News: DC: Spagnola: Beware Change For Change's Sake

blueblood70

Reaction score
So that brings to mind two questions: (And I'm not belittling your opinion, just asking honest questions, so if you're going to get all mad/defensive about them then don't bother commenting, if you even want to)

1. What do you want for the Cowboys, as an assumed fan of the team? Super Bowl wins? Conference title wins? Get to the conference title game? Winning seasons?

2. If SB titles are the goal, as it is for me, then if Garrett shouldn't be replaced at this time, how long do you wait before you say it's time for him to go? 9 more years, 5 more, consecutive losing seasons, going 2-14 this year, or 8-8?

I'm not of the opinion that Garrett "sucks" or is "the worst coach in the league" or "clueless". To me he's average at best, if you pin me down to a more definitive answer, I'd have to say below average. Nine years (10 I guess now, if you include this year) is long enough to at least get to the NFC championship game, if he can't do that this year then there's NO justification in my mind to keep him, and precious little to keep him even if he gets to that game and loses...
ok so how long before we realize the new coach was a mistake,

9 years, 5 years, consecutive losing seasons, going 2-14 this year, or 8-8? then we switch again and then again.. the argument Mick was making is this could be the reality..change isn't always guarantee to get better and we all realize the fans are restless for another step but how long will that take the new HC? look Scotts gone , most of the staff fired before 2018 and KR was hired, Garett and Marinelli are the last 2 standing and time is short for both, not extending Garett is step forward so lets just sit back watch football in its very long off season and very short season and stop trying to be internet Gms..The FO is mulling all this over and know much more then us..

Garetts on the clock, lets hope he gets us to a NFCCG and not have fans once again as they did last year and is hope for failure just to see him go, that was Micks point and some of our points here..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
ok so how long before we realize the new coach was a mistake,

6-8 years, he has to make it to the NFC championship game, or at least win a playoff game 2-3 years in a row.

That gets the team to contender status, you can't win SBs without being a contender...

Dre11

Reaction score
MS has always taken the company line, why, because his pay check depends on it. The critical articles are few and far between. Hack MS is the king of the Cowboys hacks.

Him working for the organization means nothing, that's a stupid take, others work for the for the organization too and they criticized, you call it company line because as I said earlier, it's not what you want to hear or support your narrative, nothing he said was wrong

Brax

Reaction score
Him working for the organization means nothing, that's a stupid take, others work for the for the organization too and they criticized, you call it company line because as I said earlier, it's not what you want to hear or support your narrative, nothing he said was wrong
Now its others who are critical,(But not very),when was the last MS article he was critical of JJ or JG. He's like JG not rocking the boat. Yes Mr. Jones what ever you say.

cern

Reaction score
when a homer has nothing substantive to write about,, he resorts to writing about the past which we already know. as to why he hasn't heard from the front office, could be Stephen doesn't feel the need to share his ideas with spags.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change for change's sake can be beneficial and is seldom harmful. It is the opposite that drags us down and causes us to accept this is just the way things are. We need to examine everything in our lives, our businesses and our country as a possibility as change for the better.

In the context he is using fits those that feel anyone other than Garrett would be an improvement and I do not agree with that. Could other HC's do a better job? Absolutely, but what makes anyone here think that would happen? Even if a HC has done well somewhere else doesn't mean he would here. Parcells had his worst run in Dallas. But I do desire change.

Change is perceived as forward motion but it is often more slight of hand that something better is coming because change has occurred. The best is "under new management" which would be readily received here as good change because we are aware of what is. But only the people that experienced the old management would have an educated opinion with a business displaying that sign.

Change is a boost because it's new. Change from Campo to Parcells, immediate boost but then a level out but the record and team were better. Change from Parcells to Phillips, immediate boost and a fall off that cost him his job. Change from Phillips to Garrett and an immediate boost.

We want something different. We're tired of the 8-8 world and treading water. But change may not be better but at least we won't be stuck in a rut with the mysterious "process" that Garrett took from Saban who took it from Belichick. Because Belichick understands, and so does Saban, change keeps everything at it's best level. Change keeps everyone edgy and on their game because we fear the unknown of change. Change makes the underachievers nervous and that's why we see teams perform better, in the short term. The "process" is constant change. But to Garrett, it's is just a buzz word he borrowed. Belichick and Saban live in the world of change known as their "process".

The fact is we need change because we've grown tired of the same ole same ole and too many of us have to sell ourselves that it will get better on it's own but change flies in the face of that. And the Joneses might be getting wise to the fact that while Garrett isn't bad, why not try to make a change for the better?

I am still skeptical about who they'd bring in because after all, they are who we think they are, but I am tired of talking about Garrett. I want to discuss someone different, that was the best thing about Romo retiring. Damn I was tired of discussing him. Romo and then Garrett are like Groundhog Day. Same with Booger but we're stuck with that one.

Dre11

Reaction score
Now its others who are critical,(But not very),when was the last MS article he was critical of JJ or JG. He's like JG not rocking the boat. Yes Mr. Jones what ever you say.

As I said you haven't paid attention, Broaddus and himself have criticized the front office for the handling of the receiver position early and the OL situation. Follow your team.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
As I said you haven't paid attention, Broaddus and himself have criticized the front office for the handling of the receiver position early and the OL situation. Follow your team.
I can't speak for anybody else, nor do I say much about people making sport's copy, but I just don't bother to listen, or read any of it.
No sport's radio foe me, it's music.
I get enough from this site to fill 75 newspapers prior to the millennium.

Shoot, remember when all we had was the fish rags?

Dre11

Reaction score
I can't speak for anybody else, nor do I say much about people making sport's copy, but I just don't bother to listen, or read any of it.
No sport's radio foe me, it's music.
I get enough from this site to fill 75 newspapers prior to the millennium.

Shoot, remember when all we had was the fish rags?

Lol

birdwells1

Reaction score
Remove Mickey's name and it's still a poor article.

For one, it starts by suggesting Cowboys fans are being impatient with a coach heading into Year 9 with two playoff wins on his entire resume. That's an idiotic argument to try to make right out of the shoot. From that point on, you knew exactly where the author was going to go with this article.

The author points out that it's unfair to blame Garrett for the run we are on and that guys like Parcells and Campo and Phillips apparently are shielded from criticism. But Garrett has not accomplished anything more than those guys have. A year before Garrett took over, Phillips had the Cowboys winning a playoff game. So if the author wants to make sure that Campo and Parcells and Phillips get their fair share of criticism for the two decades of futility, how in the world should Garrett then be somehow rewarded for not being much better than those guys? But that's essentially what the author wants.............. for people to see Garrett as being better than those guys and not worthy of the criticism. It's bizarre.

Then the author goes into the debate over regular season wins and where the Cowboys rate after the three years, of course, again neglecting the lack of any real postseason success. He brings up examples of organizations that made a coaching change like the Lions and Cardinals and how the teams played worse after a change. But what he fails to note is that no one in Detroit, for example, is screaming to bring back Caldwell or lamenting that they should have never fired him. Most teams that fire a middling coach and bring in one who does worse, simply acknowledge the truth - they got rid of a middling coach and hired a bad one and probably need a new one. I suspect there won't be very many fans in Cincinnati screaming to bring back Marvin Lewis if the new staff stinks. They'll acknowledge the reality of their situation - they had a middling coach who accomplished little in over a decade and a half and their ownership made a cruddy hire to replace him. Mickey, like some fans here, seem to think that if you get rid of an average coach and then hire a bad one, that means the decision to fire the average coach was wrong. No, all it says is that you hired a bad coach to replace him. That's it.

The author goes on to make the silly argument of "he's only had one losing season" but that's a disingenuous argument because 8-8 isn't a winning record either. And Garrett spit out three of them in his career. But given the direction the author was taking the argument, it's not surprising that he wants to chalk up 8-8 records as apparently some level of success.

Your last paragraph is, respectively, pure poppycock and, frankly, insulting to some Cowboys fans who have laid out a very well constructed argument as to why a change needed to be made at HC that has nothing to do with how he looks clapping. There is no "maybe many" that want him out because of his clapping. The "many" have laid out pretty fair reasons as to why a change needs to be made that isn't just based on whims and how Garrett looks on the sideline during the season.

Outstanding post, the best I've read in years.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Funny he brings up Wade in Buffalo and the same could be said here. Good things the Eagles and Rams and some of these other teams didn't just stick it out and wait for the blind squirrel to find its nut.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I find it shocking that comments are turned off on his crappy articles...:laugh:...NOT!

on top of being a gutless, brown-nosing sycophant, he's a wuss that can't stand up to any criticism, thus why you can't comment on his articles and he will block you on Twitter if you criticize his sorry logic

you'd think the constant aroma of Jeri's backside would grow old but he's apparently gone nose blind in addition to being brain dead

Doomsay

Reaction score
Yet he's criticized Jerry and the front office consistently over their insistence of playing wr by committee, and the OLine situation.
You don't like it because it doesn't line up with your narrative, what's funny is the people who spend the most time at the star or around the team, you'll criticize, but hang on to every word of the hacks who speculate,sight sources, or people that just throw s against the wall , hoping it sticks.
A Mickey supporter, what a tell.

Blake

Reaction score
If ANYONE would know about having a loser mentality it would be you.

When's the last time you were with a member of the opposite sex? Be honest now.

You're hardly one to be calling other's losers.