News: DC: CowBuzz: Allen Hurns Addresses Jersey Number & Other Social Recations

Jipper

Reaction score
17 huh? hopefully that is how many TD's he has over the next 2 years in Dallas....that would be incredible!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, we should have replaced him as the No. 2 last year and not signed him to that contract. However, it might have worked out for the best for the team considering what we were able to get Hurns for this year. I'm not sure we would have got the same caliber receiver last year for that money. The health concerns and the timing of his release obviously played a role in that.

I wasn't big on chasing after Hurns, but the team really did get a great deal on his contract. Can't complain about that, as long as he's an addition to Dez and not any thought of a replacement.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was that or ‘pulling a Quincy.’

At this point? I'll take Quincy!
:laugh:
At least he didn't overstay his welcome!
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOGL1XyEBu9C0KwaEq7Tpp-1FeqLXR46pADDjdDMGQ2qHMziez

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wasn't big on chasing after Hurns, but the team really did get a great deal on his contract. Can't complain about that, as long as he's an addition to Dez and not any thought of a replacement.

As I mention in another thread, the only way it makes any sense at all to replace Dez is if we could get great value for him in a trade. And even then, we'd have to turn around and try to improve our receiving corps in the draft.

I can't see too many scenarios where we are not better off seeing what pairing Hurns and Bryant does for our offense. If those two can pressure the defense on the outside, then it spreads out the pass defense and opens things back up for Beasley. If teams continue to take away Beasley, then we can run Hurns out of the slot with Bryant and Williams on the outside in third downs and that keeps the pass defense from condensing. Thompson with his speed and the ability he showed last year also can be used to stretch the defense.

I look forward to the possibilities.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I mention in another thread, the only way it makes any sense at all to replace Dez is if we could get great value for him in a trade. And even then, we'd have to turn around and try to improve our receiving corps in the draft.

And the team would still be taking a big step backwards at receiver, no matter what rookie they're brought in.

I can't see too many scenarios where we are not better off seeing what pairing Hurns and Bryant does for our offense. If those two can pressure the defense on the outside, then it spreads out the pass defense and opens things back up for Beasley. If teams continue to take away Beasley, then we can run Hurns out of the slot with Bryant and Williams on the outside in third downs and that keeps the pass defense from condensing. Thompson with his speed and the ability he showed last year also can be used to stretch the defense.

I look forward to the possibilities.

As long as they use them! Butler produced when he got the chance last year and still couldn't get on the field. I just now hope that Sanjay Lal can work some magic with what he has and what he's been given.

I see a clear pattern where the new position coaches at receiver and O-line are getting an influx of new players to work with. That says to me that they're having an influence in decision making.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And the team would still be taking a big step backwards at receiver, no matter what rookie they're brought in.

Most likely, which is why it would have to be a worthwhile deal. Getting rid of Dez just to save money would be foolish.

As long as they use them! Butler produced when he got the chance last year and still couldn't get on the field. I just now hope that Sanjay Lal can work some magic with what he has and what he's been given.

I see a clear pattern where the new position coaches at receiver and O-line are getting an influx of new players to work with. That says to me that they're having an influence in decision making.

The good news is we're paying Hurns enough that it's obvious we plan for him to have a fairly prominent role. Thompson's role is much less defined.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but all of that debate was the media and us. Looks like if they'd landed Watkins, Dez might be gone but I don't think Hurns was seen as a #1WR replacement.

I hope not, because he isn't. But he could be a fine compliment to the passing game, especially at the price.

vlad

Reaction score
What happens in Hurns comes in and has like 30 catches for 400 yards? People are going to call for his head? Beasley was everyone's slice of bread in 2016, now he sucks? Upgrading #2 is great, but how much freaking talent do we need to have an offense that doesn't fall apart to historic levels when one guy or two guys are out?

I don't think this would happen under most coaches watch...I'm not saying we need McVay or Pederson, but well maybe I am :)

You can keep churning the bottom but maybe its the churn at the top that is the only solution (over perfect health and a no previous pattern to diagnose)

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Agreed. And then let 2018 sort itself out.

But I have to say, as much as I'm not a "Terrance Williams guy", part of me feels for him. He signed a very reasonable contract to stay in Dallas out of "loyalty" and the poor guy will likely end up demoted or traded.
He needs to produce and this wouldn't have happened.

jrumann59

Reaction score
been reported TWill had an undisclosed injury in off season that FO just found out about.

TWill broke his foot training in the offseason and had surgery to fix. Sounds like maybe a Jones Fracture????

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
been reported TWill had an undisclosed injury in off season that FO just found out about.

TWill broke his foot training in the offseason and had surgery to fix. Sounds like maybe a Jones Fracture????

Saw Tom Poellisario (sp?) report the same.