Darren Woodson is a semi-finalist for the HOF

Praxit

Reaction score
...him being not in HOF, is similar Jethro Tull not being in the Rock N Roll shrine.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's hope this is the year D. Woodson can get into the HOF. He is definitely deserving of that honor. Good Luck to Darren!! Fingers crossed!! :thumbup:

If there is a book on How to be a Professional, his picture should be on the cover.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys....just wanted to let you know I messaged one of the mods to change the title of the thread to "semifinalist". Hopefully they will change it soon so no one thinks I'm an idiot!! Or maybe it's too late for that!! LOL :p
Hey, if he becomes a finalist, you can say you had it first. That puts you at the top of my list for draft predictions.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Met him in a Tom Thumb about 7 years ago when he was there with his daughter. I recognized him immediately and told him he deserved to be in the HOF and he was very gracious. Very nice gentleman.

So good was he as a mental leader in that secondary that when he retired, we lost both Safeties. Roy OU Williams had been dependent on Woody and he was lost when he retired.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Guys....just wanted to let you know I messaged one of the mods to change the title of the thread to "semifinalist". Hopefully they will change it soon so no one thinks I'm an idiot!! Or maybe it's too late for that!! LOL :p
No worries mistakes happen to all of us.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Woodson was fantastic and still looks like he could play. Very good guy. The real sad thing is if he were to play in this current bubble-wrap era, he would be fined and suspended nonstop.

perrykemp

Reaction score
It feels like every year Leroy Butler (also a finalist this year) and Darren Woodson cancel each other out for HOF votes for 'best safeties of the 90s'.

Hopefully this year they clear that log-jam and Woody makes it.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Eh. I don't get it.

I liked Woody. He was an above average player for sure.

But was he an absolutely elite HOF type player? I don't think so.
It doesn't really matter though. The HOF has been getting watered down for years with players that weren't truly elite. We might as well throw another one in there as well.

Tussinman

Reaction score
What could possibly be keeping them from giving him the nod?
Because he played for the Dallas Cowboys?? Just throwing that out there as many people feel there is an "east coast" bias to the HOF.
The main reason why is the position he plays.

Secondary and interior offensive line are the hardest of the main positions to get in. You almost always need crazy stats like 8+ pro bowls or 1st team all-decade in order to be a lock.

Even then you got guys like John Lynch whose 9X pro bowler and in 2 different teams ring of honor and he can't even get in.........

Home glasses aside this isn't an anti Dallas issue. Secondary guys like Woodson, Sharper, LeRoy Butler, Carnell Lake, Eric Weddle have those great resumes but none of them really stand out

Majic

Reaction score
My favourite all time Cowboy. A gentleman off the field and true professional on the field. Real shame he only played for Bill Parcells for one season.

Cowboys have not had anyone like him since he retired. Could play at LB, SS and FS. A Hall of Fame player in my opinion.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Eh. I don't get it.

I liked Woody. He was an above average player for sure.

But was he an absolutely elite HOF type player? I don't think so.
It doesn't really matter though. The HOF has been getting watered down for years with players that weren't truly elite. We might as well throw another one in there as well.
Cowboy homers are going to get mad but it's true. Woodson is a dime a dozen. There's 7 semi-finalist just in secondary alone that are either on par or better resume wise. There's also another 3 or 4 that are going to be elgible in the next couple of years

It's just a case of it's a log jammed position and he doesn't really stand out from the pack. You gotta hve Ed Reed, Troy, and Champ Bailey type resumes if you want to jump the log jam

Majic

Reaction score
Cowboy homers are going to get mad but it's true. Woodson is a dime a dozen. There's 7 semi-finalist just in secondary alone that are either on par or better resume wise. There's also another 3 or 4 that are going to be elgible in the next couple of years

It's just a case of it's a log jammed position and he doesn't really stand out from the pack. You gotta hve Ed Reed, Troy, and Champ Bailey type resumes if you want to jump the log jam

3 Superbowl wins
5 pro bowls
23 interceptions
813 tackles (team record)

Tussinman

Reaction score
3 Superbowl wins
5 pro bowls
23 interceptions
813 tackles (team record)
Exactly my point. Great resume but it doesn't stand out, especially at his position which is 1. lower valued and 2. log jammed. Butler who I think is lowest on the pecking order still has the same amount of first team all-pros, actually made the all-decade team, and has 70% more interceptions.

All these secondary players either have resumes that are within 10% of each other or are so far ahead of the pack aka Champ Bailey

quickccc

Reaction score
The main reason why is the position he plays.

Secondary and interior offensive line are the hardest of the main positions to get in. You almost always need crazy stats like 8+ pro bowls or 1st team all-decade in order to be a lock.

Even then you got guys like John Lynch whose 9X pro bowler and in 2 different teams ring of honor and he can't even get in.........

Home glasses aside this isn't an anti Dallas issue. Secondary guys like Woodson, Sharper, LeRoy Butler, Carnell Lake, Eric Weddle have those great resumes but none of them really stand out

I'm mixed on John Lynch, he made INTs, he was a Jacked Up hitter too. But he had to be in that protective Cover 2 scheme that had him playing exclusively zone than man.
When you think about Reed, Lott, Woodson, Troy P. they could cover by man while also patrolling the deep half of the field too.
Lynch was a lot more limited and vulnerable in coverage than the greater HOF safeties too. He could not single match up vs athletic pass catching TEs.
While Woodson could match up with the better slot WRs, vs best pass catching TEs,...

And what's really the measuring stick for safeties ? Turnovers, INTs, memorable big hits ? …

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Let's hope this is the year D. Woodson can get into the HOF. He is definitely deserving of that honor. Good Luck to Darren!! Fingers crossed!! :thumbup:
NFL Hall of Fame is B.S. Cornell Green deserves the Ring of Honor and HOF (better career than Woody), and Drew Pearson should in the HOF when Swann and Stallworth went in the HOF. Charles Haley had to wait....B.S. HOF.

Majic

Reaction score
Exactly my point. Great resume but it doesn't stand out, especially at his position which is 1. lower valued and 2. log jammed. Butler who I think is lowest on the pecking order still has the same amount of first team all-pros, actually made the all-decade team, and has 70% more interceptions.

All these secondary players either have resumes that are within 10% of each other or are so far ahead of the pack aka Champ Bailey

But the players you mentioned could not play in 3 different positions nor have won 3 Superbowls. If you are telling the story of the NFL he has to be in. He's above John Lynch