Daniel Jeremiah how to build elite roster

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
So Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks (two nfl analyst I actually respect) did a podcast today on how to build a championship caliber roster. They broke the list down into 5 different categories. Bucky did mention that the Cowboys may be closer than most think. They both mentioned the Rams as the team that probably has it all. Anyways here is their 5 keys to building an elite roster:

1. QB - I think it’s self explanatory. They mentioned how Dak is iffy sometimes he looks like the guy, sometimes he isn’t. The jury is still out.

2. Two very good pash rushers. They both said Lawrence definitely fits. Daniel said they need another elite pass rusher. While Bucky said Gregory or Irving both have that ability if they get their stuff together.

3. 3 playmakers on offense who can score on any play. They both mentioned Zeke and Cooper fitting that bill. They mentioned Beasley but said he’s only a role player. Daniel said an elite TE could put this offense on another level.

4. 3 playmakers on defense besides the two very good pass rushers. They were both confident we had this down with LVE, Jones, and jaylon. That without mentioning a healthy lee would give us 4.

5. 3 very good to elite OL. They said we definitely have that with Smith, Martin , and a healthy Frederick. Said we’re in much better shape then most teams in that area.

Finished by saying your team needs at least 12 blue chip players to really compete for a championship. Just an interesting podcast thought I’d share.

Last edited:

Romotil45

Reaction score
So Daniel Jeremiah and Buck Brooks(two nfl analyst I actually respect) did a podcast today on how to build a championship caliber roster. They broke the list down into 5 different categories. Bucky did mention that the Cowboys may be closer than most think. They both mentioned the Rams as the team that probably has it all. Anyways here is their 5 keys to building an elite roster:

1. QB - I think it’s self explanatory. They mentioned how Dak is iffy sometimes he looks like the guy, sometimes he isn’t. The jury is still out.

2. Two very good pash rushers. They both said Lawrence definitely fits. Daniel said they need another elite pass rusher. While Bucky said Gregory or Irving both have that ability if they get their stuff together.

3. 3 playmakers on offense who can score on any play. They both mentioned Zeke and Cooper fitting that bill. They mentioned Beasley but said he’s only a role player. Daniel said an elite TE could put this offense on another level.

4. 3 playmakers on defense besides the two very good pass rushers. They were both confident we had this down with LVE, Jones, and jaylon. That without mentioning a healthy lee would give us 4.

5. 3 very good to elite OL. They said we definitely have that with Smith, Martin , and a healthy Frederick. Said we’re in much better shape then most teams in that area.

Finished by saying your team needs at least 12 blue chip players to really compete for a championship. Just an interesting podcast thought I’d share.

Yes we have good pieces. But we lack a pocket passer who has velocity to fit the ball into tight widows, who has the confidence to attack 1 on 1 coverage vertically, and who can read a defense. We also lack great coaching.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for sharing.

Some of that sounds a little but arbitrary, but it’s thought-provoking.

Playmakers at each level of the defense, protection, and a top QB would be must haves on my list. If Dak were really the guy we’d be pretty close.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Yes we have good pieces. But we lack a pocket passer who has velocity to fit the ball into tight widows, who has the confidence to attack 1 on 1 coverage vertically, and who can read a defense. We also lack great coaching.
Thanks for sharing.

Playmakers at each level of the defense, protection, and a top QB would be must haves on my list. If Dak were really the guy we’d be pretty close.

What do you think Dak’s ceiling is if we had A TE on the level of Kelce to go along Cooper and Zeke?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks (two nfl analyst I actually respect) did a podcast today on how to build a championship caliber roster. They broke the list down into 5 different categories. Bucky did mention that the Cowboys may be closer than most think. They both mentioned the Rams as the team that probably has it all. Anyways here is their 5 keys to building an elite roster:

AGreed on the roster part. But we are woefully lacking on scheme and coaching. Will forever be behind the 8 ball there. Its taken these clowns 10 games to finally start doing things they should have been doing all season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think Dak’s ceiling is if we had A TE on the level of Kelce to go along Cooper and Zeke?

I think Dak’s ceiling is in the top-8 neighborhood if you protect him better than most QBs need to be protected. He takes great care of the ball and can beat you running. He’s capable of beating teams with his arm if he’s not rattled. Plus, he’s clutch.

He gets rattled though, and falls apart quicker than most.

Verdict

Reaction score

Thank you very much for posting that. Very good stuff. Appreciate the effort you put into that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

We need a top flight TE. Especially with a QB like Dak. Needs that big target in the intermediate routes. Get the Oline dominant again and I like the offense. Not sure the coaching is going to change at this point. On defense we need one pro bowl type safety and another quality safety and I think they can roll. Given that Gregory and IRvin can play and stay out of trouble.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Dak’s ceiling is in the top-8 neighborhood if you protect him better than most QBs need to be protected. He takes great care of the ball and can beat you running. He’s capable of beating teams with his arm if he’s not rattled. Plus, he’s clutch.

I agree with this post, but have a bit of a qualifier. Dak's ceiling is limited by his unwillingness to cut the ball loose and trust what he is seeing. 1. That could (and should) change over time for the better and 2. That's also a strength because he protects the football most of the time. He might be the best in the NFL at it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree with this post, but have a bit of a qualifier. Dak's ceiling is limited by his unwillingness to cut the ball loose and trust what he is seeing. 1. That could (and should) change over time for the better and 2. That's also a strength because he protects the football most of the time. He might be the best in the NFL at it.

Yah he has to open it up for sure. That needs to be coached out of him.

Bigdog

Reaction score

I agree with you but he needs to use his legs more to extend some plays. I use to hate that when guys like Cunningham and McNabb did that to us. He doesn’t do that enough in my opinion.

Romotil45

Reaction score

Dak will never be a top 15 guy he is not the pocket passer the NFL game demands. A great TE would help. To win with Dak consistently you need a top five defense with shut down corners and elite pass rushers a great run game then you pray a guy like Brees doesn't put you in shootout anyway. In todays NFL its hard to hold a defense together look at the Seahawks. How long did they hold that great defense together 2-3 years ? You need a great pocket passer year in and year out to consistently play at a high level in this league that slants everything rules ect to the passing game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak will never be a top 15 guy he is not the pocket passer the NFL game demands. A great TE would help. To win with Dak consistently you need a top five defense with shut down corners and elite pass rushers a great run game then you pray a guy like Brees doesn't put you in shootout anyway. In todays NFL its hard to hold a defense together look at the Seahawks. How long did they hold that great defense together 2-3 years ? You need a great pocket passer year in and year out to consistently play at a high level in this league that slants everything rules ect to the passing game.

He’s already proven your analysis isn’t very accurate, as far as I’m concerned. We didn’t have a top five defense in 2016 and were contenders.

Romotil45

Reaction score
He’s already proven your analysis isn’t very accurate, as far as I’m concerned. We didn’t have a top five defense in 2016 and were contenders.

Im talking about making the playoffs year in and year out and actually winning in the playoffs. How many playoff games did Dak win in 16 ? That's my point. You need a great pocket passer and great coaching to do it. example the Patriots. History proves my point.

Zman5

Reaction score

Kelce and Ertz type of TE would help Dak more than a great WR in this offense. We are a run first ball control offense. We don't throw long passes somewhat by design. Dak needs a TE like Witten in his prime. A reliable big target who he can trow to when we need to convert a 3rd and 5 or longer. I don't think Romo would have been the Romo we know without Witten.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
This isn’t a bash Dak post.

But we are a QB away from elite. Dak can win us games and gets us into the playoffs. But if we had that Goff, Mahomes, Romo, Brady we’d be unstoppable
We had Romo..... Failed

Goff and Mahomes have no success in the playoffs either

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im talking about making the playoffs year in and year out and actually winning in the playoffs. How many playoff games did Dak win in 16 ? That's my point. You need a great pocket passer and great coaching to do it. example the Patriots. History proves my point.

QBs don’t win playoff games.

And you don’t need great pocket passers or great coaches to win championships. History disproves your point. The fact that great pocket passers and great coaches have one Supeerbowls doesn’t mean you can’t win them without either. And the fact that many teams have won it all without one or the other proves you wrong.

Games are won in the NFL on a positive passing effectiveness differential. There are many ways to achieve that.