Recap: David Moore on organizational issues on defense

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
But wait, I thought the plan was to sign Dak to a GOAT contract (because that seemed to be EVERYONES main priority) and then everything else would fall into place.

Was i lied to?

Kwyn

Reaction score
We have no defensive identity. In fact we don't have an identity as a team. Our players have adopted the identity of the owner and GM. They play for themselves and care more about the sizzle than the substance, just like Daddy Jerry taught them.

This draft was the epitome of the franchise. A few good players in the midst of a random events that seem to have no plan or direction. I can't speak for everyone but I feel a lot of frustration and I think the frustration is this draft is a microcosm of the franchise. Just going through the motions and hoping we'll be successful and if not then at least we'll be talked about.
Hmm, I heard all four of the primaries on stage yesterday say that the plan was to create competition across the board on defense.

Jerry and Stephen went so far as to say they hoped that by creating competition they hoped that some rookies and one year free agents would literally push some veterans off the roster.

Then Quinn got his own press conference, solo, without McCarthy or Jerry there to speak for him or override what he said, where he got to lay out his plans.

Considering the fact that for years we’ve clowned the front office with the meme “we like our guys” as their “identity”, this would seek to be a pretty fundamental shift .

A team known for just paying huge extensions to their own veterans without those vets necessarily being in a position to demand said extension has now essentially put them all on notice.

I think there is now an attempt to create a new identity on the defensive side of the ball.

Big
Long
Athletic
Young
Hungry

We’ll have to see how it actually pans out once the roster is finalized and the season gets under weigh but honestly, I’m more hopeful about our defense than I have been for years simply because there seems to be an acknowledgement that it was broken and that something needed to change.

Quinn bringing not one, but two of his guys to the team was a message that “our guys” are no longer good enough.

The Jones regime doesn’t make a habit of admitting to mistakes but anyone who didn’t see Parsons and Cox as a gauntlet being thrown down at the feet of LVE and Jaylon is willfully choosing to ignore what happened this weekend.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Well if that is the case why not offer Sean Lee an intern coaching position.
Lee said it’s too soon. He specifically stated that he needs at least a year off to detach from they game because it’s going to be hard for him to give up being on the field.

I think he made it clear that he loves football so much that he plans on it continuing to be a part of his life (coaching) but that he needs to step away.

It was a really interesting commentary on the mental aspects of a player trying to let go of what has been their entire identity for decades and prepare themselves for the next stage of their lives.

I fully expect to see him rejoin the team in a year or so. He made it clear he still has a deep passion for the game.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Did David Moore just say our defense is bad?

This is shocking. Why hasn’t this been covered yet?

Turk

Reaction score
Lee said it’s too soon. He specifically stated that he needs at least a year off to detach from they game because it’s going to be hard for him to give up being on the field.

I think he made it clear that he loves football so much that he plans on it continuing to be a part of his life (coaching) but that he needs to step away.

It was a really interesting commentary on the mental aspects of a player trying to let go of what has been their entire identity for decades and prepare themselves for the next stage of their lives.

I fully expect to see him rejoin the team in a year or so. He made it clear he still has a deep passion for the game.
I remember Peyton Manning said the same thing pretty much when asked if he was going to become a coach. That he needed to basically get his head on differently then it had been for so long.
Turns out he, to the surprise of many, is not going to have a second career as a coach. Lee could end up the same. That year or so away could convince him he does not want to spend the incredible amount of time on the job that being a coach requires.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They draft defense like many wanted and we still get whining.
RELAX...this is from Moore...:laugh:

Moore has no idea if the scouts are for defense or offense...how about they are for the best players. He is throwing crap against the wall, and fans run with it, because it meets their agenda being against Jerry. Thinking they know what Jerry wants.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
David Moore w/ Norm Hitzges on The Ticket today -
  • Mentioned how now they're throwing numbers at the problem in hopes that competition will fix the problem (no real plan)

So true.

When i saw who we took in the 2-4th round it reminded me of the 2000 draft.
Maybe someone here remember. We needed CB and went on selecting 3: Dwayne Goodrich (2nd round), Kareem Lattimore (4th) and Mario Edwards (6th).

It was the same approach: No clue and no plan what to do so trying to fix that thing by drafting massively at one position hoping at least one will pan out.

Well, as we all remember, it was a desaster.

Id like to know what JJ said at the draft show about how good he felt about his picks. But i couldnt find it on the Inet. But i swear it must be just the same he said after this years draft.

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
It’s on Dallascowboys.com

that one, Quinn, Parsons, Cox, several more interviews

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent summary of a structural flaw the Jones cartel not only doesn’t recognize, it probably wouldn’t care if it did anyway.

One only has to look at this team’s defensive history since winning its last SB in 1995 to see this foundational flaw. Since we hoisted the Lombardi in SB XXX, this team has hired 8 defensive coordinators, including 4 DCs in 9 years: Dave Campo, Mike Zimmer, Brian Stewart, Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, Mike Nolan, and now Dan Quinn.

And this team has changed schemes far too often- From the 90s 4-3 to the 3-4 under Parcells and Phillips, then back to the 4-3, then the “hybrid” 4-3 (4-2-5?) under Nolan, and now back to the 4-3 under Quinn. This team changes defensive philosophies like underwear. It’s hard to build a defense when you don’t even know what kind of defense you are trying to be.

Goes back to the lack of organizational identity........... I know what a Patriot player looks like.....Steeler player....... Baltimore.......KC....... We know the traits those teams look for......no idea what a Dallas Cowboy looks like. It changes every year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Right.

They would spend years collecting specific players for a DC, only to change that.....then spend more time getting the new guy his players....and on and on.

That's why this obvious Quinn draft is even more of a problem if this doesn't turn around sooner than later.
or if he leaves soon for HC job then what? our players are his picks, and run his scheme , and then he is gone, throws a wrench in the wheel.
Thats why other teams have a set defense, the dc leaves, and those players they have gathered are still running the same system.

kskboys

Reaction score
Speaking of him, I'd certainly love to know what happened to.....player over scheme...from last years draft.

That certainly isn't the case any longer.

They are seriously all over the map with what they want to do.

No wonder everyone is confused, but philosophy by committee may do that.
Did you mean philosophy by cowhiskey?

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with all of this. For whatever reason the Cowboys front office is simply not good at drafting defense. This is a real problem because they won't use free agency to get proven players either.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
David Moore w/ Norm Hitzges on The Ticket today -
  • There's a lack of defensive "expertise" in the front office and scouting department
  • Ownership/franchise culture is offensive-centric. (Cowboys have not resigned a 1st rd pick on defense since Demarcus Ware)
  • Scouts lean towards offensive players to satisfy the owner
  • The last two Cowboys head coaches were offensive-minded
  • This dynamic leads to a situation where the franchise leans on the defensive coordinator excessively regarding personnel decisions
  • They always view the next defensive coordinator as their "savior". Meanwhile, in Baltimore, a new DC is expected to contribute to established defensive culture.
  • When the DC is fired or goes elsewhere (Norm mentioned Quinn leaving for another HC job if he turns this thing around), the franchise has to start from scratch because there's no foundational defensive system in place here in Dallas
  • Mentioned how now they're throwing numbers at the problem in hopes that competition will fix the problem (no real plan)

Wait, "last two" to me would be Phillips and Garrett. Am I supposed to believe Wade Phillips is an offensive-minded coach? That could be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Reactions: BAT

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with all of this. For whatever reason the Cowboys front office is simply not good at drafting defense. This is a real problem because they won't use free agency to get proven players either.
Reasons are actually obvious. They don't understand burst, lateral agility, motor, and/or instincts. That's why we draft so many box S's who can't cover. Since they don't comprehend football, they think physical skills can simply be taught.

Creeper

Reaction score
Reasons are actually obvious. They don't understand burst, lateral agility, motor, and/or instincts. That's why we draft so many box S's who can't cover. Since they don't comprehend football, they think physical skills can simply be taught.

I also think drafting players only to make them switch positions is a bad idea.