News: DC: Star Evaluation: Important Offseason For Schultz

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Reality

Reality Staff Member

21,173 Messages
    34,985 Likes Received
    Star Evaluation: Important Offseason For Schultz

[​IMG]

In the coming weeks, DallasCowboys.com will feature players who are currently under contract for next season, analyzing their past season and their future prospects. Today, we continue the series with tight end Dalton Schultz.

Read Full Story

Tangle_Foot likes this.
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,727 Messages
    9,453 Likes Received
    Seemed like less than a JAG to me. He's a blocking TE who had trouble blocking in the NFL.

beware_d-ware likes this.
  3. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

3,868 Messages
    3,939 Likes Received
    I agree with Bryan if you watch Shultz college tape he was open a lot, but the QB didn't throw his way. Shultz had good routes, could shut it down quick, his feet are good.

Give this guy time grow and he'll be ok...most fans shxt on a player if he's not an instant sensation. At least, give a guy 3 years.

4. GenoT

GenoT Well-Known Member

4,223 Messages
    7,075 Likes Received
    :facepalm:

Schultz was a rookie TE, who was in and out of the rotation, and who was being thrown to by a QB (Dak) who himself played @3 series total in the preseason and never threw a game-pass to third-stringer Schultz until the regular season.

Maybe give him another season before passing judgement?

Rainy, Seth5545, Tangle_Foot and 5 others like this.
  5. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

17,889 Messages
    30,148 Likes Received
    I agree, give him time but in the meantime, if they don't keep Beasley, they need a consistent TE. Jarwin's starring moment came with half their secondary, and the best DB, out.

Can they take this platoon of mid level TE's into the season and have success? Depends on whether they have a slot guy and how they use him.

6. cern

cern Well-Known Member

8,383 Messages
    11,469 Likes Received
    difficult to evaluate a player when he's been poorly coached. te's coach was better last year than what we had in previous years. lal helped a lot. hopefully moore will eclipse the lousy linehan. what we did see towards seasons end was a far better use of our te's.

Techsass, Mobinvans and Mr_437 like this.
  7. bayeslife

bayeslife 187beatdown

8,799 Messages
    7,318 Likes Received
    He’s very much like Connor Williams. Needs a full offseason in the weight room

8. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Well-Known Member

1,497 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Whatever happened to letting a player develop? He comes from Stanford and has that going for him obviously he is smart and can catch the ball and run routes. Needs to bulk up and learn film study and have a oc who gives him a chance.

Tangle_Foot likes this.
  9. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,727 Messages
    9,453 Likes Received
    He's a low ceiling guy.

buybuydandavis likes this.
  10. Garrettop

Garrettop Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    1,914 Likes Received
    The failed Rico experiment shows that "ceilings" are somewhat overrated on this board.

11. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

11,455 Messages
    16,222 Likes Received
    Agreed.

I think he’s a 46-man roster caliber type player but I wouldn’t allow his anticipated development keep me from drafting a more dynamic talent at the position.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  12. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

14,267 Messages
    11,605 Likes Received
    He was a rookie who learned and got better as the year went on, and earned more and more opportunities down the stretch. He won’t be a star, but there is plenty of reason to be optimistic about his chance to be a solid, contributing #2 guy.

Tangle_Foot likes this.
  13. Pants

Pants Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    6,241 Likes Received
    like others that aren't already stars (see cooper @ WR), I believe his development is directly related to the new OC and how he uses Schultz....I think he has upside based on seeing him in college, but lop him into the "wait and see" category based on OC Moore

14. rnr_honeybadger

rnr_honeybadger Well-Known Member

2,835 Messages
    3,381 Likes Received
    A lot of what the Cowboys suffer from is being way behind the rest of the NFL in terms of scheme. We run a rather outdated scheme and couple that with a head coach who thinks that every game we are going to line up and beat our way to a win. That's great from him because such a scheme requires very minimal work from him but isn't always the case given the modern NFL

CalPolyTechnique likes this.
  15. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

11,756 Messages
    14,168 Likes Received
    He was 244lb at the combine IIRC.
    A tad light for an inline tight end for the NFL.

Hoping that we read that he gained some muscle/weight in the offseason and is around 255-260. Should help with his blocking. He was a good blocker at Stanford, who runs a pro offense, so I'm willing to give him some time to gain some strength to have a better chance against NFL DEs. Maybe he becomes a dependable #2, or better. I do like that he came from Stanford, who can produce NFL tight ends. Won't be the Travis Kelce type TE, but as long as he can block well and find an open spot I can't be upset over a day 3 pick developing into that.

16. Tangle_Foot

Tangle_Foot Well-Known Member

3,420 Messages
    12,984 Likes Received
    The guy went from being inactive early in the season to playing well at the end of it. "Das ist wunderbar" I'm looking forward to the second year jump.

Techsass likes this.
  17. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

2,381 Messages
    892 Likes Received
    He was a 4th round pick and produced at times last season when Swaim went out. No he's not Travis Kelce or Gronk. He would've been a first round pick if he was. But later in the season he started to pass the eye test of OK this guy can play. He's definitely an NFL tight end, will he ever be a legit starter, maybe or maybe not. But his ceiling is pretty solid for 4th round pick TE coming off of his rookie season.

18. Batman1980

Batman1980 Well-Known Member

5,700 Messages
    8,470 Likes Received
    I still remember the outcome of playing Russian roulette at WR last year. The only question becomes how many resources do you want to pour into TE when we run the ball at a top 5 clip?

charron likes this.
  19. charron

charron Well-Known Member

4,286 Messages
    4,652 Likes Received
    It's an important off season for everybody. Either step up or get out of town.

Techsass likes this.
  20. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    How good are his hands?