Dan Bailey, Travis Frederick and RB screen plays

Spectre

Reaction score
Anyone know exactly why Dallas released Dan Bailey? Seems like a dumb idea unless a real reason is provided.
How long is Frederick supposed to be out? (approximately)

Dallas should run RB screen plays. A lot and often. They don't. When they have, it worked really well. Elliott is suited to huge gains in screen plays... Receivers are mediocre... O-line is tremendous. Dallas should run a lot more RB screens.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I am just going off of my memory, but they are not very good at executing rb screens

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Anyone know exactly why Dallas released Dan Bailey? Seems like a dumb idea unless a real reason is provided.

Dallas should run RB screen plays. A lot and often. They don't. When they have, it worked really well. Elliott is suited to huge gains in screen plays... Receivers are mediocre... O-line is tremendous. Dallas should run a lot more RB screens.

What would qualify as a real reason for you? He was cut because his health had slipped the past couple of years and the front office felt they could get similar production for a lot less. The coaches may have also been looking beyond just this season in trying to hit on a younger player while Bailey could be hitting the wall of his career.

No one knows when Frederick will be back because the time it takes to recover varies. He could be back after a few weeks or out for the year. The Cowboys are being hopeful for now that his recovery will be quick.

Good screening teams practice them a lot, just like teams that are good at the rub routes. Neither of those seem to have been a priority under Garrett.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score

RB screens are great, until you do them too much. Then you get 5 yard losses. They're risky and can hurt you it you do it too much.

That being said, I'd like to see 3-5 a game.

Haimerej

Reaction score
They're supposedly working on screens this year. I'm not that enthusiastic about it because they're mostly effective against aggressive pass rushing teams. Until they make teams feel they have to pin their ears and get after Dak, I doubt they'll be great at them.

JBond

Reaction score

Lol. Attention deficit disorder.

Bailey is falling apart.

Frederick is out for a while. Possibly the season.

I also like screens with Zeke.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Back in the 70's and early 80's the Cowboys were the absolute best at executing several variations of the screen play.

Go Cowboys!

Beat me too it. Tony Dorsett was the best at running those screens. Use to love it when Roger would fake the screen throw to the right and come back to the left to TD.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Back in the 70's and early 80's the Cowboys were the absolute best at executing several variations of the screen play.

Go Cowboys!

Yeah I remember them. But since then defensive lineman have become too fast to allow a screen to develop. The screens of today are of the quicker variety.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Our defense consistently blows up screen plays when offenses try them on us. Why would we invest time in a play that has a very low percentage of working? LBers are just too smart and fast these days.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You've got bad memory bro.

Dak, Zeke, the Cowboys offense and the Steelers defense disagree. :D:cool:

No, I remembered that play,and it is not the only successful one they have run. I just remember more failure than success. The line does lots of things well, but there are plays they dont run to well. I am all for screens though. RB, WR, and TE.

They didn't run them often with Murray or other rb's in JG era. Maybe it is a philosophy thing.

superonyx

Reaction score
They released Bailey because they made a decision that was in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys.
That’s a dismissive rude way to answer this guy.

And people actually gave you likes for this type of response.
Should we have discussions on a message board and not snarky closes responses?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That’s a dismissive rude way to answer this guy.

And people actually gave you likes for this type of response.
Should we have discussions on a message board and not snarky closes responses?
Yeah, I thought the same thing when Garrett repeated it 20 times last year in a press conference, so I hear what you are saying.