Twitter: Dane Brugler: Drafting and playing a rookie QB is an investment, not a quick fix

ShiningStar

Reaction score
im personally not a fan of sitting the Qbs now a days. Id rather find out quickly if they can do it or not. than let the vet help them.

ghst187

Reaction score
I’d trade Dak right now for Mayfield if we could have Romo come in as QB coach or OC

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So little comes down to these QB talents any more given the state of transition from the college game to the NFL.

Back 30-40 years ago, they both played the same game. Same rules.

Now? The NFL is struggling to take the talent and make it fit.

It happens with QBs. Happens with OL too.

And with no practices and time to work on it.

The wave of the future is going to be offenses that adapt and make their offenses just like the talent that is coming out versus just saying they need to "learn".

What is a QB going to learn now? Seriously.

Spread concepts, things they have been taught since Pee Wee.

Are they "unlearning" so the old guard of the NFL is trying to reprogram?

It is just silly to talk about.

Get a good college QB, try to make good on the investment.

If it doesn't look good in a couple of years, scrap it and move on. Get another one.

Otherwise you are looking for a unicorn.

Rodgers is the one generational talent that has come out in the last decade plus.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’d trade Dak right now for Mayfield if we could have Romo come in as QB coach or OC
Then you'd be going backward at the position.
But on the plus side he's still under contract at a mere 32M GTD.

Baker should have been a second round pick and he should have set a year.

In 5 games (4 starts) he's fumbled 4 times (a concern for me when he was drafted) and he had 5 INTs.

Baker was NEVER anywhere neat the QB Pat Mahomes is.
I'd trade DLaw, Dak and Zeke for Mahomes today.

Alexander

Reaction score

I don't think going to Mayfield from Prescott is necessarily backward.

What are you basing that off of?

I can tell you right now, I think Mayfield is more accurate now than Prescott could ever hope to be on his best day.

In terms of timing and touch in a quick offense, Mayfield is superior.

Prescott has to wait for his targets to present themselves as open.

Alexander

Reaction score
Rodgers is a great QB because he has accuracy and can throw passes where WRs have no choice but to catch the pass.

College QBs are so used to open schemed targets, it makes accuracy less of an important trait.

I know there is no stat to track it, but college QBs need to be evaluated on contested pass percentage.

Maybe some geek can figure out a next gen stat to figure that out.

Sydla

Reaction score

In 5 games (4 starts) he's fumbled 4 times (a concern for me when he was drafted) and he had 5 INTs.

Depends on what you think of Dak. If you think what you are seeing is kind of his ceiling, you’d be wise to trade him for Mayfield.

I’d consider Dak for Darnold as well.

Reaction score
I don't believe either Dak or Mayfield can thrive with these coaches.

Comparing and contrasting QB's is all well and good. But being put into a position to succeed does not exist in Dallas

32BellyOption

Reaction score
So little comes down to these QB talents any more given the state of transition from the college game to the NFL.

Back 30-40 years ago, they both played the same game. Same rules.

Now? The NFL is struggling to take the talent and make it fit.

It happens with QBs. Happens with OL too.

And with no practices and time to work on it.

The wave of the future is going to be offenses that adapt and make their offenses just like the talent that is coming out versus just saying they need to "learn".

What is a QB going to learn now? Seriously.

Spread concepts, things they have been taught since Pee Wee.

Are they "unlearning" so the old guard of the NFL is trying to reprogram?

It is just silly to talk about.

Get a good college QB, try to make good on the investment.

If it doesn't look good in a couple of years, scrap it and move on. Get another one.

Otherwise you are looking for a unicorn.

Rodgers is the one generational talent that has come out in the last decade plus.

I agree. Regardless of how Dak finishes this season draft one. Problem is we have no one to coach them up. I feel bad for Dak as he’s not getting the coaching he needs.

ghst187

Reaction score

I agree but you better bring Andy Reid with him

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
haha, guys keep yapping about Dak's yardage, but when he was a rookie, he only had 2 sub-200 yard games. I wonder if any of that had to do with Dez, Witten and a stellar offensive line. You know like the one Tom Brady has always had.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
im personally not a fan of sitting the Qbs now a days. Id rather find out quickly if they can do it or not. than let the vet help them.

I think it depends on the QB. I remember when P. Manning was asked about starting a QB his rookie year or sitting a QB his rookie year, he said the experience he gained by starting his rookie year was invaluable. He said he couldn't have learned what he learned by sitting on the bench. Mahomes was asked recently how he would be playing the position if he had started his rookie year. Mahomes said he would be out there just trying to make plays. Credited Alex Smith for a lot of his development.

When a QB is on the field just trying to make plays, there's no flow to the offense, no consistency from the QB position, and no consistency to the offense.

There is no way to find out "quickly" if a QB can or can't do it. They say a QB takes his biggest jump from year 1 to year 2, with incremental improvement from year 2 to year 3. Some QBs will make their biggest jump in improvement in year 3.