Dallas won the first day of the draft, here is why

RoboQB

Reaction score
Mack would be the best pick if we are playing that gane

That's a fair point.
Dallas went 7-2 with Cooper on the field the last nine games of the season.
Then, they managed to advance to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

The Bears lost a Heartbreaker at home in the Wild Card round.
Mack had a great first season in Chicago.

Both are definitely great acquisitions for their teams.

I think hindsight would only cement the Cleveland Browns decision to draft Baker Mayfield.
You have a point on selecting Mack over Cooper simply because premier pass rusher
always trumps premier receiver on draft day.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing Amari Cooper in Kellen Moore's offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because this is a passing league, and the Cowboys can't trot out an Allen Hurns, Deonte Thompson, or Terrance Williams as their number one receiver and expect teams to fear their offense. The first seven games of 2018 taught us this.
But our passing offense even with Cooper is still bottom tier.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think some of you need to take off the blue and white shades. We got 1/2 year of cheap service out of our first rounder. Starting this year he'll cost big bucks.
Meanwhile, every player drafted last night will provide 4 years of cheap service to the team that drafted him.
So from the perspective of cap value it's far from obvious that we won the first round. Even if you imagine we acquired one of the better talents.

Not all those "cheap service" players will walk onto the team NFL- Ready like Cooper did, plus some will turn out to be a bust, or at least not as good as they hoped for out of a 1st round pick.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I was kind of a bummer that we didn't have a first round pick.
But getting Amari and having the Raiders pick so low in the first with our pick eases the "pain" of not having a first round pick.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Whose to say we had to have a 1st round type WR though?

We might have been better served using our 1st round pick like on a DL then taking a top receiver in 2nd round for example.
Might've, whose to say, maybe, never can tell, could've, if, and, or...…….
The Cowboys by-passed all the if's and's and maybe's...…...we needed a quality WR and we got one. And he was NFL Ready from day one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Might've, whose to say, maybe, never can tell, could've, if, and, or...…….
The Cowboys by-passed all the if's and's and maybe's...…...we needed a quality WR and we got one. And he was NFL Ready from day one.
Yea he was. But if we hadn’t placed ourselves in such a pickle to begin with that type of decision might not have been necessary.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Yea he was. But if we hadn’t placed ourselves in such a pickle to begin with that type of decision might not have been necessary.

You're living in the past. Amari Cooper and the Cowboys are in the here and now. The Cowboys got what they needed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're living in the past. Amari Cooper and the Cowboys are in the here and now. The Cowboys got what they needed.
Maybe so but I’d argue they might not have needed to make as big of splash if they had made better decisions going in. The Cooper deal was basically a knee jerk reaction that worked out last year but could have ripple effects moving forward, beginning with this draft.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
YES I happen to think Amari is better. What has Obj done lately? How long is he gonna cling to that Monday night 1 hand catch? HE VANISHES.

Dude has 3 1300 yard seasons. Wake me when Amari can get out of the 1100 yard cellar

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don't think the scheme is driven by the skill set of the QB? These guys are professionals. They didn't get to be OC and HC because of luck (not counting JG of course).
Right. Our scheme has been dumbed down for Dakster.

nobody

Reaction score
You don't think the scheme is driven by the skill set of the QB? These guys are professionals. They didn't get to be OC and HC because of luck (not counting JG of course).

The QB's skillset definitely plays are role, but there's a reason they got rid of Linehan. Linehan stubbornly refused to make alterations to the scheme and adjustments mid-game. His entire coaching career record reflects that.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
The QB's skillset definitely plays are role, but there's a reason they got rid of Linehan. Linehan stubbornly refused to make alterations to the scheme and adjustments mid-game. His entire coaching career record reflects that.

To me, that was some more Dak friendly political stuff than the OC being an issue. Of course now we are gonna have a kid as the OC and I personally expect a very simple offense that most NFL Defenses will eat up.

Beaker42

Reaction score
AMARI COOPER. If he was in this years top 32 picks, he would have been the best pick by far...not even close. When analyzing the top 32 picks from day one, Cooper many would argue, was the best pick of the night if you factor in the trade we did to land him. Top 5 player easily. We actually got better last night after all the dominoes fell and when you look at who is available day 2. Its a win win for us.Thoughts?
The giy’s Going into
How do you compare a player that's been playing for a few years to unproven rookies?

If they'd had a re-draft of Cooper before that trade, I would bet he wouldn't have been taken as high as he was but after he showed up in Dallas, his stock went on the rise. We don't know how many teams Gruden shopped Cooper to with no takers for a 1st. The Cowboys were extremely high on the need side after seeing the results of that "we don't need no stinkin' #1WR" idiotic decision.

The reason I liked the trade was because they needed a #1WR and he was better than any they could have taken in this draft. But I wouldn't say he was the best player out of all those picked last night, only time will tell and one of those WR's may prove to be better in the long run but I am not a long run kinda guy, I kinda wanna win now.
the guys going into his 6th season in the pros. These kids are still kids. He should be the best player.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AMARI COOPER. If he was in this years top 32 picks, he would have been the best pick by far...not even close. When analyzing the top 32 picks from day one, Cooper many would argue, was the best pick of the night if you factor in the trade we did to land him. Top 5 player easily. We actually got better last night after all the dominoes fell and when you look at who is available day 2. Its a win win for us.Thoughts?
Great trade! Too bad Garrett sucks!