News: DC: Draft Show Recap: Simmons A Possibility Now?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are right. I don’t know if I use my second rounder on him or even a 3rd. I don’t think he’s going to be taken as early as some think but you never know. The acl injury already pushed his status a round at least. How much the situation in high school hurts him could be a few rounds. Teams may not want to take that pr hit on draft night.
If he were to fall to the 3rd round or later I would have a different view of the risk. It’s much easier to gamble the deeper you are in the draft. I’ll bet he gets taken in the 2nd round though.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I did see the video, and the woman was helpless on the ground and no threat to his sister as he repeatedly punched her. Sure, he could have done even worse, but it was pretty darn bad as it was.

Again, maybe he is a changed man, but it is not just explainable as a simple youthful indiscretion, and it is a red flag a team has to at least be aware of. Certainly an NFL team that signs him has to be aware that the NFL, who governs the teams and players, has such a dim view of the guy they refused to let him participate in the combine
Let's see...

This is nothing. Typical teenager street brawl that is actually overblown. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Plus, Simmons apologized to the woman & her family, and made up for it.

He continued that remake of himself by becoming a 4.0 academic college student, contributor to his community, awareness speaker at public schools, and an outstanding player/teammate to his college team.

Not much else one can ask for. He made 1 teenager mistake which he corrected and learned from. Sounds like someone who should be congratulated, not admonished.

I definitely wouldn't mind if the Cowboys picked him. Granted, I personally would not use anything higher than a 3rd round pick on him, but I would have no problem with his character if the Cowboys picked him up.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
While it would be a value pick at your spot, you can’t go away with no impact players until round 3. Remember the special teams draft?

Likely, Simmons will miss this year, and be super rusty year 2 as most ACL players are. So what would be a normal rookie year performance may not be seen until 2021 from the guy.

LOL, yes not another 09 draft.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see...

This is nothing. Typical teenager street brawl that is actually overblown. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Plus, Simmons apologized to the woman & her family, and made up for it.

He continued that remake of himself by becoming a 4.0 academic college student, contributor to his community, awareness speaker at public schools, and an outstanding player/teammate to his college team.

Not much else one can ask for. He made 1 teenager mistake which he corrected and learned from. Sounds like someone who should be congratulated, not admonished.

I definitely wouldn't mind if the Cowboys picked him. Granted, I personally would not use anything higher than a 3rd round pick on him, but I would have no problem with his character if the Cowboys picked him up.

You must have grown up in a hell hole neighborhood if a 270 lb guy repeatedly punching a female in the head who is laying defenseless on the ground is what you think of as a typical teenage street brawl.

As for the rest, again, I have said that maybe he is a changed man, but that doesn’t mean NFL teams shouldn’t be aware of past behavior, or that they should ignore the fact that the body that governs them has already shown a displeasure for the guy. And, again, my concern about drafting him isn’t only this. It is a combination of this, an ACL injury that will cause him to miss a season, and the fact that the team has no first round pick and therefore needs to not get too risky with the second round pick.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You must have grown up in a hell hole neighborhood if a 270 lb guy repeatedly punching a female in the head who is laying defenseless on the ground is what you think of as a typical teenage street brawl.

As for the rest, again, I have said that maybe he is a changed man, but that doesn’t mean NFL teams shouldn’t be aware of past behavior, or that they should ignore the fact that the body that governs them has already shown a displeasure for the guy. And, again, my concern about drafting him isn’t only this. It is a combination of this, an ACL injury that will cause him to miss a season, and the fact that the team has no first round pick and therefore needs to not get too risky with the second round pick.
Ok. We get it. You personally don't like the guy. Time to move on.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’d take him and go sign a free agent that you evaluate as equal to anyone you could have taken with that 2nd round pick. That’s also how I’d deal with not having a 1st. I’d go get a free agent I felt was equivalent. ET or Collins should do the trick.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. We get it. You personally don't like the guy. Time to move on.

Okay, we get it, you personally think it’s acceptable for a very large, very strong football player to repeatedly piunch a defenseless woman laying on the ground ....

See how that works? Don’t pull that weak BS on me.

I have no personal like or dislike of the guy. But there is a reason teams do background checks, and a reason to be worried about how the body that governs your team feels about a potential employee. I’ve never said no team should draft the guy, I’ve just said that this is one of several factors that make me think the Cowboys shouldn’t draft the guy.

I have no problem if you think he has made amends, and is on the right path now. I do, however, think it’s ridiculous that you repeatedly try to portray what he did as an acceptable action at the time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Okay, we get it, you personally think it’s acceptable for a very large, very strong football player to repeatedly piunch a defenseless woman laying on the ground ....

See how that works? Don’t pull that weak BS on me.

I have no personal like or dislike of the guy. But there is a reason teams do background checks, and a reason to be worried about how the body that governs your team feels about a potential employee. I’ve never said no team should draft the guy, I’ve just said that this is one of several factors that make me think the Cowboys shouldn’t draft the guy.

I have no problem if you think he has made amends, and is on the right path now. I do, however, think it’s ridiculous that you repeatedly try to portray what he did as an acceptable action at the time.
Go complain to someone who cares. Never once did I condone hitting a woman, nor have I ever. Simply reminded you the young man has made amends and corrected his flaws. He definitely is worthy of being drafted by the Cowboys, something that obviously bothers you. Too bad for you if they do. Whine away if you'd like.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go complain to someone who cares. Never once did I condone hitting a woman, nor have I ever. Simply reminded you the young man has made amends and corrected his flaws. He definitely is worthy of being drafted by the Cowboys, something that obviously bothers you. Too bad for you if they do. Whine away if you'd like.

Lol, apparently you care because you keep responding to me. You don’t have to agree with me or disagree with me, but here you are anyway.

And you did defend what Simmons did by saying he was only protecting his sister, and by saying it was just a typical street fight. You treated it as justified and not a big deal - just kids being kids in a street fight.

As if street fighting is acceptable to NFL teams. Lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Taking 2nd rounders that have to sit for the year like Jaylon are a waste at this point. This team needs to win NOW. We have a young team that needs to win NOW. Pushing this stuff into the future any longer just makes Zeke and the OL a year older. The time is NOW, we need an impact player to heavily contribute this year!
When?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol, apparently you care because you keep responding to me. You don’t have to agree with me or disagree with me, but here you are anyway.

And you did defend what Simmons did by saying he was only protecting his sister, and by saying it was just a typical street fight. You treated it as justified and not a big deal - just kids being kids in a street fight.

As if street fighting is acceptable to NFL teams. Lol
Waaaah!

:popcorn:

CPanther95

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't have character issues because he's done a "complete 180" ...

... has character issues.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Considering our propensity to draft injured and troubled players in the second round … with the 58th pick of the draft, the Dallas Cowboys select … Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons.

conner01

Reaction score
You apparently haven’t watched Simmons play. And boy, I’ll bet you’re glad we didn’t take Jaylon because he couldn’t start right away.
When you have a one it’s easier to justify risking a two
I get the argument that the talent is worth it but we are gonna have 15-20 spots to fill by signing our guys, FA, draft and UDFA
Waiting till the 3rd to have a player for this year is really gonna hurt but down the road it could really pay off
The only way to make that work is really sign 2-3 really good FA in prove it type short term deals

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The simple fact the NFL refused to invite him to the combine makes it an issue. It demonstrates that the body that governs each NFL team has a concern and will be watching closely once he is in the league.

Besides, something being an issue doesn’t mean it’s certain to arise again, it just means it’s something a team has to be aware of and make a decision on how confident they are they it won’t arise again.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t heard anything about a character issue. I’ve actually heard the opposite that he’s done a complete 180.

There's a video, he's admitted to it and copped a plea. It was several years ago but the video is easily accessible. And it always will be.