News: DC: Star Evaluation: Will Rico Gathers' Role Grow?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unlikely. Theres 3 te's on the roster that are better and Dallas might draft another te.

Only Jarwin and Schultz. Rico is the third.

I wouldn't count Rico out, but it's looking dark for him. Despite his overwhelming physical advantages for blocking, our love of two TE sets, and Swaim going down, Rico's snaps never went up. He even only had 1 special teams snap until the Tampa game.

I wonder if this story was bs, but I definitely see Tony being able to make more out of Rico than Dak. Rico is not going to be running precise routes and getting separation for Dak.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...-to-become-more-than-a-legend-for-the-cowboys
Nobody saw him practice in public as he spent the year on the practice squad, but the whispers from those who did see him practice talked about him dominating the Cowboys' defense with Tony Romo running the scout team.​

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Again, if he was a true rookie in 2018 nobody would complain about him making mistakes.

On THESE boards? No one would complain about a first year rookie?

C’mon man!

You’re a veteran poster. That’s a rookie speculation.

:p

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Star Evaluation: Will Rico Gathers' Role Grow?

ad1xsu6cvpk3zwr5yvyt

Rico Gathers earned a spot on offense after losing a year of critical development, but what's next for the 25-year-old tight end in 2019?

Read Full Story
This has to be his final camp with the Cowboys if he doesn’t show signs of getting on the field and contributing.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Im ready to move on from this project and give another project a chance

There comes a time when you need to cut your losses..

exciter

Reaction score
He played 146 snaps on offense.

The 2018 season is the only season he has played in real games.

Fan over reaction 101:
See a player make 1 bad play and proclaim that player worthless.

See a player make 1 great play and proclaim that player as possibly the greatest ever.
Like someone else said, he hadn't played football since jr high...way too much of a learning curve for him too handle!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nice try.

Again, I have no trouble with 6th round flyers once in a while. I'm not criticizing the Cowboys for taking him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you want to use him as camp fodder, go for it. He's no more than that. Half the time he doesn't know where to line up. The rest of the time he doesn't know who to block.

Draft somebody who actually played college ball in the 3rd or 4th round to go along with Jarwin and Schultz. It was nice to see some signs of life from these guys towards the end of last year. Or sign a guy in free agency.

Half the time he doesn't know where to line up? That was a meme from his first couple of TC.

Last season, Rico's role was kept simple to the goal line and short yardage. Not only did he not struggle to line up but he blocked well showing the ability to drive and turn OLB and DE.

I hate to say this bbut your take just tells me you should rewatch the games and look for him in those short yardage packages.