Twitter: Dane Brugler: Drafting and playing a rookie QB is an investment, not a quick fix

Chrispierce

Reaction score
In general that’s true. You’re usually going to have a bumpy ride the first year or two,but I don’t see big downsides to playing them unless they just aren’t mature enough yet (like Goff was his rookie year),or some other situation where it’s a bad idea to stick a rookie out there. Like as bad as Cle is..they are still better off on offense with Mayfield than a vet right now,

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
im personally not a fan of sitting the Qbs now a days. Id rather find out quickly if they can do it or not. than let the vet help them.

I like playing college ball with college players. Get a guy who can run, and run him. Let him develop his passing game. If he develops enough, sign him. If not, get a new one.

That's a system you can run a team by.

I do like that we kept 2 developmental QBs behind Dak. Not runners, but at least we're giving ourselves a chance to get a new QB.

John813

Reaction score
Omar Kelly is a weird dude. Been hating on Tannehill for years and seemingly has wanted a new QB for years.
****-s on drafting and playing a rookie QB.

morasp

Reaction score
It's extremely hard to over estimate the value of coaching. I thought the Eagles were doomed the way they mortgaged their draft lost their best LB, LT, and starting QB but they one the Super Bowl. The Rams were terrible under Jeff Fisher and now they seem unbeatable.

Ken

Reaction score
haha, guys keep yapping about Dak's yardage, but when he was a rookie, he only had 2 sub-200 yard games. I wonder if any of that had to do with Dez, Witten and a stellar offensive line. You know like the one Tom Brady has always had.
Also had a 67% completion percentage...

but he sucks.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Also had a 67% completion percentage...

but he sucks.
All that 200 yard talk went right out the window when he threw for more and we rushed for 30 yards and lost.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Tom Brady has always had a stellar OL?
Well coached, well prepared across the board. It's been noted over the years however that when the O line is playing great and Brady takes hits and pressured he's not that great.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well coached, well prepared across the board. It's been noted over the years however that when the O line is playing great and Brady takes hits and pressured he's not that great.

The reality is that Brady makes others around him better. He makes that OL better because he makes quick decisions, can get rid of the ball quickly, read a defense and know where to go with it before the ball is even snapped.

John813

Reaction score

It's like they are playing Madden and know which Olinemen to let go, sign and draft.
Never elite, recently anyways, but they can reshuffle the line yearly, it seems, and not miss a beat.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The reality is that Brady makes others around him better. He makes that OL better because he makes quick decisions, can get rid of the ball quickly, read a defense and know where to go with it before the ball is even snapped.
No argument here. Brady, Brees and AR are on another level.
But my point is, in general the system is a very important piece of the teams success. We saw this when Cassell subbed.
No matter who the QB is, they need protection to get the ball out and WRs/TEs that can be in a spot to make a play.