Dallas playing Packers on NFL network, nothing wrong with Romo's back there

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Of course the injuries were a partial reason why the mediocrity continued. But injuries did not cause the numerous playcalling gaffes, poor time management and inadequate preparation. In other words, even with the injuries, we did enough to lose regardless.

I disagree although you're right about it only being part of the problem. It's just a huge one. We went from a mediocre defense in 2012 giving up 24 ppg to one giving up almost 30. One isn't very good but the other one is horrible. The offense went from roughly 24 ppg to almost 30 ppg. This is an equally huge move in the right direction. If the defense had only performed like last year then we would likely have won more games and probably made the playoffs. We would have gone nowhere and the same people would be complaining but the point remains.

The injuries devastated the defense.

Cmac

Reaction score
This must be Moral Victory Day on NFL Network and how Dez should behave.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Man, you've gotta be quite the masochist to watch the Packers, Lions, and Broncos games one after another as the NFL Network has scheduled. Clearly our pain makes good TV.

It's not so bad, you just have to know when to take bathroom breaks.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I disagree although you're right about it only being part of the problem. It's just a huge one. We went from a mediocre defense in 2012 giving up 24 ppg to one giving up almost 30. One isn't very good but the other one is horrible. The offense went from roughly 24 ppg to almost 30 ppg. This is an equally huge move in the right direction. If the defense had only performed like last year then we would likely have won more games and probably made the playoffs. We would have gone nowhere and the same people would be complaining but the point remains.

The injuries devastated the defense.

And yet, we were two grossly mismanaged games against Detroit and especially Green Bay from nearly making the playoffs in spite of ourselves.

Alexander

Reaction score
It's not so bad, you just have to know when to take bathroom breaks.

Very clever.

I suppose you took a very long one to miss from the middle of the third quarter to the end of the Packers game. Other than that, it was a fine effort.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet, we were two grossly mismanaged games against Detroit and especially Green Bay from nearly making the playoffs in spite of ourselves.
The second half of the Green Bay game was mismanaged. Coaching can also be criticized for the Detroit game, but the greater emphasis for the loss can be laid at the feet of Tyron Smith for committing a late holding penalty. Football is a team sport, but often individual player playmaking or boneheaded play are significant factors in wins or losses.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Again that's black or white and all or nothing thinking. Perhaps you're right. Considering how bad the defense was they probably didn't want to eat up 1/2 to 1 quarter driving the ball only to have GB score in 1-3 minutes. You lose that game for sure. Maybe they would have driven the ball running and then suddenly figured out how to stop someone. I don't really know which way was right but I can see why they may have played it that way. Either way they likely lose the game. You can't give up 30 or more ppg and win a lot of games.

Some of you are so anchored in the idea that Garrett lost games you can't see the forest for the trees. I second guessed him too more than once but in the end it's the defense and the players on the field. All they had to do is stop any of those teams just once.

You may be right about the miscues and apparent ones. I can't predict games played differently from how they were played. But there are many reasons why we are losing and its not one guys fault.

If the team fails this year and the amount of injuries to the team isn't absurd then Garrett et al are likely gone. A definite maybe.

Last edited:

Alexander

Reaction score
Some of you are so anchored in the idea that Garrett lost games you can't see the forest for the trees.

Simple fact is that teams who scored that many points and had that kind of lead had somehow managed to win something like 400 plus games prior to our singular historic loss. So we either had the worst defense of all of them or chances are fairly good that simple efficient game management would have won that football game.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Of course the injuries were a partial reason why the mediocrity continued. But injuries did not cause the numerous playcalling gaffes, poor time management and inadequate preparation. In other words, even with the injuries, we did enough to lose regardless.

True words. Liked proudly.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True words. Liked proudly.

Fair enough, though he's not saying anything particularly insightful. Of course there were factors other than the inept defense that contributed to the losses. That's always the case. And not running the ball in the second to last offensive series was a definite gaffe. Lots of things can conspire to get you beat, and our coaches aren't perfect. But you'd have to be blind to not realize the overwhelmingly biggest challenge for this team was fielding an adequate pass defense. And nobody ever said that was entirely because of injury.

What Alexander likes to do is reduce an argument to absurdity, and then mock that absurdity, hoping nobody notices the difference. Because it's a lot easier than addressing an actual argument head on.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Fair enough, though he's not saying anything particularly insightful. Of course there were factors other than the inept defense that contributed to the losses. That's always the case. And not running the ball in the second to last offensive series was a definite gaffe. Lots of things can conspire to get you beat, and our coaches aren't perfect. But you'd have to be blind to not realize the overwhelmingly biggest challenge for this team was fielding an adequate pass defense. And nobody ever said that was entirely because of injury.

What Alexander likes to do is reduce an argument to absurdity, and then mock that absurdity, hoping nobody notices the difference. Because it's a lot easier than addressing an actual argument head on.

I know and you're right. I've commented on Alex's posting history in the past and it reads along the same lines.
But those words were astute, to the point and inarguable.
So- I liked, and proudly.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The second half of the Green Bay game was mismanaged. Coaching can also be criticized for the Detroit game, but the greater emphasis for the loss can be laid at the feet of Tyron Smith for committing a late holding penalty. Football is a team sport, but often individual player playmaking or boneheaded play are significant factors in wins or losses.

Neither of the games were mismanaged... some of our more "special" posters think they invented the concept of hindsight is 20/20. They believe that if only we would have done something different, anything, that they would have won... even though the different stuff still involves executing, picking up first downs, and not having your defense give up 5 TD drives in one half (3 of them 80 yarders). I would just try not to take these "special" posters very seriously.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Neither of the games were mismanaged... some of our more "special" posters think they invented the concept of hindsight is 20/20. They believe that if only we would have done something different, anything, that they would have won... even though the different stuff still involves executing, picking up first downs, and not having your defense give up 5 TD drives in one half (3 of them 80 yarders). I would just try not to take these "special" posters very seriously.

Even Troy was blasting Ginger in the second half of the Packers game. This isnt hindsight, people saw that disaster coming from a mile away.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Simple fact is that teams who scored that many points and had that kind of lead had somehow managed to win something like 400 plus games prior to our singular historic loss. So we either had the worst defense of all of them or chances are fairly good that simple efficient game management would have won that football game.

That's fair and reasonable. Again you may be right. BTW, we did have one of the worst defenses I've ever seen. People were scoring everytime they got the ball. Didn't GB score everytime they had the ball in the second half. TDs too without looking. That's a SC% of 100% which is difficult to beat. If GB scores the second half at 100% then running the ball and scoring 38% of the time (near our avg again without looking) then we had to protect the ball and make them work for their scores. I guess they didn't think they could do that which is of course arguable.

My point is neither way is a slam dunk.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That's fair and reasonable. Again you may be right. BTW, we did have one of the worst defenses I've ever seen. People were scoring everytime they got the ball. Didn't GB score everytime they had the ball in the second half. TDs too without looking. That's a SC% of 100% which is difficult to beat. If GB scores the second half at 100% then running the ball and scoring 38% of the time (near our avg again without looking) then we had to protect the ball and make them work for their scores. I guess they didn't think they could do that which is of course arguable.

My point is neither way is a slam dunk.

Not only did they score every time they got the ball they did it in record time. I think I recall that the time of possession for all five touchdowns didn't even add up to one quarter of time. It's a fantasy by Garrett haters that we simply could have just run out the clock, as if it isn't pathetic enough that a team up 26-3 at halftime should have to come out thinking that way in the first place. There is no scenario that you can win in where your defense gives up 80 yard drives in 3 minutes every single time. At some point you have to stop them.

SWG9

Reaction score

Kneel with the ball against Detroit and we win the game. It's that simple.

Don't call it 20 20 hindsight just because you weren't smart enough to figure it out.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Kneel with the ball against Detroit and we win the game. It's that simple.

Don't call it 20 20 hindsight just because you weren't smart enough to figure it out.

The correct odds on all the play permutations came out the next day and there was nothing wrong with the call Garrett made. Crybaby fans are mad because Smith held on the play, which is 20/20 hindsight... unfortunately you're not smart enough to even know the definition.

Kneeling is a lower percentage play than running the ball... but you're also not smart enough to know that. Let's see if you can figure out why.