Dallas won the first day of the draft, here is why

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Once you start to pay your QB big money, you should already have a solidified roster in place. We don't. At least not one to compete for a Super Bowl. We can compete for a division and more wild card wins but that's it.

That's like, your opinion, man.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I don’t care how much it costs, I’m not paying the bill.

It's mind-boggling that 'fans' continue to trot out this lame argument. The salary cap means that you should care how much it costs because the more it costs the more it will constrain your team's ability to improve at other positions.

There's simply no reasonable way to compare Cooper to players taken last night without factoring in that he will cost 5-6 times more (against the cap) over the next 4-5 seasons than his comparators. Any attempt to do so amounts to being a fanboy.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cooper is ridiculous and a definite number 1. He’d look even better if we had an QB that could actually get him the ball outside a go route on the sideline with no safety help over the top and Cooper telling that Qb to throw him the damn ball because the CBS are sitting on the routes.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
If the Cowboys keep that first rounder, how much money does that save? Maybe $15 million/year? That could pay for 2 or maybe 3 really solid free agents.
The unseen but very real cost of the trade is that missing depth.

BTW, that pick would have been higher than #27 if we had kept it.

I like Cooper, but it is FAR from clear it was the wisest decision in the long run.
Time will tell.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL imagine making a thread like this before the rookies have even played a down in the NFL and Cooper played a full season for us.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys were extremely high on the need side after seeing the results of that "we don't need no stinkin' #1WR" idiotic decision.

They were right about not needing a #1 WR but the problem is that they thought they could pull it off with Jason Garrett and Scott Linehan.

seamus18

Reaction score
It's mind-boggling that 'fans' continue to trot out this lame argument. The salary cap means that you should care how much it costs because the more it costs the more it will constrain your team's ability to improve at other positions.

There's simply no reasonable way to compare Cooper to players taken last night without factoring in that he will cost 5-6 times more (against the cap) over the next 4-5 seasons than his comparators. Any attempt to do so amounts to being a fanboy.
So you missed the rest of my argument, and just focused on that one piece. OK.

Rayman70

Reaction score
in this order, here are my best draft picks of the night. Cooper, Josh Jacobs and Ed Oliver. Best of the best in day 1. Everyone else is kinda the same.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
So you missed the rest of my argument, and just focused on that one piece. OK.

The rest of your argument is essentially what motivated the OP to make this thread. Cooper is a sure thing while the guys drafted last night aren't. Fine. From the perspective of talent acquisition that means the Cowboys did relatively well with their first round pick. That still doesn't allow us to reasonably ignore the fact that he will cost a great deal more against the cap than last night's picks. And you can't claim we won the first night of the draft without factoring that in. It speaks to the value that each team is getting.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I agree unless Dallas fails to re-sign Cooper, in which case it was a total waste.

But there's no reason to doubt they'll re-sign him, so I'm not worried.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Not only a first round pick for Cooper (who was fantastic and totally proved me wrong) but a LATE first round pick because Dallas went into the playoffs.

I went to see the Avengers last night and was perfectly at peace with the Cowboys' first round.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Cooper would have been a top 10 pick if drafted last night but, since the player passing the ball to him couldn't hit
a peach basket from 12 yards, not so much.
yeah funny how Cooper's stats prorated for the season here in Dallas would have been absolutely incredible but okay bro, keep on with the DDS.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
AMARI COOPER. If he was in this years top 32 picks, he would have been the best pick by far...not even close. When analyzing the top 32 picks from day one, Cooper many would argue, was the best pick of the night if you factor in the trade we did to land him. Top 5 player easily. We actually got better last night after all the dominoes fell and when you look at who is available day 2. Its a win win for us.Thoughts?

Amare.... oh oh.... compare oh oh oh oh

sandbridge77

Reaction score
We will know who wins the draft in 3 years, now it’s nothing more than forum fodder.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If you are declaring Cooper to be your first round pick then you just drafted a prospect who was held back for three years during grade school and is mysteriously exempt from the rookie contract scale and will immediately be due 14 million with a raise to come...