News: DC: Dak Prescott headed to tag after no progress on new deal

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Dak Prescott headed to tag after no progress on new deal

0ap3000001074727_thumbnail_200_150.jpg

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports no progress has been made on the contract talks between the Cowboys and quarterback Dak Prescott. The QB is headed toward the franchise tag.

Read Full Story
I wish I knew the numbers that are being tossed around so I'd know who to start getting mad at.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They will get stupid and desperate and sign him, however, the confidence in Dak seems to be all talk or else Dak would have gotten his deal already. You don’t leave true franchise QBs hanging like this
You don't but at the same time we don't know what's offered or what's not being accepted. If Dak's team is looking for 40 million and they are closer to 33 million per.....they aren't going to budge. If he plays next season with a tag then yeah I think that would definitely say how they truly feel about him. I personally don't think you do your franchise QB like this if he's truly a franchise QB but may be they don't. But the sad part about that thinking is they have done nothing to even try and find a replacement. Not only that but they were willing to trade their 1st next year after trading last years 1st.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I disagree, just because Jerry wants to save his tag option until he has to have it doesn't mean he hasn't made up his mind to hang on to Dak. He just needs to decide if Amari or Dak is getting the tag before he gives a deal to the other. He's in no hurry so why are you being so impatient about it? It's not your money, if they aren't worried about it why are you so concerned?

I will ask you as well, show me the last true franchise QB that got hit with a franchise tag instead of getting an extension?

Your argument doesn’t work here. You don’t give a QB a franchise tag and mess around unless they are asking for something unreasonable or you have reservations on what they provide long term.

You do not squabble with your franchise QB over the finer details of a contract

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I will ask you as well, show me the last true franchise QB that got hit with a franchise tag instead of getting an extension?

Your argument doesn’t work here. You don’t give a QB a franchise tag and mess around unless they are asking for something unreasonable or you have reservations on what they provide long term.

Well its about to be the same franchise that let the league leading rusher go via free agency. Different positions but even at the time we didn't I don't recall anyone letting the #1 rusher in the league go.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What exactly is the transition tag that’s mentioned that Cooper could be tagged with?

Transition tag allows other teams to make offers while giving the Cowboys the option to match them or let the player go.

I keep reading about the "market" for Dak - this would be a good way to see it.

lkelly

Reaction score
Transition Dak and let the market set his rate. Plenty of passers in the draft at low cost to entice the teams in the top 10.

Franchise Amari.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You don't but at the same time we don't know what's offered or what's not being accepted. If Dak's team is looking for 40 million and they are closer to 33 million per.....they aren't going to budge. If he plays next season with a tag then yeah I think that would definitely say how they truly feel about him. I personally don't think you do your franchise QB like this if he's truly a franchise QB but may be they don't. But the sad part about that thinking is they have done nothing to even try and find a replacement. Not only that but they were willing to trade their 1st next year after trading last years 1st.

Before the season started, the report was the number was settled on but the argument was over the finer details along with the structure.

Everything that has been reported thus far goes against the stuff j Jones has said about his confidence in Dak.

Let me ask you, a mid 30s Romo got an extension, how much back and forth went on with that?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is hardly something to worry about. I am glad he is betting on himself.

He nails it, we win something. He does not, we get a reasonable price.

Either way the team wins.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

The answer to that makes no difference to what happens so there is no point asking it. My argument is what's happening whether you agree or not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Before the season started, the report was the number was settled on but the argument was over the finer details along with the structure.

Everything that has been reported thus far goes against the stuff j Jones has said about his confidence in Dak.

Let me ask you, a mid 30s Romo got an extension, how much back and forth went on with that?
Well this is why these newer guys are struggling to get extensions. They are having to go against Cowboys pasts ghosts in Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Romo, Ware, Barber, etc. I was down for the Romo extension but it was very stupid to do that with a guy having back problems. Cowboys played hardball with arguably the best running back in the league and one of their franchise players. Same with Lawrence. In past years....this would've never happened. I think when it comes to Dak there's much more money at stake.

It makes no sense to me if they are arguing over million. Like who wants to lose your franchise quarterback over a few million a year.

My theory is the Cowboys have been lowballing the guaranteed part of the contract. Allowing them to escape the deal like the 9ers did Kapernick. Which yes, would agree with your sentiment that you don't play with franchise quarterbacks.

It all makes zero sense. If you like the guy sign him. If you don't then get his replacement. But they have done NOTHING in regards to looking for a replacement. Not even a adequate backup.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It means they arent caving to his unrealistic demands, numnuts
lol, correction... haven't caved yet. They have no choice because they know they want to keep him. You aren't bright enough to have figured this out? lol

romonumberone

Reaction score
Still a lot of time left for things to happen. It does hurt our leverage with Cooper. I think this at least means that Jerry & Stephen have a little bit of BS in them. If they really thought that Dak was a generational talent they would not be so worried about paying him.... instead it seems like they know that Dak is only as good as the talent around him..... & that is being generous to Dak.

dwreck27

Reaction score
People asking if he would be upset with a tag?

dudes been playing for peanuts relative to his performance on his rookie deal...

tag gets him top 3 QB money that he deserves till these two sides can agree on a longer deal that still pays him top 5 QB money but keeping the team competitive going forward

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Still a lot of time left for things to happen. It does hurt our leverage with Cooper. I think this at least means that Jerry & Stephen have a little bit of BS in them. If they really thought that Dak was a generational talent they would not be so worried about paying him.... instead it seems like they know that Dak is only as good as the talent around him..... & that is being generous to Dak.

Exactly what I am saying. There is no other way to read into this.

We are mid-season into the final year of his contract - you don’t screw around like this with a QB you feel can get you to the big dance. It’s exactly why the QB market is the way it is right now and Jerry and Stephen aren’t ahead of the league on this with some master plan.

John813

Reaction score
Why does it have to automatically go to franchise tag?

Assets.

Franchise tag and the other team has to fork over 2 first if they offer sheet him and he accepts.

Transition tag is a pure take it or leave it tag.

Miami could come in at 39 mil a year , and make it a hard choice for dallas. If we don't sign him to their deal he walks for nothing and there's no comp pick in 2021 for him leaving