News: DC.com | Stephen Jones: We have 100 Percent Belief In Dak

Qcard

Reaction score
xuhxdxhxhk2fnnj3nl5s.jpg

AP Photo/Ron Jenkins
If there's any animosity between the Cowboys and Dak Prescott because the two sides failed to come to terms on a long-term contract before the deadline earlier this month, it's hard to tell.

At least from the Cowboys' perspective, there seems to be nothing but excitement about Prescott leading the team into this 2020 season that undoubtedly will have its share of challenges, both on and off the field.

But in a recent virtual interview on DallasCowboys.com, Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones said there is absolutely no hard feelings about not getting a deal done.

"We had a great visit with him at the deadline. We pushed to try to have a few more changes here and there to see if we could get it done," Jones said of the NFL's July 15 deadline for teams to negotiate long-term deals with players under the franchise tag. "But he's got such a great outlook on the Dallas Cowboys, our football team, and he's ready to go out and win a Super Bowl, which would only create more value for him, more value for the Cowboys.

"So we're fired up about it and still have nothing but 100 percent belief in Dak and his future with the Cowboys, and that we can ultimately get a deal done. He's special. As Jerry and I have said, we are 110 percent behind him, and ultimately feel like we'll get this done."

When asked how close they got to finalizing a deal, Stephen Jones would only say there were extensive talks right up to the deadline.

"I don't want to use 'close' in terms of negotiations. You either get a deal done or you don't," he said. "We didn't quite get it done. I wouldn't put blame on either side. It's just one of those things, when you're talking about a deal as big as this is – for our team, not just for Dak but our entire team, the ramifications that it has – we certainly want to get it done right. I know he's respectful of Jerry and myself of what we're trying to get accomplished, just as we are with him."

Undoubtedly, this is a season that has already seen plenty of change because of COVID-19 and that uncertainty will likely continue as we get closer to the season. Without making excuses, Stephen Jones cited these unprecedented times as part of the holdup in getting this contract finalized.

"We've never had one quite like it. It's certainly very interesting times when you look at what's going on with having to sit down with the union and negotiate what goes on with the virus when the revenues aren't where they should be," Jones said. "So we had some challenges because it wasn't normal times. Certainly, we've got nothing but respect for Dak and his representation in terms of what they're trying to get out of the deal.

"They certainly want a shorter deal. Historically we have, as management, wanted longer deals because it's more cap friendly and we're able to spread some things out and keep some players. At the end of the day, and Dak understands this, that's what we're trying to do."

Prescott has signed his $31.4 million franchise tender and will play the 2020 season under the tag. Following the season, the two sides can revisit their contract talks and work on getting a new contract, or the Cowboys can place the tag on him for a second year. That figure would be in the range of $38 million. That's a hefty price tag regardless of the season but could be even greater depending on what happens with next year's salary cap.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/stephen-jones-we-have-100-percent-belief-in-dak

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
yep video too appears not the least bit bothered by the Contract situation. Look it as Parcells would say...this is not Stephen first rodeo and even for those whom are completely sold on Dak waiting is prudent with some many unknowns.

Said it before, and will say it again, I'm not convinced this is something perhaps they BOTH wanted it. There's a strong case for Both waiting/benefiting getting it done after this season. But you're right, you get the impression Stephen could have closed the deal IF he wanted to. Doesn't seem concerned at all...

BTW.......Just me, but all this talk about taking QB in 1st/2nd round of 2021 draft is nonsense.

Qcard

Reaction score
Should have done a deal with him a year ago.
Exactly, they should have given Dak a contract extension in 2018 off-season.

Dak base was $600k in 2018.

If Stephen had given Dak $28M per and $80M guaranteed Dak would have jumped. It was about the same time Dak off field endorsements exploded.

The Cowboys came to Dak after he his account and got fat. He had more incentive and Financial comfort to bet on himself.

Qcard

Reaction score
Said it before, and will say it again, I'm not convinced this is something perhaps they BOTH wanted it. There's a strong case for Both waiting/benefiting getting it done after this season. But you're right, you get the impression Stephen could have closed the deal IF he wanted to. Doesn't seem concerned at all...

BTW.......Just me, but all this talk about taking QB in 1st/2nd round of 2021 draft is nonsense.
Well, past McCarthy likes stock piling QBs.

I am excited about Ben DiNucci

Flamma

Reaction score
So they have 100% belief in Dak? You don't say? Because if they didn't, what would they say? We're not too sure about him and we hope he plays well. They're never going to say that. This is why I never take seriously questions or comments that can only have one answer.

kskboys

Reaction score
So they have 100% belief in Dak? You don't say? Because if they didn't, what would they say? We're not too sure about him and we hope he plays well. They're never going to say that. This is why I never take seriously questions or comments that can only have one answer.
Yeah, it's just NFL speak, not worthy of its own thread.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is humorous...I mean you paying the vatto megabucks for this year. What SJ gonna say...he’s a bum and we blew a wad on him.
Laughable.
Of course, the fact they are paying mega bucks this year backs up the idea that they believe in him. If they didn't why wouldn't they just go with Dalton?

That's not to say there isn't always a little smoke being blown in these kinds of press sessions, but it's not logical to think the negotiation would have gone to the deadline if Dallas didn't feel strongly about wanting to keep Dak.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Saying what he had to say. He's on the team this year, might as hell boost his ego up, and pray we trip and fall into the Superbowl.

Can't say how you really feel.

If we win, we won't care to keep him, we got a championship and that feeling will last at least 2-3 years, he can go somewhere else and charge big bucks only to show it's a fluke, just like Flacco.

#DontpayDak

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since they wanted a longer term contract than he did, them wanting him has never been the question. Why even address this?
Because it was a question the media asked. The media naturally is hoping for something they can twist into a drama, and I guess Stephen wanted to prevent that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Since they wanted a longer term contract than he did, them wanting him has never been the question. Why even address this?

Of course it's in question. He didn't get a contract after his 3rd year. He got tagged after his fourth year, and you still think it was never in question? They didn't pay Byron either. Why do you think that is? Because his stay in Dallas was in question. Then they find out he played really well. By that time it's too late. Same thing Dallas is doing with the other two corners.