Twitter: Dallas unlikely to retain Byron Jones

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If we have a new HC— it stands to reason he will want his offensive and defensive schemes and systems installed.

Any player that does not fit those schemes will need to be cut or traded.

Jones is a very solid cover man— but I’d take a wait-and-see approach and give the new HC a lot of latitude and say on who stays and who needs to go

Parcells famously said if you ask him to cook the meal, let him shop for the groceries. Hopefully JJ backs way off the new regime and gives him room to operate and get the job done

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Might be, but it's a bigger mistake to pay him.

Yes, it as was also a mistake to pay Zeke.
Should have payed Dak first,,, Zeke and Lawrence, Byron.. all irrelevant at this point.
We build in reverse.

Carson

Reaction score
Chido has been a huge disappointment. I thought with his athleticism and strength that he would be pretty good. He's been far from that. Everyone seems to beat him like a drum. .

It’s the scheme. Seriously.

Look at guys who leave Dallas and then become solid players. Carr, Claiborne, Ward etc.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Should have payed Dak first,,, Zeke and Lawrence, Byron.. all irrelevant at this point.
We build in reverse.

Yea I’m glad Dak wasn’t paid because he’s not worth anywhere near what he’s asking and a new coach may want to go in another direction.

I see them using the franchise tag and letting the new regime figure it out.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
If we have a new HC— it stands to reason he will want his offensive and defensive schemes and systems installed.

Any player that does not fit those schemes will need to be cut or traded.

Jones is a very solid cover man— but I’d take a wait-and-see approach and give the new HC a lot of latitude and say on who stays and who needs to go

Parcells famously said if you ask him to cook the meal, let him shop for the groceries. Hopefully JJ backs way off the new regime and gives him room to operate and get the job done

I was thinking the same thing.
Hope Meyer is studying tape of our players as we speak

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Exactly you can’t. Draft well, pray Awuzie and Lewis improve and sign a Marcus Peters

You know he will. But we can’t pay him what he wants for what he does here
Do we even know what he's asking for?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
First off, I like Byron. I'd love to have him back. But let's come to grips with a few things.

One, offenses attack whatever weakness we have. So yeah they don't attack our corners much because they can attack our safeties and linebackers. Who needs Adam Thielen when you can get 100 passing yards from Dalvin Cook?

I've come to grips its a scheme issue here. You can get similar corner play with a rookie next year. That's not to discredit Byron Jones its just what this defense is. They allow yardage and keep everything in front of them. Allows you to dink and dunk to your running back or tight ends for the score.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At this time, we don’t.

If it’s modest, I’m all for bringing him back.

But every site and source I’ve seen has him getting around 12-15 per year.
Yeah he's a prime candidate to go to a team that has a bunch of cap money and has to spend it. Sort of like Jacksonville and the Browns use to do. He's going to a team that has a bunch of cap space.

Carson

Reaction score
Yeah he's a prime candidate to go to a team that has a bunch of cap money and has to spend it. Sort of like Jacksonville and the Browns use to do. He's going to a team that has a bunch of cap space.

He should get it as well.

Durable, solid cover guy. Hasn’t missed a game, good locker room guy as well

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At this time, we don’t.

If it’s modest, I’m all for bringing him back.

But every site and source I’ve seen has him getting around 12-15 per year.
Guess we'll have to wait and see if those are accurate, or if the FO can structure his contract to lessen the blow. He's 27 years old, so a long term contract with lower annual salary isn't out of the question.

romonumberone

Reaction score
We spent a 1st round pick on him. He has been one of the best corners in football the last 2 years. Whatever we replace him with will be a downgrade. Everyone gets moved up one notch..... It should be going the other way. Awuzie will now be are shutdown corner, etc.

This is the problem when you pay Zeke & Dak & Jaylon.

The Cowboys are not being run as a business. It is being run as an owner who wants everyone to like him and he is buddies with all the players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have as many interceptions over the past two years.
:thumbup: