is Dak's year to prove it and I believe he will. Only thing that could stop him is a devastating injury.
I’m confused by “Because all though we are not complete what we have is elite“. Please elaborate because a lot teams can say the same exact thing.

I can think of possibly 3 positions/players that are elite. O line, Zeke and Lee when healthy. Until Lawrence puts together two mostly full seasons of what he did last year then I’d hardly call him elite.

So what we have is a bunch of question marks with a few proven elite players sprinkled in.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Maliek Collins round 3.

Chido Awuzie round 2.

Tyrone Crawford round 3.

They have been putting draft capital into the defense. The problem has been, that they aren’t getting the same level of player with those draft choices. For whatever reason. Injury being a big part of the piece. IMO.

a poor defensive scheme has not helped also.