News: Darren Woodson likens potential Earl Thomas acquisition to Charles Haley

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Crapport on nfl network just said we’re by no means out on earl. I understand Woodson with his comparison. But if earl comes does he put us over the top? Not sure

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
Agreed. He's an impact player. The problem is, I'm not sure how our DL will look. We could be adding an impact player and losing several at another position. Hopefully Tank is still here and Gregory can be here by September.
Well if Tank drops out, go out and get someone else, Jerry has the money...Gregory is a head case, I wouldn't even count on him..

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ET can change the secondary and his play is infectious
That said you are right, ET helps the secondary but we need major help on the Dline. If we get tank done we still need much there. If we don’t get tank done you likely end up with a weaker Dline than last year

It's the weakest area of the defense and that can't be true of a very good defense. They need multiple upgrades.

conner01

Reaction score
It's the weakest area of the defense and that can't be true of a very good defense. They need multiple upgrades.
I’d love to keep Dlaw, add M Jackson, And ET
With a good draft that can take this team to the next level

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, and Woody has valuable insight.

ET might not be the missing link, but he would be a major piece of the puzzle.

I would agree in a BIG way if it was 3-5 years ago. I just dont think he's capable of staying healthy the whole season. Love to be wrong.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Thomas brings swag...a nastiness. He is also high football IQ and knows how to get the ball.

HungryLion

Reaction score

That’s true.

With that being said. If the cowboys get Earl Thomas in FA. They can focus draft resources to the DL. This draft class is deep with DE’s and DT’s. Should be some really good prospects available when the cowboys second round pick comes up.

Would be nice if the FO fills up the teams holes in FA and lets them draft some young studs to continue developing the DL.

That would be ideal IMO.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Along with the Dline, It's the weakest area of the defense and that can't be true of a very good defense. They need multiple upgrades.

fixed it for you...Dline is just about as weak as the Safeties on this team. All starts up front. We are solid at LB and that's it IMO. Lots of work to do on D, both in free agency and the draft. Need 2 D.Ends, probably 2 DB's. Won't be easy.

erod

Reaction score
I agree if ET could stay healthy and he hasn't proven he can. I love the guy when he is healthy but come on! and who is to say he will be the same player after that last injury?
Why do so many people think a broken fibula is going to affect his abilities?

It's a broken bone. It heals. It's nothing.

erod

Reaction score
Not even close. Not only was Haley a more impactful player but that defense was literally only missing that kind of player. It was complete with his acquisition. This defense even with Earl Thomas still has major issues along the defensive line. Complete they are not.
Not complete, but with a true leader with "Sean Lee-like" knowledge of secondary play, he makes everybody in the secondary better.

Multi layers of improvement.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

And the fibula is not even a weight-bearing bone.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Woodson's going to talk us into financial trouble and dashed hopes - AGAIN!

tyke1doe

Reaction score

But the older you get, the easier and more repeated the breaks.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Darren Woodson likens potential Earl Thomas acquisition to Charles Haley
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...oodson-jerry-jones-earl-thomas-charles-haley/

I get the feeling Woody liked him. That is some serious praise.

...The Ring of Honor legend and current ESPN analyst spoke with Jean-Jacques Taylor and Matt McClearin on JaM Session on ESPN Dallas 103.3 [KESN-FM] recently, and raised a few eyebrows with rather pointed comments about his former employers, specifically letting them know they should be looking at acquiring outside talent to augment the in-house young stars they have on hand. When things got specific, he didn’t hold back from saying acquiring a player like safety Earl Thomas could be exactly what is needed, just like what owner Jerry Jones did during Woodson’s early years.

“My first year, Charles Haley was brought in on the football team,” Woodson said. “And there was a certain reason why he was brought on the team, and it was more so trying to get this defense to try and have a winning mindset and have this defense have a swagger about them.

“And I think it’s the sort of the same thing with Earl Thomas,” Woodson added.

“This is a young secondary. I mean extremely young, especially in the cornerback position. You bring in a guy like Earl Thomas; he’s going to lift the entire secondary. Not only the secondary, but the linebackers as well because of the knowledge of the game: he’s a coach that’s going to be on the field, basically, an extension of the coaching staff. He’s familiar with [defensive backs coach Kris] Richard. They know each other extremely well, and he knows this defense like the back of his hand. And there is not a guy in this league that you’re going to outwork. You will not outwork Earl Thomas as far as preparation and getting ready for games. He’s just that type of football player. And I think he would help this team tremendously as far as… taking the ball away. That will increase, and that is a big problem this secondary had had over the years. They haven’t taken the ball away, and that absolutely changes with Earl Thomas.”...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Guys get hurt all the time regardless of age. Thomas isn't particularly prone to injury.
Yes, they do. But the older you get, the more likely you will sustain repeated injuries. Maybe Thomas is an anomaly. But I would be more worried about an injury like his at 30 than I would at 24.
Just saying.

Rayman70

Reaction score
what Darren said means absolutely nothing if Booger sits on his hands and does nothing.

erod

Reaction score
Yes, they do. But the older you get, the more likely you will sustain repeated injuries. Maybe Thomas is an anomaly. But I would be more worried about an injury like his at 30 than I would at 24.
Just saying.
Ed Reed played WELL into his 30s. So did Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, and several other safeties.

Thomas' age doesn't scare me at all. He gets hurt less often than Heath, Woods, and Frazier.