Recap: David Moore on organizational issues on defense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
David Moore w/ Norm Hitzges on The Ticket today -
  • There's a lack of defensive "expertise" in the front office and scouting department
  • Ownership/franchise culture is offensive-centric. (Cowboys have not resigned a 1st rd pick on defense since Demarcus Ware)
  • Scouts lean towards offensive players to satisfy the owner
  • The last two Cowboys head coaches were offensive-minded
  • This dynamic leads to a situation where the franchise leans on the defensive coordinator excessively regarding personnel decisions
  • They always view the next defensive coordinator as their "savior". Meanwhile, in Baltimore, a new DC is expected to contribute to established defensive culture.
  • When the DC is fired or goes elsewhere (Norm mentioned Quinn leaving for another HC job if he turns this thing around), the franchise has to start from scratch because there's no foundational defensive system in place here in Dallas
  • Mentioned how now they're throwing numbers at the problem in hopes that competition will fix the problem (no real plan)
This is not entirely true. I heard this today and David Moore was not stating anything as fact. It was just his opinion on what's going on.

Zman5

Reaction score
Having an offensive minded HC isn't the problem. Fat Andy had good defense for most of his time in Philly. He has good enough defense in KC.
Shanahan has a good defense and he's an offense guy.

The issue is the FO. They suck at drafting defensive players.

Kwyn

Reaction score
  • There's a lack of defensive "expertise" in the front office and scouting department
  • Ownership/franchise culture is offensive-centric. (Cowboys have not resigned a 1st rd pick on defense since Demarcus Ware)
  • This dynamic leads to a situation where the franchise leans on the defensive coordinator excessively regarding personnel decisions
  • They always view the next defensive coordinator as their "savior". Meanwhile, in Baltimore, a new DC is expected to contribute to established defensive culture.
  • When the DC is fired or goes elsewhere (Norm mentioned Quinn leaving for another HC job if he turns this thing around), the franchise has to start from scratch because there's no foundational defensive system in place here in Dallas
  • Mentioned how now they're throwing numbers at the problem in hopes that competition will fix the problem (no real plan)
It’s interesting how two people can hear the same exact segment and come away with different takes on what was said

Most of your comments are not actual quotes or even direct representation of what Moore said but rather your interpretation of what he said

His entire response, in my estimation, was a counter to Norm’s out of touch rant, which was a little bit embarrassing, and half of what Moore was saying was to offer possible explanations or theories on how he felt things had been run in the past and how how things may or may not be changing but in the end it was essentially just speculation and what seemed to be idle musings that weren’t reflective of his own actual opinions.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If a media guy thinks he knows about defensive foundations and what’s missing, then I don’t find it all all hard to believe that an offensive minded coach understands defense. Do you think n OC is just making game plans out of paper planes and throwing ideas at the wall, hoping plays work. I can assure you that great QBs and OCs and head coaches all understand defense very well and deeply.

CWR

Reaction score
This is not entirely true. I heard this today and David Moore was not stating anything as fact. It was just his opinion on what's going on.

The the entire thread should start off with

David Moores take (opinion)

Instead of being presented as fact.

I'll admit I'm certain there is some degree of truth, but there is some pure speculation as well. If the scouts lean offense for Jerry it sure seems they changed their tune this year.

CWR

Reaction score
We know Quinn told the scouts what he wanted and we know they went hunting. We don't know how those players compared to others though. We don't know if we reached for lower graded players on our board in order to fit the scheme.

I think its ironic that Jerry is chastised for going around his coaches and making decisions, but he is now being chastised for listening to his coaches as well.

I think its obvious we've done a better job scouting and selecting offense rather than defense. Although Marinelli hand picked a few failures there were many more times I recall him not wanting to stand on the table for his guy, and his lack of conviction lead towards us going offense. The Travis Fredrick trade down when Star Lotulelei was on the board is a prime example. (If I remember the player correctly)

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Well that's not true.

Cowboys re-signed (not resigned you people, it is a different word) Spencer and Clairborne. Spears also re-signed. During that time, we've drafted 7 D players and re-signed three of them.

Damn. Doesn't anyone on this board know a thing or do y'all just repeat stuff others say?

Robster8989

Reaction score
Yep.
The Cowboys are a reflection of their owner.
Jerry is flashy, he likes shiny things. The star QB, star running back, flashy wide out etc.
Offense is exciting, defense is not.
You could see it in his eyes last year at the draft when CeeDee fell to us. Jerry was tickled pink.
It was like he had a new thouroughbred in the barn.
I'm not trying to rip him. Jerry's a genius. A great business man and a great marketing mind. The organization wouldn't be what it is without him. But, he's a mediocre GM at best. He makes emotional decisons, like Zeke, Jaylon etc, and he micro manages.
And offense is the flashy side on the NFL, so Jerry focuses on it.
Defense is about will and culture, and neither has been instilled in this organization.
I like Quinn, and I'm hopeful. But he's the latest defensive "savior". Remember Ryan, Wade Phillips etc?
If he does turn it around, he'll be gone, and it will fall apart again, as the other poster mentioned the Baltimore situation, where defense is part of the organization. Here it is not.
One of the reasons I wanted Meyer last year. He had the clout to tell Jerry "No", so I was really hoping Jerry realized he needed that, and since he was getting older, it was time to groom his replacement for the organization. Stephen? Come on!
I was hoping Meyer would come in, install will, accountability, culture, . all new coaches etc.
Then he'd turn over HC to one of his guys and he'd graduate upstairs to run the organization (with Stephen as figurehead)
But alas, we hired yet another NFL retread yes man, who's first major decision was the brilliant hiring of Mike Nolan.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don’t know what we got at hc right now but I’d like to believe that Coach Garrett was out there teaching technique all the way down to the basics on the defensive side of the ball. So this talk about him being a offensive oriented coach is a giant crock. Because when I look back all I saw was a leader of men and the giant mistake it was to let him out the door.
:laugh::laugh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The the entire thread should start off with

David Moores take (opinion)

Instead of being presented as fact.

I'll admit I'm certain there is some degree of truth, but there is some pure speculation as well. If the scouts lean offense for Jerry it sure seems they changed their tune this year.
I agree it wouldn’t shock me if it’s true but the original poster is stating it like David Moore is dropping a exclusive and he’s not.