News: DC: 5 Second-Year Players To Watch For The Cowboys

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And now you know why we didn't need to do anything in free agency.

~standing ovation for front office~

Give the recent draftees a chance then you we can focus our CAP money on a few higher paid FA's (Day 1 of How to Build a Team).

All of the players named in this thread have potential for boom or bust, but with a roster that could do with an upgrade on: a CB, DT, LG, T, C, LB ,DE,. we need to give those players some faith and let them play.

We will be spending after the draft.... problem is I think the FO will block the youngsters so will focus on short term FA's.

Hardline

Reaction score
The dreaded Sophomore Slump.
I seriously doubt Parsons repeats his level he had his rookie year.
Hopefully we see Travon Diggs level of improvement from rookie to year 2.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Call me crazy (hey watch it!) but I think all 5 contribute this year. Solid draft picks who have been around a year now and understand how the pro game is played now. Just get them healthy and watch their production in preseason.

your crazy....you told me to say that. The question is are the contributing because they are so good or because we have no one else?

plasticman

Reaction score
A year from now Quinn will leave and Jerry will hire a DC with a completely different philosophy, thus rendering the 2021 draft worthless, pretty much the same thing he did with the 2005 defensive draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A year from now Quinn will leave and Jerry will hire a DC with a completely different philosophy, thus rendering the 2021 draft worthless, pretty much the same thing he did with the 2005 defensive draft.

I still say Parcells set this team and defense back 10 years when he went to the 3-4.
So he is an to blame as much as anyone.

They did not have the players to run a 3-4. As we know it takes years to build that through the draft. Though they did bring in some FA's at the time.
Then jerry hired Wade as HC because he ran a 3-4, was this really the right choice?
Then the Garrett debacle, when it turns out he was not the right choice.
Then the change back to the 4-3, again without the right personnel. Then all the lame DC's coming in.

So yeah, sounds about right, Quinn leaves, so an entire new defense. While Moore twiddles his thumbs on the offense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this WG, its nice to get back on track.
I agree with the list entirely but for even more intrigue I would also include ..
Osa
Nahshon Wright
Israel Mukuamu
This draft class really has a chance of being special IMHO.
I think Osa has more potential than all of them!!!!!!!!!!!! However, we desperately need one more stud on the DLine. Average players on the DLine is not what gets you to a super bowl. We have a good start there, just hope Jerry doesn't now switch to his usual sitting on his laurels and drafting flash.

kskboys

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see in Mukuamu can find a role in the defense. We didnt sign someone in Kazee's place, and Kearse could be playing more in Neals place, so there could be some snaps to be had for Mukuamu
He was a really nice prospect, but his future is strictly at S. Lacks the agility for man.

conner01

Reaction score
Call me crazy (hey watch it!) but I think all 5 contribute this year. Solid draft picks who have been around a year now and understand how the pro game is played now. Just get them healthy and watch their production in preseason.
They can all contribute
How much they contribute is gonna be a huge factor in our success this season and next year roster

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Young guys are always hungry. They want to prove themselves. That's why someone needs to tell Zeke its a do or die year for him. So we can have him out there trying to prove himself. Damn I whish we had a Jimmy or a Parcells to do that. Those guys knew how to get in a players head.
I know! I want Zeke to succeed so bad. Not because "I want to be right"...but because I really enjoy watching him play well and it's good for our team.

I think some of it is injury/wear...and some of it is light a fire under that!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was a really nice prospect, but his future is strictly at S. Lacks the agility for man.
I can see him getting some work as a "big slot" covering TE's. He isnt coming down to cover WR's. He showed some nice stuff in preseason. He seemed to be able to make us of his length. Got a couple nice PD's. He'll be an interesting guy to watch in preseason to see if he progessed

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5 Second-Year Players To Watch For The Cowboys

sdfnjfjydasaxclflv08

Besides reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Micah Parsons, here are five more second-year on the Cowboys roster who could have a larger role for the Cowboys in 2022.

Jabril Cox
Cox, a fourth-round pick last year, only played seven games and nine total defensive snaps before tearing the ACL in his right knee on Halloween night against the Vikings. His injury rehab is going well, and it sounds like the Cowboys have larger plans for him in 2022.

"Should be a big plus for us this year. Will fill right in where Keanu (Neal) left off," Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones told reporters last month. "A good offseason will be good for him. Really like his upside."

Josh Ball
Let's circle back to what head coach Mike McCarthy said about Ball 360 days ago when the Cowboys drafted the 23-year-old offensive tackle in the fourth round:

"I feel he has left tackle traits," McCarthy said. "That's clearly why he was so attractive to us, particularly at that point. Hopefully he can be a swing tackle because when you get to the 53 (full roster), now the next challenge is how does a player get up to the 48 (game day active roster)? The swing tackle is obviously very important in the eight offensive linemen that you keep up on game day."

The Cowboys never got a full read on Ball's potential last year. He injured his ankle just as the padded practices began in training camp. He spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. He never got to play in any of the four preseason games, either.

At the moment, though, the Cowboys don't appear to have a clear choice at swing tackle.

Kelvin Joseph
Injury didn't derail Joseph's rookie year quite like Ball's season-long absence, but the 2021 second-round pick did miss the first six games with a groin injury suffered in the preseason finale against Jacksonville. Anthony Brown had already edged Joseph for a starting cornerback job by that point, but the injury did delay his progress.

Joseph debuted on Halloween against the Vikings but didn't play regular snaps on defense until Dec. 26 against Washington while Jourdan Lewis was in COVID-19 protocol. Joseph had a tackle for loss and a pass breakup in that game and followed up with nine tackles against the Eagles two weeks later.

Chauncey Golston
It looked like a new deal for Randy Gregory was going to happen. It didn't. Gregory went to Denver, and the Cowboys decided to recreate his production (6.0 sacks, 30 pressures) by signing Fowler and re-signing Dorance Armstrong to a two-year deal.

Edge rusher could be a priority at some point in the draft, too. But it's also possible that Golston, a 2021 third-round pick, sees an uptick in snaps after averaging just under 30 in 15 games last year.

Golston missed all of training camp and preseason, plus the first two games of the season, with a hamstring injury. A full offseason should help.

Quinton Bohanna
The Cowboys' run defense was vastly improved from 2020, when they allowed the second-most rushing yards in franchise history, but it can still improve. And there's always a place for a 300-plus-pound run stuffer in the middle of the defensive line.

That's why the Cowboys drafted Bohanna in the sixth round last year: to hopefully occupy two blockers and create space for others to make plays. He didn't have a huge role in the rotation (just under 20% of the defensive snaps) and finished the season with 12 tackles and one pressure. But it'll be interesting to see if he can earn a few more snaps, especially if veteran Brent Urban isn't re-signed and/or the Cowboys don't invest an early draft pick at defensive tackle.

Read Full Story
A bit concerned Cox only played 9 defensive snaps in 7 games even before getting hurt. Speculation was he would immediately file a role in some packages with his coverage abilities, and that didn't happen. Will be more opportunity this year, but he's coming off an ACL injury.

Really, all of these guys are pretty uncertain at this point. I feel at least somewhat confident Joseph can fill a role, but far from sure about the others

plasticman

Reaction score
I still say Parcells set this team and defense back 10 years when he went to the 3-4.
So he is an to blame as much as anyone.

They did not have the players to run a 3-4. As we know it takes years to build that through the draft. Though they did bring in some FA's at the time.
Then jerry hired Wade as HC because he ran a 3-4, was this really the right choice?
Then the Garrett debacle, when it turns out he was not the right choice.
Then the change back to the 4-3, again without the right personnel. Then all the lame DC's coming in.

So yeah, sounds about right, Quinn leaves, so an entire new defense. While Moore twiddles his thumbs on the offense.
Parcells ran a traditional 3-4 and Spears and Canty were perfect DE's for that style. In a traditional 3-4 the D-line's job is pretty much just get in the way. The LB's are the guys that get to pick up all the stats. Parcells tried to use a traditional NT when he got Ferguson and Ratliff was a DE.

Wade Phillips used a different style of 3-4 in which the DE's were more aggressive. That meant less bulk and more speed. He also used Ratliff as a NT which exposed the run defense down the middle. He used Ware as pretty much a designated pass rusher which is the opposite of a traditional 3-4 which uses the element of surprise with respect to the 4th pass rusher.

Essentially, Wade's defense was nothing more than a 4-3 playing out of position. In my opinion, these were the changes that doomed the 3-4 for the Cowboys. Spears and Canty were shipped out, they never got bigger at NT and they flatlined halfway through the 2010 season.

But here is the interesting fact:

Landry and Johnson were both defensive minded coaches but their defenses never achieved #1 rankings in both points and yards, not once during their careers.

The closest the Cowboys came to #1 rankings in both categories was the one time they ranked #1 in yards and #2 in points.

The year?

It was 2003, Parcell's first season as the Cowboys HC. He came in late and decided to keep the 4-3....for the most part. he did employ the "mystery" pass rusher. In fact, only one defensive starter that year had zero sacks.

Therefore, the Cowboys best defensive ranking in their history was created by a lame duck defense that only existed by circumstaqnces I meantioned.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm excited for each of these guys this season and will be key to our defense to taking another step forward.

Cox- I think has the biggest opportunity to make a splash with only LVE expected to be used as a full-time LB. There will be plenty of snaps for him to take a step forward.

Joseph- Crowded field vying for the CB number 2 position. Joseph flashed some talent when healthy but still really raw. However, I would expect him to push for the #2 spot this season if he stays focused.

Ball- Interested in seeing what Ball can bring, I think he'll be a swing Tackle this year and when Tyron misses his usual 4 games this year I hope he's ready.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm excited for each of these guys this season and will be key to our defense to taking another step forward.

Cox- I think has the biggest opportunity to make a splash with only LVE expected to be used as a full-time LB. There will be plenty of snaps for him to take a step forward.

Joseph- Crowded field vying for the CB number 2 position. Joseph flashed some talent when healthy but still really raw. However, I would expect him to push for the #2 spot this season if he stays focused.

Ball- Interested in seeing what Ball can bring, I think he'll be a swing Tackle this year and when Tyron misses his usual 4 games this year I hope he's ready.
Thats the build model, this FO build model so we are going to see how this turns out.
Got rid of some lazy contracts and expecting a lot out of last years draft class, which isnt a bad thing at all if you hit on a few and its a transitional thing if you hit on most, which is rare... just saying.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
5 Second-Year Players To Watch For The Cowboys

sdfnjfjydasaxclflv08

Besides reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Micah Parsons, here are five more second-year on the Cowboys roster who could have a larger role for the Cowboys in 2022.

Jabril Cox
Cox, a fourth-round pick last year, only played seven games and nine total defensive snaps before tearing the ACL in his right knee on Halloween night against the Vikings. His injury rehab is going well, and it sounds like the Cowboys have larger plans for him in 2022.

"Should be a big plus for us this year. Will fill right in where Keanu (Neal) left off," Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones told reporters last month. "A good offseason will be good for him. Really like his upside."

Josh Ball
Let's circle back to what head coach Mike McCarthy said about Ball 360 days ago when the Cowboys drafted the 23-year-old offensive tackle in the fourth round:

"I feel he has left tackle traits," McCarthy said. "That's clearly why he was so attractive to us, particularly at that point. Hopefully he can be a swing tackle because when you get to the 53 (full roster), now the next challenge is how does a player get up to the 48 (game day active roster)? The swing tackle is obviously very important in the eight offensive linemen that you keep up on game day."

The Cowboys never got a full read on Ball's potential last year. He injured his ankle just as the padded practices began in training camp. He spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. He never got to play in any of the four preseason games, either.

At the moment, though, the Cowboys don't appear to have a clear choice at swing tackle.

Kelvin Joseph
Injury didn't derail Joseph's rookie year quite like Ball's season-long absence, but the 2021 second-round pick did miss the first six games with a groin injury suffered in the preseason finale against Jacksonville. Anthony Brown had already edged Joseph for a starting cornerback job by that point, but the injury did delay his progress.

Joseph debuted on Halloween against the Vikings but didn't play regular snaps on defense until Dec. 26 against Washington while Jourdan Lewis was in COVID-19 protocol. Joseph had a tackle for loss and a pass breakup in that game and followed up with nine tackles against the Eagles two weeks later.

Chauncey Golston
It looked like a new deal for Randy Gregory was going to happen. It didn't. Gregory went to Denver, and the Cowboys decided to recreate his production (6.0 sacks, 30 pressures) by signing Fowler and re-signing Dorance Armstrong to a two-year deal.

Edge rusher could be a priority at some point in the draft, too. But it's also possible that Golston, a 2021 third-round pick, sees an uptick in snaps after averaging just under 30 in 15 games last year.

Golston missed all of training camp and preseason, plus the first two games of the season, with a hamstring injury. A full offseason should help.

Quinton Bohanna
The Cowboys' run defense was vastly improved from 2020, when they allowed the second-most rushing yards in franchise history, but it can still improve. And there's always a place for a 300-plus-pound run stuffer in the middle of the defensive line.

That's why the Cowboys drafted Bohanna in the sixth round last year: to hopefully occupy two blockers and create space for others to make plays. He didn't have a huge role in the rotation (just under 20% of the defensive snaps) and finished the season with 12 tackles and one pressure. But it'll be interesting to see if he can earn a few more snaps, especially if veteran Brent Urban isn't re-signed and/or the Cowboys don't invest an early draft pick at defensive tackle.

Read Full Story

Thanks, Spagsfor the annual propaganda.
Blimey, these lads are certainly the ones to watch. Most likely they will show us talent commensurate to their rookie minimum.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
The 2021 Draft will have a more positive impact on this team than the 2016 Draft... In my humble opinion..

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
The dreaded Sophomore Slump.
I seriously doubt Parsons repeats his level he had his rookie year.
Hopefully we see Travon Diggs level of improvement from rookie to year 2.

Not comin at you, but Diggs sophomore campaign he broke records!!!!!!

Sorry I'm just a sunshine boy, pay me no mind