1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Video: Danny White and Jackie Smith in 1977 game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Skybox22

Skybox22 Active Member

158 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    But that drop changed momentum completely. Dallas had momentum. After that drop Pitt went nuts and Staubach tried his damnest but not enough. That drop was huge. Pitt was probably better but Dallas could have beaten them if that catch was made.

2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

28,664 Messages
    21,204 Likes Received
    The losses to Pittsburgh in the 70s SBs never bothered me much because I always thought they had the better team. The loss in SB 5 to the Colts still passes me off this day. Almost as much as the loss to the Egirls in the 1980 NFCCG.

dcstar and fivetwos like this.
  3. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

16,220 Messages
    13,606 Likes Received
    You know what I find absolutely insane about the playoffs that year? I was 11 years old, just about to turn 12. I remember being in a car listening to the AFC Championship on the radio. Father was driving, mother in the passenger seat. He was a lifelong Steelers fan. What the hell did my mother have us doing? That I don't remember. Why was my father not home watching the game? It's not like he was some panzy, dude was an X inmate! My mother always had him by the testes. There's zero chance I'm listening to the NFC Championship game over the radio if the Cowboys are in it.

links18 likes this.
  4. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

15,792 Messages
    20,311 Likes Received
    I agree with that Pittsburgh thing.

I feel the opposite about the Rams losses in 79 and 83. We were better.

We were equal to or better than PHI, SF and Wash in 80-82, but playing on the road sunk us. Losing the QB in the last one didnt help.

links18 likes this.
  5. Established1971

Established1971 fiveandcounting

4,636 Messages
    3,251 Likes Received
    he was one of the Dirty Dozen, when the 75 team had 12 rookies and they made the Super Bowl

links18 likes this.
  6. acr731

acr731 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    5,485 Messages
    14,798 Likes Received
    Its a bit sad that Jackie is still getting bashed for that drop - it was 43 years ago. I would understand still being a little upset about if it cost Dallas the game, but it didn't. The drop came about mid point in the 3rd quarter and Dallas was only down by 1 after the field goal if I remember correctly. The Dallas D kind of stunk that day - that's what really cost them the game. Pitt torched them bad.

dcstar likes this.
  7. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

2,083 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    Thank you for posting that! I was in the Army in Germany at the time and this is the first time I got to watch that gams.

8. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

12,678 Messages
    18,529 Likes Received
    I remember that game too. great memories.

9. goshann

goshann Well-Known Member

455 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Sloppy game. could have easily lost

10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

34,130 Messages
    51,292 Likes Received
    Pittsburgh was NOT better than Dallas, which is why that game drives those players nuts.

That was the best team Roger every played on. He's said as much, and that game haunts him.

PA Cowboy Fan likes this.