RELEASED DE Everson Griffen is being traded to the Lions *Merge*

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Maybe a 5th in 2022, which could still end up being the case in 2021 if conditions are met. Quinn got the Cowboys a 4th after balling out, but Griffen's age and production likely doesn't warrant high enough comp. to get something above a 5th anyway. Plus if the Cowboys signed a free agent in that range it would likely cancel out.

I would take the 5th and turn cartwheels around the room.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah....I’m not upset, I just find it comical how almost every time we lose a player it’s “no big deal or not worth it” and every guy we get is an upgrade. We lost our two best defensive players last year, a top 10-15 corner in the league and our sack leader and most people said “good, he never got any INT’s” and “who cares how many sacks he got, he sucked against the run”.

Of course we replaced Quinn with Griffen who was supposedly a big upgrade. Then heard stories about how great Aldon was and Jerry was a genius and now Gregory. I don’t think anyone expected Diggs to replace Jones his rookie year but I still don’t agree with letting Jones walk over zeke and Jaylon.

We had known good players and rolled the dice on a rookie, a guy who hasn’t played in 5 years, a pot head who couldn’t stay on the field due to his drug use and a 33? year old vet that was a FA for most of the off season for our sack leader and best CB.

Oddly, a lot of people thought these were all great moves by our genius FO. I won’t even go into detail about caving to a RB with two years left on his contract and paying Jaylon instead of paying Dak for a much cheaper rate at the time. I wonder if Jerry feels like he got scammed and has regrets because he should.

Actually, I’m not upset at people for being wrong but I am upset that our FO gets it wrong so often because it hurts the team. Personally, I think we’re screwed for the next 2-3 years due to all their blunders.
I thought the McCoy, Poe, Smith and, eventually, Griffen signings were a step up from the typical FA dumster-diving that has gone on with the Cowboys. More than anything thing else, though, I thought these signings were a reflection of Jones trying to capture lightning in a bottle.

Signing Elliot (still haven't made peace with that decision), Smith and DLaw set us up for a multipoint failure: First, in all three cases, it appeared Jones took pride in signing each to some of the biggest contracts in place for their respective position. Second, Jones reinforced and supported bad behavior by acquiescening to Zeke's "holdout" and, let's not forget DLaw foregoing surgery until the new contract was signed. Third, it reinforced Jones's fascination with "shiney" objects. Finally, it hamstrings Dallas's future cap management

CoachD

Reaction score
A 6th round pick!!! We just ripped off Detroit something fierce thanks guys!

aria

Reaction score
I thought the McCoy, Poe, Smith and, eventually, Griffen signings were a step up from the typical FA dumster-diving that has gone on with the Cowboys. More than anything thing else, though, I thought these signings were a reflection of Jones trying to capture lightning in a bottle.

Signing Elliot (still haven't made peace with that decision), Smith and DLaw set us up for a multipoint failure: First, in all three cases, it appeared Jones took pride in signing each to some of the biggest contracts in place for their respective position. Second, Jones reinforced and supported bad behavior by acquiescening to Zeke's "holdout" and, let's not forget DLaw foregoing surgery until the new contract was signed. Third, it reinforced Jones's fascination with "shiney" objects. Finally, it hamstrings Dallas's future cap management
Unfortunately I supported the Dlaw contract at the time, because unlike other selfish players who held out with 2 years left on their contract which put the team in a bind, Dlaw at least played under the franchise tag for a year without a single complaint.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You know? Considering that we got Griffen as a FA during TC, and flipped him for a 5 or 6 (depending on the conditions), that's a pretty good flip!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Griffen needs a play to pay type contract. Give a human turd like him 3 million guaranteed was a huge mistake. Hard to know though which players are devoid of moral character until it is too late.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike McCarthy praised Everson Griffen but said the trade to Detroit offers up chances for Randy Gregory, Bradlee Anae and Dorance Armstrong. “I don’t really rely on actions or transactions to really send messages,” the coach said. “I’ve had the opportunity to talk to the football team every day. They know clearly how I feel as far as the process of where the team needs to get to and how we’re going to do it. This business is about opportunity and making the best of your opportunity.”

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I wonder how long until Griffen rips the coaching staff/ organization in a interview or tweet lol

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Griffen was successfully blocked by Baker Mayfield so yeah I am happy he is gone. That reporter that Griffen picked a fight with for calling him out deserves an apology cause the reporter was spot on.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is with this organization and the Lions. We strike more deals with that franchise........sign their coaches......load up at WR just like they used to do.....

bewp7

Reaction score
What is with this organization and the Lions. We strike more deals with that franchise........sign their coaches......load up at WR just like they used to do.....

whoever said opposites attract is a liar! cowboys and lions two peas in a pod!

quickccc

Reaction score
Whispering Media Lips are specuiating that not only Griffin may have been one of those "suspected " leading the locker room mutiny

and Griffin likely asked to be traded,.. and of course the team accommodated him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
hmm I bet griffen is glad to get out of here, will be interesting to see how he does in detroit.