David Lee Roth: ‘I’m throwing in the shoes. I’m retiring’

triplets_93

Reaction score
Dave, I wish you a Happy and Peaceful Retirement.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...im-throwing-in-the-shoes-im-retiring-2451302/

“I’ve got a band that is doing what Al and I used to call a ‘block,’ that means 75 rehearsals for one show,” Roth said. “We are bringing it in classic VH style. Alex and I are the only version, that was his message. There is no other variation. There is no torch being passed. There is no other side to this coin. This is classic, in-your-face Van Halen.”

“I’ve given you all I’ve got to give. It’s been an amazing, great run, no regrets, nothing to say about anybody. I’ll miss you all. Stay frosty.”

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Good for him, a lot of people don't know it but VH slaved away playing backyard parties, beer bars etc for several years before they released their first album, plus on those first few tours 78-81 no one worked harder. The amount of roadwork they put in was insane, cant imagine the wear and tear it puts on the body. Enjoy your retirement Dave and thanks for the memories.

Hardline

Reaction score
Good for him, a lot of people don't know it but VH slaved away playing backyard parties, beer bars etc for several years before they released their first album, plus on those first few tours 78-81 no one worked harder. The amount of roadwork they put in was insane, cant imagine the wear and tear it puts on the body. Enjoy your retirement Dave and thanks for the memories.
A lot of people also don't know that Gene Simmons of KISS tried to get them their first record deal but failed. Which was strange. KISS was at the peak of their popularity at that time.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
A lot of people also don't know that Gene Simmons of KISS tried to get them their first record deal but failed. Which was strange. KISS was at the peak of their popularity at that time.

Yes, and Bill Aucoin{Kiss Manager}liked the band and but didn't really care for Roth so nothing really came of the meeting. I got a copy of the demo Gene helped them make "zero demo" has some pretty good stuff some of which i actually prefer to the latter versions on the albums.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Van Halen's first record contract. KISS at their peak. It's funny how those two timelines don't match. Maybe someone got something wrong in their story. Just saying. ;)

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Van Halen's first record contract. KISS at their peak. It's funny how those two timelines don't match. Maybe someone got something wrong in their story. Just saying. ;)

Like i posted, VH flew to NYC and KISS management Bill Aucoin loved the band but didn't care for Dave whatsoever. Basically told them there is nothing i can do. Gene however did helped them make the zero demos from 76. Other than that VH went back to playing bars/clubs in the LA area and were eventually discovered{again?} by Ted Templeman and the rest is history.

Hardline

Reaction score
KISS was at their peak in the late 70s.
That's when Gene Simmons tried to get Van Halen signed to a record contract.
Timeline matches perfectly.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
It was shocking that they ever thought he'd be a good fit.

Well lets just say while Edward and Alex were stellar musicians they were lacking when it came to running a band. Before they settled on Sam the clown Edward wanted Patty Smyth to front the band. She is the gal from Scandal who had a solo hit with the Warrior. That would have been horrible.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
KISS was at their peak in the late 70s.
That's when Gene Simmons tried to get Van Halen signed to a record contract.
Timeline matches perfectly.
:facepalm: I'm just busting your balls. Why get so uptight about something that is a well-established fact? It's not that you're not right but everyone knows this story.

Hardline

Reaction score
:facepalm: I'm just busting your balls. Why get so uptight about something that is a well-established fact? It's not that you're not right but everyone knows this story.
I guess I misunderstood.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well lets just say while Edward and Alex were stellar musicians they were lacking when it came to running a band. Before they settled on Sam the clown Edward wanted Patty Smyth to front the band. She is the gal from Scandal who had a solo hit with the Warrior. That would have been horrible.
You didn't like Sammy? The band had more personality with Dave, and the songs were more varied, but Sammy's vocals were much better, IMO. Eddie's solos seemed to be less prevalent with Sammy as well, which is why I prefer the original lineup, but Van Hagar had some great songs as well - Black and Blue being my favorite.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
You didn't like Sammy? The band had more personality with Dave, and the songs were more varied, but Sammy's vocals were much better, IMO. Eddie's solos seemed to be less prevalent with Sammy as well, which is why I prefer the original lineup, but Van Hagar had some great songs as well - Black and Blue being my favorite.

Nah, with Roth in the band they were Las Vegas, when Sam joined they turned into Branson Mo.:laugh: If i listened to VH post Dave it was to hear Edward play. You are right though, if a vocal trainer chimed they would probably agree from a technical standpoint Sam had the better voice. When Dave split he pretty much took everything interesting with him{asides from Eds playing}. Saw Dave's Eat em and Smile tour as well as VH 5150 tour and Dave had the better show easily.