Twitter: Dallas unlikely to retain Byron Jones

Hardline

Reaction score
And when they do, he never knows where the ball is and they dominate him. Do people think just because a QB did not go to a certain DB, he is good? Did you go play by play with the All 22 and see the context?

I guess this is where we are as a team. Sucking so bad we think someone like Byron Jones is good.
I see him play 16 games a year. I don't rely on others analysis of him.
Even the broadcasters that announce Cowboy games they will usually talk up how good Byron Jones is

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
No TDs allowed in the first twelve weeks of the season last year

Honestly loved the pick, hated that we never found his position til barely last season. Hate to see him leave but it’s already to many high paid players at certain positions we can’t pay everybody. He can blanket away a few players gives up short plays nothing big yeah hardly gets thrown at so there’s that for lack of picks, It’s just sad our defense can’t force turnovers.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Byron is the #70 most targeted CB in the league. He takes his guy away.

That being said, I'd rather have Quinn than Byron. We're thin in the secondary, but we're quietly really, really thin at DL, and I think we're going to miss the heck out of Quinn beating his man on literally 33% of the snaps if we let him go.

Also, Byron's proven that he's a stud in press-man, but struggles in zone. If we switch DCs to a guy who plays zone or off-man (a la Mike Zimmer), Byron's probably not going to be worth a big paycheck in that scheme.

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
And when they do, he never knows where the ball is and they dominate him. Do people think just because a QB did not go to a certain DB, he is good? Did you go play by play with the All 22 and see the context?

I guess this is where we are as a team. Sucking so bad we think someone like Byron Jones is good.

Yep, its not that hes great, its more a case of everyone around him is bad. Dude cant locate or hang on to a ball to save his life. This is something that DBs are taught from day 1. Ride the receivers hips, when they turn and look for the ball you do the same. I think when corners arrive here they must be coaching that out of them.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yep, its not that hes great, its more a case of everyone around him is bad. Dude cant locate or hang on to a ball to save his life. This is something that DBs are taught from day 1. Ride the receivers hips, when they turn and look for the ball you do the same. I think when corners arrive here they must be coaching that out of them.

I have never seen a whole group of DBs that just have no ball skills at all and have no idea where the ball is when its in the air. Is it coaching or the players? I think it is both.

But all our DBs are so bad, the QB has his pick of the litter. If QBs wanted to start keying on Jones, they could torch him. But they just take the easiest play. So Jones might be the least horrible but that does not mean he's good. Every time I see the ball goes to Jones, he is trailing the receiver and has no position to make a play. And has no idea where the ball is.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Byron is the #70 most targeted CB in the league. He takes his guy away.

That being said, I'd rather have Quinn than Byron. We're thin in the secondary, but we're quietly really, really thin at DL, and I think we're going to miss the heck out of Quinn beating his man on literally 33% of the snaps if we let him go.

Also, Byron's proven that he's a stud in press-man, but struggles in zone. If we switch DCs to a guy who plays zone or off-man (a la Mike Zimmer), Byron's probably not going to be worth a big paycheck in that scheme.

This is actually a damn good post. Despite being a big Byron believer since drafting him

Praxit

Reaction score
....thats good news. He reminds me of Scandy. Once in while, good play maker.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
From the point of turnovers concerned, but not passing defense , ( of course Awuzie has been bad this year)

They suck at pass defense overall. Have you seen them make any plays this season? This team has been privileged with an easy schedule and faced several offenses that are pathetic.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Whether Zeke was worth resigning is a separate issue, but as someone who was happy when we drafted Jones and still likes him as a player, I'm fine letting him walk. Of course with some different coaches, watch him lead the league in ints next year. Hopefully not with the Eagles.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I do not think he has been arrested or has failed a drug test. So he does not belong on this defense, let him walk.