News: DC: Star Evaluation: Will Rico Gathers' Role Grow?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Grow?

He shouldn't even be on the team.

Hopefully his rap career takes off for him.

Cowboys took a flyer on him and that's ok. It's good to do that once in a while. But it's time to move on.

People love to over react.

One group claimed he would be great.

Now you're claiming he shouldn't even be on the 90 man roster.

In reality, he contributed in 2018.

He was the only power-blocking TE on the roster. The others were wall-off blockers. Fans just didn't see him catching passes and judge based on that.

It was the 1st season that he played in regular season games.

Considering that he didn't play college football, this was basically his rookie season with his his practice squad and IR seasons as his replacement for college football.

He is unlikely to turn into Superman like some fans predicted but he IS likely to be on an NFL team for several more years.

Reaction score

He was the only power-blocking TE on the roster. The others were wall-off blockers. Fans just didn't see him catching passes and judge based on that.

Considering that he didn't play college football, this was basically his rookie season with his his practice squad and IR seasons as his replacement for college football.

He is unlikely to turn into Superman like some fans predicted but he IS likely to be on an NFL team for several more years.
Nice try.

Again, I have no trouble with 6th round flyers once in a while. I'm not criticizing the Cowboys for taking him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you want to use him as camp fodder, go for it. He's no more than that. Half the time he doesn't know where to line up. The rest of the time he doesn't know who to block.

Draft somebody who actually played college ball in the 3rd or 4th round to go along with Jarwin and Schultz. It was nice to see some signs of life from these guys towards the end of last year. Or sign a guy in free agency.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In fairness, when he said he didn't think Rico should be on the team, he likely meant the the 53 man roster they go into the season with and not the 90 man roster they go into training camp with.

Reaction score
In fairness, when he said he didn't think Rico should be on the team, he likely meant the the 53 man roster they go into the season with and not the 90 man roster they go into training camp with.
Of course that's what I meant. I didn't think it needed explaining.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice try.

Again, I have no trouble with 6th round flyers once in a while. I'm not criticizing the Cowboys for taking him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you want to use him as camp fodder, go for it. He's no more than that. Half the time he doesn't know where to line up. The rest of the time he doesn't know who to block.

Draft somebody who actually played college ball in the 3rd or 4th round to go along with Jarwin and Schultz. It was nice to see some signs of life from these guys towards the end of last year. Or sign a guy in free agency.

Again, if he was a true rookie in 2018 nobody would complain about him making mistakes.

Developmental players rarely do much the 1st season they get snaps in real games.

Jermey Parnell was also a college basketball player and it was not until his 4th season that he became the full-time swing tackle for the Cowboys.

Parnell ended up getting a 32M contract with another team in 2015 and has been a starter since.

I'm not holding my breath on Rico but he has developed at about the pace that should be expected from a player in his situation. He did improve during the season and did cut down on mistakes.

exciter

Reaction score
Yes. Chances to show he doesn’t belong. Or he does. I watched Jarwin miss a assignment that cost us a TD in a real game. Didn’t stop them from keeping him in the game. Out of necessity I am sure, not like we had a lot to choose from after Swaim goes down.
Right, but does Jarwin learn from his mistakes and seemed to have a much heavier workload!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. Chances to show he doesn’t belong. Or he does. I watched Jarwin miss a assignment that cost us a TD in a real game. Didn’t stop them from keeping him in the game. Out of necessity I am sure, not like we had a lot to choose from after Swaim goes down.

Of course, how coaches feel about a player doesn't shift dramatically with each individual play. Obviously what they see in practice matters, and what they see overall matters. It isn't they love you one minute and hate you with one missed assignment. Opparently the coaches saw more in Jarwin they felt deserved more opportunities.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Well, we have a "GM" that's been training for 30 years, a "HC" been training for 10, both to no avail, so looking at it that way Rico is really just still just getting started in his training.....maybe an extention in the works?

GenoT

Reaction score
Unlike anyone posting here, the coaching staff saw and interacted with Rico every working day during the season; practice, meetings, etc.

No coach is gonna risk their credibility propping a guy who doesn’t show enough during the week to warrant multiple snaps on game day.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Guy had like 6 plays. Comes out a promptly lines up in the wrong spot necessitating a time out. But yeah, more chances to show he doesn't know what he's doing was needed! He was given a chances long after most players showing his ineptness would have been sent packing!

This.

Sure he made plays in preseason...

...when nobody schemes and most players don't know what they are doing.

Truth is, he does not know how to play football.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guy had like 6 plays. Comes out a promptly lines up in the wrong spot necessitating a time out. But yeah, more chances to show he doesn't know what he's doing was needed! He was given a chances long after most players showing his ineptness would have been sent packing!

He played 146 snaps on offense.

The 2018 season is the only season he has played in real games.

Fan over reaction 101:
See a player make 1 bad play and proclaim that player worthless.

See a player make 1 great play and proclaim that player as possibly the greatest ever.