Twitter: Dallas unlikely to retain Byron Jones

kumizi

Reaction score
They’re going to lose a lot of talent because of the Zeke, Dak, Amari deals. Pretty sure Quinn and Cobb are also gone in addition to Byron. This year was the year and we wasted it with clapper.

EJK24

Reaction score
Hes one of the better players on this team but i just dont think they could afford him with the rest of the holes on this team.

Its a shame to lose a first round pick but once you factor in Zeke, Dak, and Amari... your going to lose good players. Every good team runs into this problem where good players leave because they dont have enough to go around but the part that bothers me the most is we are going to pay Dak and Amari now on top of what we gave Zeke and in all reality, what has it gotten us?

Dak is gonna get paid because QBs are just too hard to find and Amari they traded a first round pick for so I cant see him walking after a 2 year rental.

They are in a bad spot here but there was a report at the beginning of the season that Byron was going to get squeezed out and it looks like that's what we have now.

Top skill position players get paid big money but if we sign Dak and Amari which I assume we will sign both, we are gonna be in trouble trying to fix this defense. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign them because I don't know what feasible options we have without them but with DT, Corner, and Safety all positions that need help in the off-season, we are going to have to hope to hit on a few draft picks that can come in and play right away.

We cant have a first round starter with projects in the second or third.

Between multiple big contracts to be sorted out and a head coaching search, I think realistically we are a couple years away from getting things going back in the right direction.

A new HC is going to have to see what he has in this roster and who is going stay and go plus implementing his own system.

Byron is gonna walk unfortunately because he is due more then it would make sense for us to pay. I just want to keep as many solid players as possible while managing the massive contracts on the way for our Qb and Wr.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A few takes.

We fans all want more turnovers and the fact that as a team the Cowboys don't get many picks is more likely linked to coaching (technical instruction and schemes) and player evaluation (scouting, internally and externally). The team's refusal to upgrade safety is the biggest factor IMO in why they don't get more interceptions.

I don't think too many fans appreciate the concept of a shutdown corner. Stats don't tell you how teams avoid him in their weekly game-planning or when quarterbacks progress to their next target because Byron has great coverage on his guy. I learned this first hand when one of the corners I coached was unanimously named all conference despite not having big-time stats. The other coaches in the league voted for him because with what they saw from him in film (early games and previous season), they avoided him. I went back and reviewed the stats and while our other starting corner had 4 picks (including 2 house calls), he was targeted a lot, and gave up a ton of completions. Franklin, who went on to Cal, the Eagles, and the CFL, was barely targeted and his completion percentage was off-the-charts. I coached the linebackers that year and I was aware of how good he was and kind of took him for granted. Big-picture wise, you tend to focus on the CB who had two pick-sixes because they stand out.

But at the end of the day, we want interceptions especially from a guy who's about to get paid huge $$$.

Just understand, that's another valuable asset (high draft pick) that the Cowboys will have to spend on his replacement and one less to upgrade at safety or defensive tackle. If the next cornerback is saddled with Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods, and minimal interior pressure from subpar defensive tackles, he will suffer a similar fate.

I'm confident that coaching will fix a lot of these issues, whether Byron is here next year or not.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
A few takes.

We fans all want more turnovers and the fact that as a team the Cowboys don't get many picks is more likely linked to coaching (technical instruction and schemes) and player evaluation (scouting, internally and externally). The team's refusal to upgrade safety is the biggest factor IMO in why they don't get more interceptions.

I don't think too many fans appreciate the concept of a shutdown corner. Stats don't tell you how teams avoid him in their weekly game-planning or when quarterbacks progress to their next target because Byron has great coverage on his guy. I learned this first hand when one of the corners I coached was unanimously named all conference despite not having big-time stats. The other coaches in the league voted for him because with what they saw from him in film (early games and previous season), they avoided him. I went back and reviewed the stats and while our other starting corner had 4 picks (including 2 house calls), he was targeted a lot, and gave up a ton of completions. Franklin, who went on to Cal, the Eagles, and the CFL, was barely targeted and his completion percentage was off-the-charts. I coached the linebackers that year and I was aware of how good he was and kind of took him for granted. Big-picture wise, you tend to focus on the CB who had two pick-sixes because they stand out.

But at the end of the day, we want interceptions especially from a guy who's about to get paid huge $$$.

Just understand, that's another valuable asset (high draft pick) that the Cowboys will have to spend on his replacement and one less to upgrade at safety or defensive tackle. If the next cornerback is saddled with Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods, and minimal interior pressure from subpar defensive tackle, he will suffer a similar fate.

I'm confident that coaching will fix a lot of these issues, whether Byron is here next year or not.
True, but it's also one huge salary that takes away from other needed players.

visionary

Reaction score
This is YET another example of the sheer stupidity and lack of planning by this FO

guy is soft and can’t make interceptions to save his life

He is not worth what he will be asking

there is no way we were signing him

We should have traded him before the trade deadline for a rd 1/2 pick and use that to pick a CB to replace him

stupid
Stupid
But that’s who we are

kskboys

Reaction score
This is YET another example of the sheer stupidity and lack of planning by this FO

guy is soft and can’t make interceptions to save his life

He is not worth what he will be asking

there is no way we were signing him

We should have traded him before the trade deadline for a rd 1/2 pick and use that to pick a CB to replace him

stupid
Stupid
But that’s who we are
Yup, I have to agree. However, we are terrible at evaluating both players and schemes.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Right, but how much of those 5 years was he playing safety, when they should have had him playing CB?...and how many opportunities has he had by comparison, when teams don't throw at him much?

He's 23rd the last two seasons. Brandon Carr who we all couldn't wait to get rid of has 2 less and 2 more into over that time. Awuzie is 17th. I don't think passes defensed is too reliable of a stat based on volume alone. As I said I don't want Jones gone, but I just don't know if we can justify paying him top dollar.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's 23rd the last two seasons. Brandon Carr who we all couldn't wait to get rid of has 2 less and 2 more into over that time. Awuzie is 17th. I don't think passes defensed is too reliable of a stat based on volume alone. As I said I don't want Jones gone, but I just don't know if we can justify paying him top dollar.
We can't afford top dollar, but I'd like to see them try to work something out.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
He is going to get more than he is worth. Solid player but someone will pay him too much. The Cowboys made a mistake in giving Elliott his contract shouldn’t do the same here.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might be, but it's a bigger mistake to pay him.

Yes, it as was also a mistake to pay Zeke.
Good post! I don't think he's worth a huge contract and Zeke will only earn his money if we hire Urban Meyer.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We can't afford top dollar, but I'd like to see them try to work something out.

Agreed, but probably seeking top 5 money 14+ million a year. We have the money to offer that, but will have a lot of big money deals for players paid in the top 5 that actually aren't top 5 players. That's pretty scary.