News: DC: Spagnola: Beware Change For Change's Sake

Sydla

Reaction score
Change for the sake of change... I'm all for it at this point

And in reality, it's not really change for the sake of change as if we haven't given Garrett enough time. It's been 8 years. We now have a pretty extensive resume on our head coach - his successes, his failures, his strengths, his weaknesses............ the argument that Cowboys fans want Garrett out based on whims is a steaming pile of you know what.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is BS. Most fans have very specifically pointed this out - that yes, the next coach could be worse. But the reality is this team has proven in 8 years that they've likely reached the ceiling with this head coach.

Some are happy with that status and banking on the "luck" factor, hence why they stick with Garrett. Others are simply willing to take the chance on a new coach because they believe the franchise is stuck.
that is BS..and… we are at an Impasse..

we or they or he has every right to look at the other possibility's that change could make this team worse not better.. See Chip Kelley, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino thats just from college and many more retreads or new HCs that fail..ive seen teams that have had 10 new HCs in 15 years and they still suck..just have to see it from both sides NOT ONE..same goes for 1st round lock QBs that weren't... some of you want to see one side only , some of us lie to weigh the possibility's of both sides..

Ive wanted Garett gone since 2015 but doesnt mean I think we are instantly better by replacing him..

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
well according to jerry and Stephen after the end of the season they have to get better and not regress if they don't make it farther than on playoff win or don't the make the playoffs garrett is gone regardless of what some fans and mickey thinks

Sydla

Reaction score
that is BS..and… we are at an Impasse..

we or they or he has every right to look at the other possibility's that change could make this team worse not better.. See Chip Kelley, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino thats just from college and many more retreads or new HCs that fail..ive seen teams that have had 10 new HCs in 15 years and they still suck..just have to see it from both sides NOT ONE..same goes for 1st round lock QBs that weren't... some of you want to see one side only , some of us lie to weigh the possibility's of both sides..

Ive wanted Garett gone since 2015 but doesnt mean I think we are instantly better by replacing him..

No, you are just spitting false statements. Many fans who want change have openly admitted the next coach could be a bad choice (I mean look at who is doing the hiring - Jerry hasn't hired a good coach for 2 decades). For you to suggest that those who want Garrett out don't take that into account is a false statement. It just is.

No one has ever stated that the next coach would be guaranteed to be better. No one.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL? You think he shredded the "narrative"?

He made terrible points. He starts his verbal vomit by literally suggesting Cowboys fans are being too impatient despite the fact this franchise is heading into year 9 with the same head coach. From there is just got worse.

My favorite was when he pointed out we have 3 more regular season wins in 3 seasons than the Eagles. You know the team that had a first time head coach, who won a SB in year 2, and went as far as we did in the playoffs this year. But yeah, he's right, those 3 more regular season wins are so much more impressive.

Or how he was Coach of the Year. I'd like to hear Spags' insights into what he thinks of Marvin Lewis, Mike Smith and Lovie Smith as HCs.

What did he say wrong in the article? Did everything in the article happen? Yeah the eagles won. Which was an exception. Were they better than the Cowboys in 2018? Let's see where they end up with the broken qb....lol

Sydla

Reaction score
What did he say wrong in the article? Did everything in the article happen? Yeah the eagles won. Which was an exception. Were they better than the Cowboys in 2018? Let's see where they end up with the broken qb....lol

What did he say wrong? LOL.

For starters, he called the Cowboys fans impatient. You think 8 years of no playoff success and asking for change is impatient? That was in the first few lines of his article.

From there one could tell it was just going to be paragraphs of tripe, misplaced priorities, twisted logic, etc.

Dre11

Reaction score
What did he say wrong? LOL.

For starters, he called the Cowboys fans impatient. You think 8 years of no playoff success and asking for change is impatient? That was in the first few lines of his article.

From there one could tell it was just going to be paragraphs of tripe, misplaced priorities, twisted logic, etc.

Is he wrong?

Dre11

Reaction score
Hes correct those hungry and adamant about change the HC, get rid of the QB etc etc Dont look at the possibility it could get worse, stay the same and less a shot it gets better..a new HC/QB regardless of their name or history guarantees nothing..

as much as we all want a NFCG and trip the the SB, changing things doesnt guarantee that, its not like we have been bottom dwellers , as matter of fact we have been the last 5-10 regular seasons been top 5 in wins , and Dak has been 2nd to only Brady in wins, I know I know its not all him it team thing but we have been showing some signs of improvement with this new squad which gets reset for 2016 to now, not putting all this at the feet of the past coaches and QBs..yes id like to see Garett go but Mickey has point and hes not homer for saying so..its facts its the truth..

I hate to say it, but this has become so comical, that in the back of my mind I would love to see a change just to see these folks responses at a couple of 5-10,6-10, or 7-9 seasons like the past..lol

Sydla

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this has become so comical, that in the back of my mind I would love to see a change just to see these folks responses at a couple of 5-10,6-10, or 7-9 seasons like the past..lol

Their responses would be the same as you see now. That our head coach isn't good enough. That Jerry Jones replaced an average coach with a bad one.

There is likely never going to be a situation where fans who think Garrett isn't good enough to lead this team to a SB are going to wish we had Garrett back. But LOL at thinking that would be the case.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a fan of Mickey’s writing shoe at all, but I love the disdain he has for the most annoying of our fans, and it’s funny to watch them repay that after an article like this.

He’s right though. He made some clumsy points, but the overall sentiment is right. I’m not sure what the bar is for Garrett this season, if we could end up doing a lot worse after making a move if we make a change. There are a lot of ideas for upgrades floating around out there that would be significant downgrades. If we make a move, we need to be sure we’re getting a better coach. The one we’ve got is actually pretty good.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes, he's wrong. As I said, for example, claiming Cowboys fans are being impatient asking for a new HC after waiting 8 years to attain anything is wrong. I can't be any clearer.

Lol...that's not wrong

Dre11

Reaction score
Their responses would be the same as you see now. That our head coach isn't good enough. That Jerry Jones replaced an average coach with a bad one.

There is likely never going to be a situation where fans who think Garrett isn't good enough to lead this team to a SB are going to wish we had Garrett back. But LOL at thinking that would be the case.

Lol...when you're going through constant down years, you would...lol especially you, as much crying you do....lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol...when you're going through constant down years, you would...lol especially you, as much crying you do....lol

Now you are just being foolish.

There would never be a situation where I would want Jason Garrett back. If the next coach sucked, I'd just want them to go out and find a different coach, not bring Garrett back.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I can't tell if Spagnola is just an idiot or it's in his contract that he gets a bonus the more he pushes ridiculous pro-Cowboys narratives.

- "Live in a world of instant gratification, our microwave society where we don't want to wait for nothing........."

It's been 8 full years with Garrett, you twit. 2 playoff wins. Eight years. All this franchise's fans have been doing is waiting. Whether that be 8 years with Garrett with the franchise no closer to the SB than they were with Phillips, or the fact we have 4 playoff wins in 23 years since our last SB run.

- "Just pop with deal in the toaster, wait but a couple of minutes, and breakfast tasting like cardboard became yours."

This is a terrible analogy but also stupid. His point seems to be that fans are impatient and things like winning takes time. Really? Eagles won a SB in Year 2 of Pederson's run after the disaster that was Chip Kelly. Rams made the SB in Year 2 of McVay's run after Fisher had run the franchise aground. Stop, Spags. Please stop.

- "That the Cowboys haven't won at least two playoff games in a season since 1995 seems to land at Garrett's feet, the likes of Switzer, CAmpo, Parcells and Phillips ducking the slingshots."

Well, for starters, Switzer did win multiple playoff games in 1995, so it was dumb to include his name. Secondly, Spags undermines his own argument here. He seemingly wants to make sure we blame Campo and Parcells and Phillips for our run but Garrett has advanced the franchise no further than these guys have. A year before Garrett took over from Phillips, they won a playoff game. In 8 years, that's as far as Garrett has gotten. So no, Garrett isn't taking all the arrows. He just happens to be the next coach who hasn't done much.

- "Nevermind Garrett was the NFL's 2016 Coach of the Year"

Lovie Smith, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis were also Coaches of the Year. You want any of them, Spags?

His argument is basically the same we get from the pro-Garrett supporters here - regular season wins carry more weight than playoff success, so the Cowboys 32 wins over 3 years is more impressive than say the Eagles 29 wins, despite the fact the Eagles have a SB win in that time frame and this year went as far as we did in the playoffs. Let's also point out that in that dumb comparison, he's comparing a coach in his 6-7-8 years to a coach that is a first time head coach in Philly and just finished his 3rd year as a HC. This type of logic and analysis is breathtakingly funny.

And his examples of coaches that shouldn't have been moved on from is idiotic. In every one of his examples, the team was either flatlining or trending down. The fact the franchises did worse after firing those guys speaks to the fact they just hired bad coaches. In other words, the logic that the Lions shouldn't have moved on from Caldwell because the next coach might now be worse is some of the dumbest logic out there. It says nothing about the quality of Caldwell. It only speaks of the quality of the guy they hired next.

His logic is basically don't try to get better because hey, it might get worse. That's a loser's mentality. Someone who is comfortable with mediocrity and doesn't aspire to be great.

Spags is full of it!

I remember him arguing against starting a young Romo over Bledsoe because Romo was unproven and might not improve our record even though Bledsoe was obviously not the answer.
Hey, Micky if it's not working then you have to try something else!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Football is for entertainment.

At the very least it would be entertaining to try something different instead of another boring year of Jason Garrett.

After a decade of no playoff success I think saying it would be change for change sake is silly.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
the # 1 homer is out full tilt, everything is perfect at the ranch, typical MS suck up to JJ.
In Mickey's mind, him and his close buddy Jerry are swimming in Super Bowl trophies like Scrooge McDuck.

giphy.gif

So much winning.