Darren Waller fumbled that ball

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Even the referees don't respect this team -- come to think of it, do they ever?! This pathetic version of the Cowboys flat stinks! :facepalm:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Again, Mike did want to challenge it. That was clear. The problem was NY had already changed the call. All Mike would accomplish there was wasting a time out which is why Mike was pissed at the ref telling him where the call came from.

That's what I'm saying too per the rules I posted on reviewable situations where the Replay Official can chime in by themselves. Fumbles are 1 case where they can just like all scoring plays. In that replay clip I showed, you see a ref talking to McCarthy and holding up 3 fingers. I think he was telling Mike that there wasn't a 3rd step so they ruled a football move didn't take place before the ball was out which makes it incomplete. That being said, I would love to hear from McCarthy about what happened during that scenario.

Gaede

Reaction score
100% a catch and fumble. Refs could benefit from a little common sense. Dude caught, started running, and the ball was punched out. It was clear as day

Getting caught up in all these arbitrary intricacies is like seeing the trees, not the forest

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I disagree.

He caught the ball behind him at the 37, managed to bring the ball to out in front of his body and gets it knocked out at 39.5 yard line. I don't know how that is overruled by NY. The fix was in with this game, I have no doubt.

Okay, not sure what the yardage has to do with it but he had control, and had 2 feet down without question. The football move is all you're looking for after that. There was no tuck, and he was already headed upfield, so what you look for is a 3rd step which he almost gets down but clearly doesn't before the ball is out. So when none of those football moves listed happen on the play, you have to rule that a catch didn't happen.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
There were many, many, many bad calls but the Waller fumble that was called an incomplete pass was as bad as the Dez catch/no catch. Waller had the ball and was heading up the field when Jayron Kearse knocked that ball out of his hand.

3-7pts kept off the board, just what was needed to win the game.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
100% a catch and fumble. Refs could benefit from a little common sense. Dude caught, started running, and the ball was punched out. It was clear as day

Getting caught up in all these arbitrary intricacies is like seeing the trees, not the forest

The refs knew it was a fumble but wanted to help the Raiders out and change the game spread that was Cowboys -7.5 going into the game.

Ken

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying too per the rules I posted on reviewable situations where the Replay Official can chime in by themselves. Fumbles are 1 case where they can just like all scoring plays. In that replay clip I showed, you see a ref talking to McCarthy and holding up 3 fingers. I think he was telling Mike that there wasn't a 3rd step so they ruled a football move didn't take place before the ball was out which makes it incomplete. That being said, I would love to hear from McCarthy about what happened during that scenario.
He said after the game that the play was called by NY. Which I find ridiculous.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
he absolutely did, micah was held blatantly multiple times, bs roughing the passer, handful of pi’s not called for our guys. but oh well, had every opportunity
I hate that.. oh we had every opportunity BS. Those calls decided the game, period.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Id love to hear from Mike about it as well. Gene Steretor seemed to think it was a catch and a fumble as well. I mean, it was a close call either way, but I would like to hear an explanation from Mike.

Ken

Reaction score
Okay, not sure what the yardage has to do with it but he had control, and had 2 feet down without question. The football move is all you're looking for after that. There was no tuck, and he was already headed upfield, so what you look for is a 3rd step which he almost gets down but clearly doesn't before the ball is out. So when none of those football moves listed happen on the play, you have to rule that a catch didn't happen.
The yardage shows that he was running with the football.

To take the ball from behind your body to the front, then lean with the ball in front of you for 2.5 yards, that is a football move and clear possesion. I don't care about a tuck, not everyone tucks the football. He could have run for a td with the ball out in front of him the way he had it for all we know.

Bad call and it came from NY. Just egregious.

Proof

Reaction score
I hate that.. oh we had every opportunity BS. Those calls decided the game, period.

i hate that it comes to that, but if you have the ball with a chance to win multiple times pointing at the refs just isn’t something to do

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He said after the game that the play was called by NY. Which I find ridiculous.

Would love to find that quote from Mike. You have a link?

And it's not ridiculous, it's in the rules. I posted them. If that's the case then they saved the Cowboys a timeout.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Id love to hear from Mike about it as well. Gene Steretor seemed to think it was a catch and a fumble as well. I mean, it was a close call either way, but I would like to hear an explanation from Mike.

Steratore was kinda non-commital on the broadcast. He said he thinks the football comes out just as a football move "starts." The rule only mentions football moves completed. If something happens in the middle and isn't completed then it didn't happen. Same for the 3rd step. Waller's foot is coming down for a 3rd step but the ball comes out just before it plants. He started it but didn't complete it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The yardage shows that he was running with the football.

To take the ball from behind your body to the front, then lean with the ball in front of you for 2.5 yards, that is a football move and clear possesion. I don't care about a tuck, not everyone tucks the football. He could have run for a td with the ball out in front of him the way he had it for all we know.

Bad call and it came from NY. Just egregious.

But per the rules I posted, you can't perform a football move until AFTER control and 2 feet happen. Neither of those were in doubt. But Waller turns AS he takes the 2 steps. He can't turn after he's already turned. That's why it goes to the other listed football move of a 3rd step because that one is for players who are already running with the ball. Of course here it never happened before the ball came out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There were many, many, many bad calls but the Waller fumble that was called an incomplete pass was as bad as the Dez catch/no catch. Waller had the ball and was heading up the field when Jayron Kearse knocked that ball out of his hand.
yup that 3rd step was bang bang but should have been reviewed and that big play and get the ball back could have changed that game in the first half.

refs sucked all night no surprise..