DC.COM/DMN: T.O. Cool, Calm And Collected In Locker Room/Preaches Patience

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by mickshot at 10/8/2008 12:31 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

No headline-grabbing statements. No sparring with the media. Really no nothing in the locker room on Wednesday from Terrell Owens, who remained under control and polite during his entire interview session.

When there was obvious baiting going on, Owens declined to answer, basically telling the person asking the question to watch the tape and figure that out for himself.

When he was asked about Sunday’s sideline emotion following his touchdown against Cincinnati, Owens politely declined to answer, saying he addressed that subject Tuesday during two radio interviews, but did say he was unable to attend the funeral of the person close to him who had passed away.

And when asked a second time about the incident, Owens said, “I told you I was not going to talk about what happened in the game, respect that.”

And just in case you care about football-related information, Owens did say he thought teams were doubling him more this year, trying to take him out of the Cowboys offense, than they were last year.

- Mickey Spagnola

Comments (36) | Permanent Link

T.O.'s preaching patience

1:34 PM Wed, Oct 08, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

T.O. is on pace for 60 catches. He's had fewer that that only twice in his career -- his rookie season and 2005, when the Eagles basically booted him off the team after seven games.

Everybody knows T.O. wants the ball as much as possible. But he vows not to become frustrated with his role as teams scheme to take him out of the offense.

"Man, I can't do any more than I can do," T.O. said during his weekly chit-chat in front of his Valley Ranch locker. "Because if I get frustrated, you guys will make a story about it, so I have to limit myself as far as how I react to things. I just go to the sideline. I just take it series by series. I think that I just try to focus more and just get the opportunities that come my way and make the best of those."

T.O. said he's seeing more double- and triple-teams than before. Green Bay basically gave the rest of the league a blueprint by putting Charles Woodson on him in press coverage and playing a safety over the top.

"If that guy didn't have help, very seldom would you see a guy get up on him like that," Tony Romo said. "If he takes a safety over, that's two guys out of the play. That allows us to do a lot of things offensively."

Of course, there's no rule stating that T.O. has to accept being a double-teamed decoy. He emphasized that he'd just follow the game plan, which he wanted to make sure we understand that he doesn't create, but he believes there are ways to put him in position to make plays regardless of the defensive scheme.

T.O. mentioned that Eagles coach Andy Reid was "more offensive minded being a head coach" and did things to get him the ball. The same thing happened last season, but for some reason, the Cowboys haven't been moving T.O. around or sending him in motion as much this year.

T.O. only went in motion twice against the Bengals, serving as a decoy both times. He gushed last season about how Jason Garrett created opportunities for him by sending him in motion, which usually results in a free release and can create mismatches and confusion in the defense.

T.O. didn't say that he wants to go in motion more this season, but he certainly didn't shoot down questions about whether that would help him.
"I feel like we'll get to those things," he said. "We just haven't gotten to those things yet."

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
No headline-grabbing statements. No sparring with the media. Really no nothing in the locker room on Wednesday from Terrell Owens, who remained under control and polite during his entire interview session.

When there was obvious baiting going on, Owens declined to answer, basically telling the person asking the question to watch the tape and figure that out for himself.

Maybe he finally starting to get it.

khiladi

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2319137 said:
T.O. mentioned that Eagles coach Andy Reid was "more offensive minded being a head coach" and did things to get him the ball. The same thing happened last season, but for some reason, the Cowboys haven't been moving T.O. around or sending him in motion as much this year.

T.O. only went in motion twice against the Bengals, serving as a decoy both times. He gushed last season about how Jason Garrett created opportunities for him by sending him in motion, which usually results in a free release and can create mismatches and confusion in the defense.

T.O. didn't say that he wants to go in motion more this season, but he certainly didn't shoot down questions about whether that would help him.
"I feel like we'll get to those things," he said. "We just haven't gotten to those things yet."

Exactly.. And it isn't just motion, it is running quick slants up the middle... A couple reverses here and there and trying to run him out of the backfield are not the way to get him involved in the game plan...

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2319169 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

braw

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2319169 said:

Well maybe you don't get it. How can two people be there and yet blog two different things. One mentions good things and the other hints of things like the Andy Reid comment. Yet you bolden the good thing to make your point but not the McMahon BS that shows how he does not bring it on his own. He is not the Editor of any media outlet.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
braw;2319242 said:
Well maybe you don't get it. How can two people be there and yet blog two different things. One mentions good things and the other hints of things like the Andy Reid comment. Yet you bolden the good thing to make your point but not the McMahon BS that shows how he does not bring it on his own. He is not the Editor of any media outlet.

owens declined to answer.

That right there is what I was talking about. I get it.

kramskoi

Reaction score
...just one of the things that has irked me about the Cowboys during the Parcells era...watching the way Carolina utilizes Steve Smith, one has to wonder why Dallas has'nt taken a similar approach with Owens this year versus last...maybe there are reasons we're not privy to...his production is definitely down from last year...

ddh33

Reaction score
I think TO is right. I don't believe you just have to accept the defense. The Cowboys have been pretty content to do that this year. They take what he defense is giving them, and they are putting up 30 a game. I'm not complaining...

At the same time, I think TO's frustration is the the Cowboys are allowing him to be taken out of these games. They are content to use him as a decoy instead of doing more things to help him get going.

I would never advocate making the team suffer so that TO can get big numbers. But I do think that the team is better and more explosive when TO is heavily involved.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
romoakatruebeast;2319160 said:
DAmn 60 catches???

thats gross...

I will bet Tony Romo's $67 million dollar contract that TO would take 60 catches or less if it resulted in a Super Bowl win.

Das' wassup!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2319137 said:
“I told you I was not going to talk about what happened in the game, respect that.”

"Man, I can't do any more than I can do Because if I get frustrated, you guys will make a story about it, so I have to limit myself as far as how I react to things. I just go to the sideline. I just take it series by series. I think that I just try to focus more and just get the opportunities that come my way and make the best of those."

I have to admit that these are the most intelligent comments I've read from him. Ever. While I will never like him outside of what he brings as a premier wide receiver and athlete, even I must say :clap2: . He doesn't owe the media squat and the media doesn't likewise deserve anything in return. Hopefully, he'll continue the good work in this area of his professional career. :crossed: