David Montgomery in Round 3

J12B

Reaction score
We need to solidify the #2 RB position with how much this team runs the ball.

David Montgomery, RB out of Iowa State, would be a great #2 back behind Zeke and a possible replacement if Zeke is unable to be resigned.

If we can somehow get him in the 4th, it would be an absolute steal.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan of using what will be an important pick for us (given we have no #1 pick) on a TB that will play like 15% of the time, if that.

Vet route or use a later round pick on a TB. I'd much rather have a guy like Dexter Williams from ND over Montgomery if I could get Williams in the 4th or 5th round.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd be all for it. I'm a big Montgomery fan, I think he's a top 50 kind of player, and he'd easily be BPA if he's there at the end of the third.

BPA loses it's appeal when the BPA would be a guy who might get 5 touches a game.

Unless you plan on limiting the touches your #4 overall pick gets. Then at that point, you aren't likely getting the value out of Elliott.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I like the player.
but not in the 2nd...or 3rd.
If its me...Im usin' one of the 4ths or the 5th on a RB.
in the 2nd Im lookin at a TE or WR on offense...DE,DT or S on defense.

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score
We need to solidify the #2 RB position with how much this team runs the ball.

David Montgomery, RB out of Iowa State, would be a great #2 back behind Zeke and a possible replacement if Zeke is unable to be resigned.

If we can somehow get him in the 4th, it would be an absolute steal.
Sign Raheem Mostert. Or trade for Duke Johnson

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'd rather go the vet route. This team has too many holes to fill to draft a guy who is going to get 4 touches a game.
There is not much at the position in free agency though.

That said, there are a bunch of backs that can be had in the later rounds.

But no question, we need to get better than Rod Smith.

I like Montgomery, but players like Elijah Holyfield, Devine Ozigbo, James Williams and L.J. Scott are not bad either.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

That said, there are a bunch of backs that can be had in the later rounds.

But no question, we need to get better than Rod Smith.

I like Montgomery, but players like Elijah Holyfield, Devine Ozigbo, James Williams and L.J. Scott are not bad either.

You don't like Trayveon Williams? Or think he goes higher than we should take a RB?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Huh? There's a whole bunch of RBs, including guys who would compliment Zeke well. Bell, Ajayi and Ingram will all drive the market down, and then you've got Tevin Coleman, TJ Yeldon and Spencer Ware - who can catch the ball - available. Those guys would be upgrades to Smith and can be threats out of the backfield in the passing game.

I'm fine with one of the guys you mentioned late, but you can't depend on them.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
BPA loses it's appeal when the BPA would be a guy who might get 5 touches a game.

Unless you plan on limiting the touches your #4 overall pick gets. Then at that point, you aren't likely getting the value out of Elliott.

I think he's NFL starter material, so it's not out of the question that he could force more touches than that.

But looking more long term than that: if Montgomery pans out and turns out to be a stud, it gives us leverage to let Zeke walk at the end of his rookie deal if his asking price gets too high. The Steelers played out this scenario when they drafted James Conner at the end of the 3rd, even when they had Le'Veon Bell in front of him. Two years later, they're not regretting that investment.

I 100% get the playing time argument, but talent is talent, and if you can get starter material at the end of the 3rd you go for it.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I'd rather round 3, our 2nd pick, be used on a need.

We need all the interior DL help we can get, a WR, LG/RT (Collins was better, not great at Guard vs where he's at now). And we could use more comp at QB and Safety. Then sign whatever undrafted most accurate in the history of NCAA Kicker

75boyz

Reaction score
I think he's NFL starter material, so it's not out of the question that he could force more touches than that.

But looking more long term than that: if Montgomery pans out and turns out to be a stud, it gives us leverage to let Zeke walk at the end of his rookie deal if his asking price gets too high. The Steelers played out this scenario when they drafted James Conner at the end of the 3rd, even when they had Le'Veon Bell in front of him. Two years later, they're not regretting that investment.

I 100% get the playing time argument, but talent is talent, and if you can get starter material at the end of the 3rd you go for it.
Strong argument.