David Irving says goodbye for good to NFL **merged**

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have seen people use alcohol as a pain killer. Physical and mental. Stay off the roads and it’s legal to do. Don’t know if any job that it’s acceptable. Same with weed.

Hell, I drank a lot of beer when I was younger. I played a lot of sports, a lot of wear and tear on my body and I definitely used beer to facilitate pain, that's no lie. But I didn't go to work drunk and I didn't drink on the job and the decision to use beer to self medicate was stupid. There is no other way to say it. You know what happened to me? My Mom invited me over for supper and she basically told me that I needed to grow up, stop drinking so much and get my **** together. I was grown man, paying my own way, not dependent on anything or anybody. She lined me out and thankfully, I listened. I still drink too much beer on occasion but I don't do it like I used to and I will tell you, this whole conversation about using weed as medication is very familiar to me. People think that they are unique in this but they are not. This has been going on since before any of us were born and it will likely continue long after we are gone. This is just the latest excuse for Peter Pan Syndrome. You don't need to smoke weed to get the medicinal values of Cannabis. You can actually get it prescribed for you by a Dr. and surprise, surprise, a team Dr. can do that for you. There is literally no reason at all to smoke blunts if you are a player. Seriously, none.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So you can drink Wild Turkey at 101 proof all day and still have the same functionality?

I doubt that.

No, for one I would never drink Wild Turkey but whatever. I specifically said that I can drink beer and that Liquor is a different thing but lets go ahead and go down this road. Are you saying that you can smoke Weed all day, especially the type that you know a lot of players are smoking, and be perfectly functional?

I am certain that that's not true so while you are in a doubtful frame of mind, please shed serious doubt on your last post. There is no way that you can mean this as serious discussion TD3.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Hell, I drank a lot of beer when I was younger. I played a lot of sports, a lot of wear and tear on my body and I definitely used beer to facilitate pain, that's no lie. But I didn't go to work drunk and I didn't drink on the job and the decision to use beer to self medicate was stupid. There is no other way to say it. You know what happened to me? My Mom invited me over for supper and she basically told me that I needed to grow up, stop drinking so much and get my **** together. I was grown man, paying my own way, not dependent on anything or anybody. She lined me out and thankfully, I listened. I still drink too much beer on occasion but I don't do it like I used to and I will tell you, this whole conversation about using weed as medication is very familiar to me. People think that they are unique in this but they are not. This has been going on since before any of us were born and it will likely continue long after we are gone. This is just the latest excuse for Peter Pan Syndrome. You don't need to smoke weed to get the medicinal values of Cannabis. You can actually get it prescribed for you by a Dr. and surprise, surprise, a team Dr. can do that for you. There is literally no reason at all to smoke blunts if you are a player. Seriously, none.
I did the same. Switched to vodka because the beer was bloating me. Lol. Quit drinking during the work week and indulge on the weekends. I am still working on control at times.

I powerlifted for 20 years. After 20 years my body hurt all over, after transitioning to just conditioning the injuries started. In the last 10 years I have torn both tricep tendons. Torn rotator cuff and several herniated and bulging discs up and down my back and neck. Nobody made me do it and would likely do it all over again. Tried multiple things for pain management. Including weed. It didn’t help me. Made me high and I ate a bag of Doritos and a couple candy bars. CBD didn’t do much. For me it’s just pain management as needed. If the pain relievers are taken as they are prescribed then it’s surprising how you don’t get addicted. If you don’t hurt that bad then DONT TAKE IT. It’s not to be used for a euphoric feeling. Same should be said for weed but some use pot to simply get high and I am leaning towards that with Irving.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No, for one I would never drink Wild Turkey but whatever. I specifically said that I can drink beer and that Liquor is a different thing but lets go ahead and go down this road. Are you saying that you can smoke Weed all day, especially the type that you know a lot of players are smoking, and be perfectly functional?

I am certain that that's not true so while you are in a doubtful frame of mind, please shed serious doubt on your last post. There is no way that you can mean this as serious discussion TD3.
The weed they get now a days is seriously potent. I am sure since the players have money then they are privy to real strong stuff.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You think we're convinced now to stop taking chances on rehab projects such as Rolando McClain, Randy Gregory and David Irving?
The sad thing about it is if these guys were able to concur their demons, this defense would have been ultra lit. Sigh.
Cue "The Way We Were" music.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Irving is going about this entirely the wrong way, but I fully respect his right to campaign for the removal of marijuana from the league's banned substances list. This is very likely the death of his career.

Hopefully he's been smart with whatever money he has made in the NFL, but I doubt it's enough to live on for a long time, and I doubt he has invested it wisely.

There is literally no chance of that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I did the same. Switched to vodka because the beer was bloating me. Lol. Quit drinking during the work week and indulge on the weekends. I am still working on control at times.

I powerlifted for 20 years. After 20 years my body hurt all over, after transitioning to just conditioning the injuries started. In the last 10 years I have torn both tricep tendons. Torn rotator cuff and several herniated and bulging discs up and down my back and neck. Nobody made me do it and would likely do it all over again. Tried multiple things for pain management. Including weed. It didn’t help me. Made me high and I ate a bag of Doritos and a couple candy bars. CBD didn’t do much. For me it’s just pain management as needed. If the pain relievers are taken as they are prescribed then it’s surprising how you don’t get addicted. If you don’t hurt that bad then DONT TAKE IT. It’s not to be used for a euphoric feeling. Same should be said for weed but some use pot to simply get high and I am leaning towards that with Irving.

Understand, knees, back, neck and shoulder, left ankle, all broken or injured in some form or fashion, to say nothing of fingers etc. I completely understand. I used to take Tylenol 3 like candy but I eventually managed to get away from all of that. I went from about 245-250 to about 205 and it helped a lot. I've been at that weight for about 5 years now and not all of it was just fat. I mean, some of it was, probably 25 extra pounds or so but a lot of it was simply less muscle mass. I just needed to physically get smaller and have less weight on my back and knees. Eventually, it will get me but I'm not going down quiet.

;)

glimmerman

Reaction score
Understand, knees, back, neck and shoulder, left ankle, all broken or injured in some form or fashion, to say nothing of fingers etc. I completely understand. I used to take Tylenol 3 like candy but I eventually managed to get away from all of that. I went from about 245-250 to about 205 and it helped a lot. I've been at that weight for about 5 years now and not all of it was just fat. I mean, some of it was, probably 25 extra pounds or so but a lot of it was simply less muscle mass. I just needed to physically get smaller and have less weight on my back and knees. Eventually, it will get me but I'm not going down quiet.

;)
Basically done the same thing. Dropped from 275 down to 240, down to 200-205. Feel better but a lot of muscle mass and strength loss. Don’t matter at close to 50. If I look at heavy weight anymore then I break something.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Basically done the same thing. Dropped from 275 down to 240, down to 200-205. Feel better but a lot of muscle mass and strength loss. Don’t matter at close to 50. If I look at heavy weight anymore then I break something.

LOL..... sucks to get old, I know. I got a few years on you but I get it completely. I guess I just have a hard time getting behind anybody who says they "need" something in order to get by. I mean, I'm not saying I have it/had it as bad as some of these guys who played in the NFL for 15 or so but there were certainly days where I physically could not get out of bed or out of a chair or what ever. Back just wouldn't do it. Between the time I had my come to Jesus with my Mom and cut out the drinking and the time I cut weight, I had to figure out how to deal with pain that was constant. You just gotta do it. I don't know, everybody is different I suppose.

glimmerman

Reaction score
LOL..... sucks to get old, I know. I got a few years on you but I get it completely. I guess I just have a hard time getting behind anybody who says they "need" something in order to get by. I mean, I'm not saying I have it/had it as bad as some of these guys who played in the NFL for 15 or so but there were certainly days where I physically could not get out of bed or out of a chair or what ever. Back just wouldn't do it. Between the time I had my come to Jesus with my Mom and cut out the drinking and the time I cut weight, I had to figure out how to deal with pain that was constant. You just gotta do it. I don't know, everybody is different I suppose.[/QUOTE

Your right. Everyone deals with it there own way. I don’t think Irving is actually using weed to kill his pain. I think he wants to smoke weed. He is 3 years vested in the NFL and can retire and collect a check. Lol.

ksadler1

Reaction score

You are absolutely correct. I have friends that take the CBD oil orally, and use the rub on CBD ointments, and swear by them. And they don't get you addicted or high. So what does that say about Irving? He has alternatives but he likes getting high. But he apparently has more issues than just wanting to get high all the time...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. I have friends that take the CBD oil orally, and use the rub on CBD ointments, and swear by them. And they don't get you addicted or high. So what does that say about Irving? He has alternatives but he likes getting high. But he apparently has more issues than just wanting to get high all the time...

I would have to agree. Damn shame too, we really could have used him this year. Hell, last year, he might have been the difference between moving on and going home.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You are joking about not being impaired by weed.... that is simply a lie
There are strands available now that have miniscule amounts of THC. They were developed to encourage the more medicinal properties to take center stage. So it is entirely possible to smoke a somewhat massive amount without being impaired in any way.