David Irving in trouble for drug-test failure

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Put Irving in 24 hours watch , get him to a recovery clinic while you send an assisant coach to work with him in his spare time .

Its either that , or try to trade him .

cristglo

Reaction score
He's salvageable, though.

First, he needs to get better.

Dallas, as a team, knows these issues well. They have the staff to help him get on path; they did it with Dez.

It's not an uncommon story of NFL players to bounce back from addictions.. Irvin did it.
You have to first admit there is a problem Then you have to want to get help. Neither has he done yet. :(

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Isn't he still on the roster? If he missed multiple drug tests, wouldn't they count as failures? So, why isn't he suspended? Is he appealing the suspension? The NFL can't keep any secrets about suspensions and failed tests. Why waste a roster spot on a player who cannot play this year?

None of this makes any sense to me. Then again, nothing ever made any sense when it comes to Irving.

yup...something is very fishy about all this. Honestly....there is a cover up of some kind..either by the Cowboys (trying to keep him eligable to play)...or the league did it because they don't want to hurt the Cowboys ratings for TV this year.

In any case...something isn't right :rolleyes:

If he has missed a test...it is an automatic failure. Should have been suspended immediately. Question is why did it take so long? NFL dropping the ball for sure...one way of another.

Just another instance the league makes up it's own rules as it sees fit.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Hard to have respect for a nutcase who refuses to do anything miniscule as simply showing up to your therapy sessions or taking your required drug tests. Cut this mental midget now! He doesn't deserve to be on this roster while everyone else is doing their part and showing up while dealing with their own personal problems at home.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
First sack he makes next season and everyone here talking **** about him will be "happy he turned his life around" blah blah blah. He hasn't killed anyone, hasn't hurt anyone as far as I've seen. He's in a bad place with his REAL life and we literally know nothing about his situation. Yea, he's annoyed me too but man this fan base is something. I guarantee one year ago today most of you hating on Irving probably wanted Gregory cut and now he's a huge reason this defense is on the verge of greatness. If Irving gets his life figured out and shows up to camp next season ready to go, then I sure as hell am okay with it. Man, it's amazing how ****** people are to other people.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was not a test failure, just not showing to the testing. Either way, he needs to get things taken care of. I actually feel bad for him and hope he gets things right.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Complete stud of a player but I think skipping these tests is a signal that his career is over.

Sad because he had so much talent.

cristglo

Reaction score
I personally think the NFL will have to change their stance on Pot being that so many states will be legalizing it. IMO Its better then alcohol but alcohol is legal and In some states pot isnt. You can come on the field an play drunk but it doesnt stay in your system like pot does. Smoking pot doesnt give you a competitive edge like PED. The bottom line is when you work you cannot have pot in your system or you get fired. None of us cant do it. So we either follow the rules or we are unemployed.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score

from the link:

FRISCO - Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle David Irving has missed "multiple'' mandatory drug tests in the last two months, sources tell me, putting in jeopardy not only any chance he has of participating with this team during the NFL Playoffs but also his chance of playing in the league anytime soon.

Irving's off-field life continues to be plagued by legal turmoil largely related to conflict with his ex-girlfriend, with whom he shares a young daughter. And his on-field efforts have been marred in part by a high ankle sprain he sustained in practice on Nov. 2. But since incurring that injury, Irving has rarely shown up for work here inside The Star -- not only missing participation in practices, but also declining to attend practice as an observer, declining to attend meetings or watch film, and declining to accept rehab help with the ankle and encouragement to stay active in the weight room.

"He's just sort of checked out,'' one person close to the situation tells me.

If he fails a drug test he is suspended and no $$$$ income.
Not going leaves the excuses open and the money still coming.

Reaction score
I really feel for Irving, because loving a partner and having a kid with them and then that relationship being a source of turmoil could turn anybody's world upside down. Sure, I wish he was dominating O-Lines for the football team I like, but it's not as simple as a lot of people make it out to be.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
First sack he makes next season and everyone here talking **** about him will be "happy he turned his life around" blah blah blah. He hasn't killed anyone, hasn't hurt anyone as far as I've seen. He's in a bad place with his REAL life and we literally know nothing about his situation. Yea, he's annoyed me too but man this fan base is something. I guarantee one year ago today most of you hating on Irving probably wanted Gregory cut and now he's a huge reason this defense is on the verge of greatness. If Irving gets his life figured out and shows up to camp next season ready to go, then I sure as hell am okay with it. Man, it's amazing how ****** people are to other people.
Gregory never went to this extreme of simply quitting on the team.

Pants

Reaction score
Is there a "Clown" zone in here for anything related to him?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I personally think the NFL will have to change their stance on Pot being that so many states will be legalizing it. IMO Its better then alcohol but alcohol is legal and In some states pot isnt. You can come on the field an play drunk but it doesnt stay in your system like pot does. Smoking pot doesnt give you a competitive edge like PED. The bottom line is when you work you cannot have pot in your system or you get fired. None of us cant do it. So we either follow the rules or we are unemployed.
No, the league doesn't nor should it change their stance on pot simply because some states have. A recent study shows crime and accidents have risen dramatically in those 4 states where pot is now legalized.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Understand what you're saying - Football is indeed entertainment but, in Irving's case, it is a means to an end, a method for funding his needs and desires. It is a very solid foundation from which to resolve the "real life problems."

He, like many of these guys, never quite figured that out.

Yeah, but if you're bipolar or suffer from other mental illness issues you many times don't see things the way people without those problems do. As someone who had a family member who suffered from mental illness, i wish he had an employer who cared as much as JJ does for his players.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I knew he liked doing drugs,so that’s a given,but there must be some reasoning for why Dallas has carried him this whole time. That’s what I want to know after the season.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
David Irving looks up to Jason Garret , he won't quit on Jason Garrett .

What happened here ?