Dallas playing Packers on NFL network, nothing wrong with Romo's back there

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Not only did they score every time they got the ball they did it in record time. I think I recall that the time of possession for all five touchdowns didn't even add up to one quarter of time. It's a fantasy by Garrett haters that we simply could have just run out the clock, as if it isn't pathetic enough that a team up 26-3 at halftime should have to come out thinking that way in the first place. There is no scenario that you can win in where your defense gives up 80 yard drives in 3 minutes every single time. At some point you have to stop them.

Said it better than me.

Doomsay

Reaction score
This post is aimed at all of you who thought last season was 'good enough.' You probably know who you are. I don't have a clue, but you probably know in your heart if you feel this way.

Mirror mirror.

Doomsay

Reaction score
The correct odds on all the play permutations came out the next day and there was nothing wrong with the call Garrett made. Crybaby fans are mad because Smith held on the play, which is 20/20 hindsight... unfortunately you're not smart enough to even know the definition.

Kneeling is a lower percentage play than running the ball... but you're also not smart enough to know that. Let's see if you can figure out why.

link? Of course that one call wasn't the issue.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The reason Romo wasn't airing it out is because the Cowboys were trying to keep his int's down. He tied his career high with 19 int's in 2012 and had several multiple int games including 3 picks during the season finale vs Washington. The Cowboys had him attempting more high percentage passes which brought his int's down to 10 in 2013 but it also brought his average pass attempt down to a career low 7.1.
That highlighted part is not accurate, because there is hardly any difference in the number of deep attempts the last two seasons. Romo did have 14 fewer deep throws in 2013, but almost all of that is explained by the fact that he had 113 fewer total attempts.

20+ yard throws (% of total attempts)
2013 56 of 535 (10.5%) 1 int
2012 70 of 648 (11.1%) 5 int

INT% on 20+ yard throws
2013 1.8
2012 7.1

INT% on all attempts
2013 1.9
2012 2.9

While Romo only attempted 5% fewer deep throws, he threw 75% fewer interceptions on these throws. His INT percentage on all attempts went down 35%. Romo's low INT totals in 2013 were not a result of airing it out less. In 2012, he threw an INT once every 14 deep attempts. In 2013, it was once every 56 deep attempts.

Romo had 10 INT in 2013. At 2012's rate on deep attempts, he would have had 18.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Love the revisionist history in this thread that nobody could have won those games so poor Garrett is not responsible........................LOL

We had too many injuries, we had too bad a defense, we had the right call and it was player execution, Troy was referring to just 1 series that might have been questionable but overall the permutations say nothing is wrong with the playcalling, ect.......

Did I leave any excuses out as to why 400 other teams managed to win games that Garrett somehow loses...............man, he is just so unlucky................LOL

burmafrd

Reaction score
The correct odds on all the play permutations came out the next day and there was nothing wrong with the call Garrett made. Crybaby fans are mad because Smith held on the play, which is 20/20 hindsight... unfortunately you're not smart enough to even know the definition.

Kneeling is a lower percentage play than running the ball... but you're also not smart enough to know that. Let's see if you can figure out why.

I would love to know why you think that and you cannot prove it. Kneeling is done for a reason at the end of the game yet you claim running is better?

google Joe Pisarcik

Nation

Reaction score
I enjoy the people who criticize the game management of both the Lione and the Packers games, it exposes who is really just looking to complain versus those who have an actual vision in terms of a strategy. Because if you have a problem with the Cowboys running the ball into a brick wall against Detroit, you can't then get upset when they aren't conservative against Green Bay and crowd the line of scrimmage and throw the ball. You can pick poor execution on both games for an excuse or you can pick bad game management for one of the two, but you can't pick it for both.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I would love to know why you think that and you cannot prove it. Kneeling is done for a reason at the end of the game yet you claim running is better?

google Joe Pisarcik

Kneeling is done when you can completely run out the clock or leave maybe one play. I've never seen a coach kneel and leave 30 seconds on the clock, and neither have you. Every coach in the league runs because you try to win the game by never letting them get the ball back period. It's all on Tyron Smith, and you're just frustrated about it.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
link? Of course that one call wasn't the issue.

I'll try to find it, but the gist of it was that Garrett haters were mad about the wrong decision, and that Garrett kicking the field goal was actually the "wrong" decision and that the field position was more valuable than the 3 points. Of course, both decisions had a more than 85% chance of us winning, so in reality Garrett's true crime was having a historically pathetic defense. I'm still to this day stunned that Stafford was able to complete a 40 yard sideline out route. How is that even possible?

slomoxn

Reaction score
Regardless of who is to blame this team has a lot of soul searching to do this year. These games were a culmination of a lot of problems in Dallas; just in these two particular games we saw all of the deficiencies this team has exposed in record setting fashion. The defense is the worst in Dallas history, (check), the coach doesn't know how to properly manage games (check), they either have no or did not trust the running game (check opinions differ), Romo is pass happy and throws int's at the worst possible time 9check), and one of our players will make a bonehead play to seal the loss (check). Does that cover everything?
Last but not least how can this game be pinned on Smith for a holding call but it is always a team game when a 4th quarter game on the line int is thrown? Or a pass is called when a run should clearly be the play, if it is a team win it is a team loss so I think they just need to get a better team together.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Kneeling is done when you can completely run out the clock or leave maybe one play. I've never seen a coach kneel and leave 30 seconds on the clock, and neither have you. Every coach in the league runs because you try to win the game by never letting them get the ball back period. It's all on Tyron Smith, and you're just frustrated about it.

I have seen kneel downs three in a row done many times. You can burn as much as two minutes clock time if you do it exactly right- a little more if you milk it on 4th before you punt. Count up the times we could have done that and it would have worked out better then running it did.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That highlighted part is not accurate, because there is hardly any difference in the number of deep attempts the last two seasons. Romo did have 14 fewer deep throws in 2013, but almost all of that is explained by the fact that he had 113 fewer total attempts.

20+ yard throws (% of total attempts)
2013 56 of 535 (10.5%) 1 int
2012 70 of 648 (11.1%) 5 int

INT% on 20+ yard throws
2013 1.8
2012 7.1

INT% on all attempts
2013 1.9
2012 2.9

While Romo only attempted 5% fewer deep throws, he threw 75% fewer interceptions on these throws. His INT percentage on all attempts went down 35%. Romo's low INT totals in 2013 were not a result of airing it out less. In 2012, he threw an INT once every 14 deep attempts. In 2013, it was once every 56 deep attempts.

Romo had 10 INT in 2013. At 2012's rate on deep attempts, he would have had 18.

The highlighted part is accurate Romo had 113 fewer attempts because he played one fewer game in 2013 and the Cowboys wanted to reduce his attempts which were a career high 648 in 2012. Garrett was asked prior to the season about reducing Romo's int's. He said Tony tries to do too much and puts it on himself to have to win games. Garrett talked about having more balance in the offense and about reducing Romo's attempts. This all had to do with reducing his int's. A lot of fans were complaining this past season about all the dinking and dunking and that Romo wasn't going down the field. They complained that the Cowboys were turning him into a bus driver. The fact is the Cowboys wanted Romo to manage games to reduce his mistakes. He never went down the field much until the Denver game because the Cowboys knew their only chance of winning was putting up a lot of points in a shootout.

Everytime Romo has a big int season the Cowboys put an emphasis on reducing them the following season. After a career high 19 int's in 08 Jerry coined the term "Romo friendly" offense heading into the 09 season. The offense was designed to help reduce Romo's turnovers by having him spread the ball around. It resulted in a career low 9 int's that season. Romo had 957 fewer passing yards after 15 games in 2013 than he did after 15 games in 2012 because he had fewer attempts. It's clear he wasn't going down the field as much as in previous seasons. As I mentioned he had a career low of 7.2 per attempt in 2013. It's obvious the Cowboys were trying to manage him and it resulted in 6 fewer int's after 15 games in 2013. You can believe what you want but reducing Romo's mistakes are always a focal point entering every season.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The highlighted part is accurate Romo had 113 fewer attempts because he played one fewer game in 2013 and the Cowboys wanted to reduce his attempts which were a career high 648 in 2012.
"More high percentage passes" doesn't reduce your attempts. It only reduces your deep attempts. You were saying the plan was to limit his low percentage throws to cut down on INT. Not true.

Now you're saying the plan was simply to have a better pass/run balance. True.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
That Packer game was embarrassing!

You have their players saying hey we were beat but they were so dumb they gave us the game. Paraphrasing of course.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"More high percentage passes" doesn't reduce your attempts. It only reduces your deep attempts. You were saying the plan was to limit his low percentage throws to cut down on INT. Not true.

Now you're saying the plan was simply to have a better pass/run balance. True.

Not true according to you. More high percentage passes limits mistakes as does reducing passing attempts. You and I never agree on anything and it always results in a huge waste of time for both of us. Garrett pointed out what the plan was entering this past season. I'm not about to go a dozen or more posts arguing something we're never going to agree on.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not true according to you. More high percentage passes limits mistakes as does reducing passing attempts. You and I never agree on anything and it always results in a huge waste of time for both of us. Garrett pointed out what the plan was entering this past season. I'm not about to go a dozen or more posts arguing something we're never going to agree on.
It's not something to "agree/disagree" on, it's just a matter of counting deep attempts and INT. Your original point wasn't that throwing more high percentage passes limits mistakes. It was that Romo limited his mistakes by throwing more high percentage passes.

Which, again, isn't a matter of opinion, and isn't true.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's not something to "agree/disagree" on, it's just a matter of counting deep attempts and INT. Your original point wasn't that throwing more high percentage passes limits mistakes. It was that Romo limited his mistakes by throwing more high percentage passes.

Which, again, isn't a matter of opinion, and isn't true.

Are you for real? All you do is look for arguments. I know what my point was and it was made perfectly clear in a comprehensive post and I'm not about to repeat it. You're just looking for a multi page argument that I have no time for.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Neither of the games were mismanaged... some of our more "special" posters think they invented the concept of hindsight is 20/20. They believe that if only we would have done something different, anything, that they would have won... even though the different stuff still involves executing, picking up first downs, and not having your defense give up 5 TD drives in one half (3 of them 80 yarders). I would just try not to take these "special" posters very seriously.

Except people were posting while the game was happening and even the announcer, who is supposed to be unbiased as possible, was trashing Garrett. Nothing about that was hindsight. You sound "special" yourself with a post like this.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Are you for real? All you do is look for arguments. I know what my point was and it was made perfectly clear in a comprehensive post and I'm not about to repeat it. You're just looking for a multi page argument that I have no time for.

I don't know...
I enjoy reading them.

A lot of good football knowledge comes from reading you guys debating.
Much better than the one liners usually spouted out by the masses.