News: DC: Mick Shots: Where Do They Go From Here

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mick Shots: Where Do They Go From Here

hnannm73ydh5lsx8ufew

FRISCO, Texas – And now comes time for the Cowboys to hold their breath.

The official offseason comes to a close after Thursday, save what head coach Mike McCarthy is calling a week's worth of "Rookie School," and for those guys still rehabbing from surgery or for those still after a little break conscious of their conditioning before the start of training camp, where he says, "I'm planning for Oxnard."

"It's really the five-week period for each individual to get themselves ready," McCarthy maintains, eschewing vacation. "The conditioning component to me is always the biggest challenge in training camp, especially because of late because we have different restrictions and it's a bigger time away from your team than years ago.

But for now, we all got two days full of minicamp practices, certainly more than we and McCarthy got last offseason for COVID protocol reasons, all hopefully providing enough shots to hold us over for a few weeks.

• Scramble Plays: McCarthy instituted a drill into practice for a variety of reasons, but not particularly to continue Dak Prescott's rehab from his season-ending surgery. It's called "scramble drill," where a play is called and then after the quarterback drops back, he acts as if he's under pressure and begins to scramble, which causes the receivers to start scrambling around to get open. Great idea since so many called plays in the NFL break down. And, not that it is an intended consequence, this causes Dak to move around with no premeditated steps, closer to what will actually take place in a game and a stretch away from his regular rehab drills.
  • Britt The Man: Maybe this is a question that's needed to be asked a long time ago. But Wednesday McCarthy was asked about the job done by Cowboys associate trainer Britt Brown, their director of rehabilitation, the guy who spends hours on end with the guys either rehabbing after surgeries or from injuries. Britt, in his 25th year with the Cowboys, basically has been an added appendage to Dak Prescott this offseason while he has been recovering from his ankle surgery, and spends most days during this offseason also working rehab drills with the likes of La'el Collins, Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Trysten Hill and others. And when I say working, I mean working. Guys will tell you rehabbing with Britt is harder than being healthy and going through practice. Here is McCarthy's fist bump: "I'll say this about Britt. He is great at what he does. If you watch him every day, he has an old-school discipline to him, but the connection he has with the players in our locker room is unique. We all have great trust in Britt and the whole training staff in the way they get these players what they need . . . I've been very impressed with Britt since I got here, we definitely have our guys working with the right guy."
  • No Cap & Gown: There seemed to be this growing perception that since CeeDee Lamb's likely bigger offensive role in his second season, the Cowboys won't either risk or tire him out returning punts.

Read Full Story

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More god stuff about Johnny Dixson. I posted that in another thread. Maybe he pushes for a roster spot. Seems like a lot of depth at WR, though we always get a few WR standouts in TC. Only to come up short to make the team. But if we can get a few of these guys on the PS, it would still be pretty good. Dixson, Paker, Vasher, but one could push Brown or Wilson off the roster.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Mick Shots: Where Do They Go From Here

hnannm73ydh5lsx8ufew

FRISCO, Texas – And now comes time for the Cowboys to hold their breath.

The official offseason comes to a close after Thursday, save what head coach Mike McCarthy is calling a week's worth of "Rookie School," and for those guys still rehabbing from surgery or for those still after a little break conscious of their conditioning before the start of training camp, where he says, "I'm planning for Oxnard."

"It's really the five-week period for each individual to get themselves ready," McCarthy maintains, eschewing vacation. "The conditioning component to me is always the biggest challenge in training camp, especially because of late because we have different restrictions and it's a bigger time away from your team than years ago.

But for now, we all got two days full of minicamp practices, certainly more than we and McCarthy got last offseason for COVID protocol reasons, all hopefully providing enough shots to hold us over for a few weeks.

• Scramble Plays: McCarthy instituted a drill into practice for a variety of reasons, but not particularly to continue Dak Prescott's rehab from his season-ending surgery. It's called "scramble drill," where a play is called and then after the quarterback drops back, he acts as if he's under pressure and begins to scramble, which causes the receivers to start scrambling around to get open. Great idea since so many called plays in the NFL break down. And, not that it is an intended consequence, this causes Dak to move around with no premeditated steps, closer to what will actually take place in a game and a stretch away from his regular rehab drills.
  • Britt The Man: Maybe this is a question that's needed to be asked a long time ago. But Wednesday McCarthy was asked about the job done by Cowboys associate trainer Britt Brown, their director of rehabilitation, the guy who spends hours on end with the guys either rehabbing after surgeries or from injuries. Britt, in his 25th year with the Cowboys, basically has been an added appendage to Dak Prescott this offseason while he has been recovering from his ankle surgery, and spends most days during this offseason also working rehab drills with the likes of La'el Collins, Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Trysten Hill and others. And when I say working, I mean working. Guys will tell you rehabbing with Britt is harder than being healthy and going through practice. Here is McCarthy's fist bump: "I'll say this about Britt. He is great at what he does. If you watch him every day, he has an old-school discipline to him, but the connection he has with the players in our locker room is unique. We all have great trust in Britt and the whole training staff in the way they get these players what they need . . . I've been very impressed with Britt since I got here, we definitely have our guys working with the right guy."
  • No Cap & Gown: There seemed to be this growing perception that since CeeDee Lamb's likely bigger offensive role in his second season, the Cowboys won't either risk or tire him out returning punts.

Read Full Story
Super Bowl?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who's going to make the obligitory post? Don't make me do it..