DC.COM Blog: Mick Shots: Romo expects to start Skins game/Full Practice Update

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo Expects To Start At Washington
Posted by mickshot at 11/5/2008 12:39 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

No one has wanted to say with total conviction so far during this bye week quarterback Tony Romo would return after missing the past three games with a broken little finger on his right hand to start against the Washington Commanders come Nov. 16.

Romo totally cleared that up on Wednesday when he was asked if he was assuming he will start against the Commanders.

"I would be very surprised if I didn't," Romo said with total conviction.

Romo said he did some throwing early on Wednesday, and was expected to do a little more when the Cowboys head out to practice here in about 30 minutes. How much he actually works during team drills would probably be limited since there is no sense risking his finger that still isn't fully healed accidently hitting a helmet while running plays. But he said he should be ready to practice next week, and will only utilize a splint to give him some support and some protection, but the protective devise will be far less than what he tried to play with in St. Louis.

"I expect to practice," Romo said, but not to what extent. "We're going to see (how much). It's feeling better, but it's still not all healed and see where it does." And when asked about any pain he's feeling while throwing the ball, he shrugged, saying, "It's manageable."

Mickey Spagnola

Comments (48) | Permanent Link

Here Is Your Practice Update
Posted by mickshot at 11/5/2008 2:58 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

The Cowboys have hit the practice field for the first time this bye week, and here is your update on Wednesday from The Ranch with practice going on as we speak:

Tony Romo: The Cowboys quarterback is practicing, and with the first team during those pre-practice drills we are able to watch. Romo appeared to be throwing the ball with a decent amount of authority, although he is working with a small splint on his still fractured little finger on his right hand that causes some throws to be released too high. Romo also is taking snaps under center.

Terence Newman: For the first time since having surgery to repair his sports hernia, Newman is in helmet and pads practicing with the Cowboys, and was lining up with the first-team defense during the pre-practice drills, usually a sign of where guys will line up once the portion of practice begins we don’t get to see. This bodes well for Newman returning for the Washington game.

Kyle Kosier: While the Cowboys starting left guard has been participating in the pre-practice drills for the past three weeks, Wednesday is the first time he’s actually lining up with the first-team offense and appears he’ll be ready to return for the Washington game. That moves Cory Procter to second-team center, while Montrae Holland continues to work as the backup left guard.

Felix Jones: Of the four players who have been out the past couple of games, Jones is the only one who still isn’t participating in practice. Felix still is working off to the side with trainers doing rehab work on his hamstring, and at this point appears highly questionable to return for the Washington game.

Jason Witten: Obviously the Cowboys tight end made a heroic effort to play in Sunday's game with his fractured rib, but there is no way he'll practice this week for sure -- and maybe not next -- and definitely was not practicing on Wednesday.

Flozell Adams: The Cowboys finally have decided to give their starting left tackle a break, allowing him to receive further treatment and rest for his swollen right hand and problematic finger, along with the left shoulder that seems to be losing strength after suffering that stinger against Arizona. Pat McQuistan was taking his reps with the first-team offense.

Zach Thomas: While Thomas was at practice, the veteran linebacker only had his jersey on, head coach Wade Phillips obviously allowing his 35-year-old linebacker to get a well-needed breather this bye week.

Roy Williams: The recently-added receiver’s absence from Wednesday’s bye-week practice caused a media stir, since it was assumed the newcomer would be able to use this week to further transition into the offense.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, on his way out to practice, was unaware of Williams’ absence, but said he’d get to the bottom of it. And he did, later saying one of Williams’ children was having a tonsillectomy and was excused from practice.

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Mickey Spagnola[/FONT]

Comments (39) | Permanent Link

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Roy Williams: The recently-added receiver’s absence from Wednesday’s bye-week practice caused a media stir, since it was assumed the newcomer would be able to use this week to further transition into the offense.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, on his way out to practice, was unaware of Williams’ absence, but said he’d get to the bottom of it. And he did, later saying one of Williams’ children was having a tonsillectomy and was excused from practice.

Tonsillectomy? Why couldn't his wife handle that?

1fisher

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2404130 said:

Did you ever consider that some FATHERS want to be involved with things regarding their children ? Some things are more important you know!

Mattsdad

Reaction score
I dont blame Williams at all; I would go to be there with my child as well.

My brother lost one of his fellow law enforcement officers last week when he went in for a tonsillectomy and after being released that evening, the young man never woke up from sleeping that night.

You can never tell; I dont blame RW one bit and I am actually proud of him for putting things into perspective.

Mansta54

Reaction score

Please tell me you're kidding. Do you have kids? Geeez!!!!

Mike_45

Reaction score

Are you being serious or is this sarcasm? He is a father and probably wanted to be with his child while he had surgery.

Reaction score
Mike_45;2404186 said:
Are you being serious or is this sarcasm? He is a father and probably wanted to be with his child while he had surgery.

Go easy on him, he's probably a 17 year old kid himself.

Frozen700

Reaction score
88 enough said;2404206 said:
Go easy on him, he's probably a 17 year old kid himself.

look at his sig...i highly doubt it

Good news about Romo n Newman

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score

My child having any kind of surgery >>>> Dallas Cowboys

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Mattsdad;2404169 said:
I dont blame Williams at all; I would go to be there with my child as well.

My brother lost one of his fellow law enforcement officers last week when he went in for a tonsillectomy and after being released that evening, the young man never woke up from sleeping that night.

You can never tell; I dont blame RW one bit and I am actually proud of him for putting things into perspective.

There is much more morbidity (complications) and mortality (death) with a tonsillectomy than say a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal). Very much more morbidity and about 10X more likely to end in death. Those are elective surgeries only.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
That's the problem with this team. We have a bunch of softies that care too much about their children.

We need pragmatic guys like Mike Tyson, who when met with the decision of practicing or missing the session to attend his child's surgery, would have simply opted for Plan C: Eat the kid.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
RainMan;2404501 said:
That's the problem with this team. We have a bunch of softies that care too much about their children.

We need pragmatic guys like Mike Tyson, who when met with the decision of practicing or missing the session to attend his child's surgery, would have simply opted for Plan C: Eat the kid.

:laugh2: