DC.COM: Mick Shots: Moving Right Along - 11/3/08

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by mickshot at 11/3/2008 7:01 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

* Tony Romo will try to do a little throwing this week, just as he said after the game Sunday night he would. But without the cast on at Giants Stadium, Romo tried tossing the ball around a little but still was having a difficulty gripping the ball and snapping it out of his hand. The end of this week will make four since he suffered the fracture to the little finger. By time the Washington game rolls around it will be five. Broken bones generally need six weeks to fully heal. This will be close.

* So demoting your backup quarterback to No. 3 means having to now find a new holder for place kicks when Romo returns. When the question was asked, I was thinking, well heck, the backup holder to Brad Johnson is Mat McBriar, and Nick Folk has told me several times about what a good job he does placing the ball down. When Wade Phillips started talking about Patrick Crayton and Sam Paulescu, it was like, duh, McBriar is out for the season with the broken bones in his kicking foot. See how you take what some guys do for granted?

* If the Commanders lose to Pittsburgh Monday night, that means other than the East-leading Giants (7-1) and the South-leading Panthers (6-2), no other NFC team will have less than three losses. That means the 5-4 Cowboys, as bad as all that seems right now, would only be one game behind two teams and a half behind another. There are losses to be passed out in this conference the rest of the way. Just got to make sure no more than two are handed to you.

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Mickey Spagnola [/FONT]

Comments (105) | Permanent Link

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
While it may be mundane, I am very concerned with us having a new holder for kicks.

How many times do you see game winners muffed because of inexperience and from the hold/snap. Combine that with pressure situation and it is not good.

Do I think it will happen? No. But the chances that it will just increased alot.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2399369 said:
* If the Commanders lose to Pittsburgh Monday night, that means other than the East-leading Giants (7-1) and the South-leading Panthers (6-2), no other NFC team will have less than three losses. That means the 5-4 Cowboys, as bad as all that seems right now, would only be one game behind two teams and a half behind another. There are losses to be passed out in this conference the rest of the way. Just got to make sure no more than two are handed to you.
Straight from the 'anything can happen' handbook.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2399458 said:
While it may be mundane, I am very concerned with us having a new holder for kicks.

How many times do you see game winners muffed because of inexperience and from the hold/snap. Combine that with pressure situation and it is not good.

Do I think it will happen? No. But the chances that it will just increased alot.

Depending on the game, I might just make Johnson active so he can hold for kicks, and make Bollinger the "third" quarterback but consider him the backup. If Romo got knocked out of the game and we weren't comfortably ahead, I'd put Bollinger in the game. If Bollinger also got hurt, we'd be out of quarterbacks -- but we had only two quarterbacks on the roster quite a bit in recent seasons anyway.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
If you're talking about the "emergency" QB that doesn't count against your gameday roster, then I think the number two QB has to be injured for him to come in.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I like Folk's sense of humor. Sounds pretty dry, like me.
I'd think a Crayton or Witten would be the guy, considering they have pretty strong hands.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Word Mofo;2399531 said:
If you're talking about the "emergency" QB that doesn't count against your gameday roster, then I think the number two QB has to be injured for him to come in.

That's not correct. The third QB can enter the game at any time. But if he comes in before the fourth quarter, the other two quarterbacks are ineligible to return to the game.

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2399458 said:

Think...Seattle...2 years ago!