News: DC: Draft Show Recap: Simmons A Possibility Now?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Well, all I can say is, let's ALL hope and pray to hell JJ the GM can hit on another LVE type player. Not meaning his position, but his character and play!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he were to fall to the 3rd round or later I would have a different view of the risk. It’s much easier to gamble the deeper you are in the draft. I’ll bet he gets taken in the 2nd round though.

I'm thinking the same way, it's a tough balance. On one hand, you can't ignore or downplay what happened, it's a reprehensible act. But on the other, forgiveness and redemption are great things. I wouldn't want to see anyone forever shunned for one mistake.

I wouldn't write him off, but due to the two big factors, I wouldn't use my top pick on him either.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Interesting conversations but facts are that the Cowboys have not completed a draft board. They have not made a list of who will be invited to visit. They have not made any signing in free agency much less resigning any of our own.

We do not have a clue where Simmons or Ferguson are going to rank on the Dallas draft board. For all we know they might not even be in the top 60 players on our board making them a pick at 58 not even a remote possibility. Depending on what we do in free agency will greatly contribute to how the board is put together and what the front office and coaching staff see as the most glaring need. And then with Willie McClay, it will be who is the BPA. What if a guy we have ranked in the top 18 falls say to 38, want to bet that Dallas will try and trade up to get him. I'm betting they do and will.

What if Simmons falls to 58 and we have him ranked as one of the top 20 players, injury or not Dallas would take him. Sure we could use the help right now at DT but nothing says we don't get that help in free agency. What if in free agency Dallas signs Earl Thomas FS, Tyler Eifert TE, Adam Humpries WR, and Malcolm Brown DT. Only Earl is going to cost big money. Then what is the most pressing need, those all would be win now guys.

Worried about the cap? We have 46 million under the cap, 11 million in carry over, could easily rework Lee's contract, Martin's contract, and Frederick's contract freeing up another 10 million plus cuts that are going to happen like TWill and others that will probably give another 5 to 10 million. Plenty of room to resign Lawrence, extend Cooper, Zeke and Dak plus sign those free agents.

The issue comes down to this, if Simmons is there at 58 and he is one Dallas' top ranked guys then they will take him. You never go wrong sticking to your board or collecting talent and as much as we fans don't want an injured player, no one should be surprised if a guy like Jeffery Simmons DT or Bryce Love RB end up on our roster for 2019. Like it or not.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why is Simmons pummeling a woman not only he towers over but so does the other female attacker?

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Taking 2nd rounders that have to sit for the year like Jaylon are a waste at this point. This team needs to win NOW. We have a young team that needs to win NOW. Pushing this stuff into the future any longer just makes Zeke and the OL a year older. The time is NOW, we need an impact player to heavily contribute this year!

Says a very impatient fan that can't appreciate the fact that we just had a coaching shakeup (which I'll add Garrett should have been in the mix of the shake up as well but I digress). I'd be just as happy getting to the superbowl let alone win it... If we can just get to the superbowl, it might spark a fire that says we can be the team that we were in the 90's. We have already broke the one and done streak that we were on for years by winning the wildcard game...

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Thanks for the chuckles guys.....

Its the return of the Offseason Game! The game were players create a hypothetical premise and engage in hypothetical arguments for no fun and imaginary prizes! Winners will receive a three day, two night stay at the Superiority Complex; where they'll be able to bask in the glow of their new found genius and smugly believe somebody else gives a damn.

Whether they win or lose, all contestants will receive a free helping of actual hard feelings, which they can carry with them for months to come.

Congratulations!

rambo2

Reaction score
There is a video of Simmons repeatedly punching a woman on the ground. He was not invited to the combine because of it. So not only is there the ACL issue, but there is a very serious character issue. No way would I use my 2nd round pick on this guy. With the Cowboys not having a 1st rounder they can’t afford to risk the 2nd rounder on a guy with so much baggage.

It worked out very well for Kansas City when they drafted T. Hill who beat up a woman in his younger days.

rambo2

Reaction score
If he were to fall to the 3rd round or later I would have a different view of the risk. It’s much easier to gamble the deeper you are in the draft. I’ll bet he gets taken in the 2nd round though.
There is no way that he makes it to 58. He was a top 10 pick.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There is a video of Simmons repeatedly punching a woman on the ground. He was not invited to the combine because of it. So not only is there the ACL issue, but there is a very serious character issue. No way would I use my 2nd round pick on this guy. With the Cowboys not having a 1st rounder they can’t afford to risk the 2nd rounder on a guy with so much baggage.
****^^^THAT^^^***** that's why I pass,period.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It worked out very well for Kansas City when they drafted T. Hill who beat up a woman in his younger days.
I’m not saying it can’t work out well, I’m saying it is a red flag that would go into an evaluation of a player. For me, that incident, combined width the ACL injury, combined with the fact that our 2nd round pick will be our first and most important pick in the draft, makes him too risky.