Daniel Jeremiah on Sewell

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I mentioned this in a previous post a few weeks ago but Sewell is not the generational talent some think he is. That shouldn’t be taken as a slight. I still think he’s the best OT prospect in this draft, but I don’t think he’s the first tackle off the board in last year’s draft. I think he has the highest ceiling but I’m not sure his pass protection is as developed as his run blocking. He’s still super young and has obvious room to grow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1332500132617547777

cnuball21

Reaction score
I mentioned this in a previous post a few weeks ago but Sewell is not the generational talent some think he is. That shouldn’t be taken as a slight. I still think he’s the best OT prospect in this draft, but I don’t think he’s the first tackle off the board in last year’s draft. I think he has the highest ceiling but I’m not sure his pass protection is as developed as his run blocking. He’s still super young and has obvious room to grow.

Man I’d disagree. He had an elite + PFF graze last year as a 20 year old and he’s still learning and growing. Last years class was great, but I think he’s better than all of them.

His run blocking is more advanced now, but he jumps off the tape and it’s clear he has the athleticism and feet to be a stud in pass pro as well.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Some draftnicks want to be different. There are some that are rating Fields ahead of Lawrence. I trust Dane Bugler anyway.

timb2

Reaction score
Penei Sewell reminds me of starting to show my age is Chris Hinton. You could line Hinton at any of the o- line positions and he would be a All- Pro. Sewell I think has that kind of talent.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I’d disagree. He had an elite + PFF graze last year as a 20 year old and he’s still learning and growing. Last years class was great, but I think he’s better than all of them.

His run blocking is more advanced now, but he jumps off the tape and it’s clear he has the athleticism and feet to be a stud in pass pro as well.

Sewell is obviously very strong.

He is hard to "grade" because holding is rarely called in college (rarely relative to the NFL) and Sewell takes full advantage of that fact.

He holds to a fairly extreme degree.

Can't blame him for holding if it's not going to be called but it makes evaluating him difficult.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe the 4th position is the highest we could get, which probably takes us out of drafting him, unless a 3rd QB comes into play. If he's on the board, you hand in the card. Will he become a generational, hall of fame talent? Nobody knows, but he is being rated as the 2nd player rated in this draft class.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Sewell compares pretty well to Tristan Wirfs last year. Wirfs is an all-world athlete who put all the tools together for half-season run at the end of his career; he was my OT1 last year, but fell because of sample size and because he mostly played RT. So far, he's been excellent for the Buccaneers.

If anything Sewell is even more mobile than Wirfs is and looks pro ready at 20. He routinely hits second level and reach blocks that are just freaky.

That's why I don't get about this "he doesn't run block" criticism. Sewell hits blocks in space that probably not 10 NFL tackles can, and are you going to bet against a 6'6" 330 lb sophomore turning into a good drive blocker?

JBS

Reaction score
Sewell is obviously very strong.

He is hard to "grade" because holding is rarely called in college (rarely relative to the NFL) and Sewell takes full advantage of that fact.

He holds to a fairly extreme degree.

Can't blame him for holding if it's not going to be called but it makes evaluating him difficult.

Luckily for him, they don't call holding in the NFL anymore either

garyv

Reaction score

He looks overweight can he handle speed rushers my big concern

garyv

Reaction score
Have you seen him move in space?

Yes but as we both know he is going against players in College that can't sniff these quick twitch pass rushers in the NFL that's my concern but we do need OL....bad. What pick do you think we would have to be at to select him ?

I am real concerned though at signing Dak for 40 mil a year and wondered if he will be the same QB and should we be picking a QB since we are drafting in top 5 MAYBE

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yes but as we both know he is going against players in College that can't sniff these quick twitch pass rushers in the NFL that's my concern but we do need OL....bad. What pick do you think we would have to be at to select him ?

I am real concerned though at signing Dak for 40 mil a year and wondered if he will be the same QB and should we be picking a QB since we are drafting in top 5 MAYBE

I think he goes 3 or 4 so we’ll probably miss him.

I’m signing Dak without hesitation. It’s incredibly hard to hit on a QB so pay him and let’s build around him.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think there is a big chance 4 QBs go in the top 5,we cam still trade down and get a good haul.