DE Jaylon Ferguson pick up steam?

reddyuta

Reaction score
my worry is his amazing bad 3 cone performance,even if he had never run that drill he shouldn't be that bad at it for a DE,also he is a LDE and will not play AT ALL unless Dlaw gets injured.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
my worry is his amazing bad 3 cone performance,even if he had never run that drill he shouldn't be that bad at it for a DE,also he is a LDE and will not play AT ALL unless Dlaw gets injured.

I know that measurables have to be taken into account, but it's hard to ignore him totaling 45 sacks in college, breaking Terrell Suggs' Louisiana Tech sack record. He also finished second nationally in tackles for loss while ranking first in sacks as a senior. I understand it's at a smaller conference school, but the numbers still have to be taken into account.

I am concerned if we drafted him about where we would play them. He's 6-5 and weight 271 at his pro day, so the question for me is whether he could put on another 10-plus pounds and play 3-tech. He's more of a power rusher than a speed rusher, so that might bode well for a move inside where he is quick enough to beat guards and be able to stand up to them powerwise while I don't think he can beat tackles without a better burst.

Here's what an article from his pro day had to say about that:

Although the majority of NFL scouts on hand felt like the tall, lengthy defensive end fits into the 4-3 defensive scheme better, one scout said Ferguson’s ability to play three-down technique or stand up on the edge and get to the quarterback adds value to his draft stock.

“I don’t know if he’s for sure a first-rounder. Depends on scheme, whether you have him rush the outside or project him getting bigger and move him inside,” a scout said. “It depends of if a team runs a 4-3 or 3-4. I think all those things determine where guy gets drafted.

“I think versatility-wise, he does have positives because he’s going to get bigger, stronger, and he can still rush from the outside.”

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know that measurables have to be taken into account, but it's hard to ignore him totaling 45 sacks in college, breaking Terrell Suggs' Louisiana Tech sack record. He also finished second nationally in tackles for loss while ranking first in sacks as a senior. I understand it's at a smaller conference school, but the numbers still have to be taken into account.

I am concerned if we drafted him about where we would play them. He's 6-5 and weight 271 at his pro day, so the question for me is whether he could put on another 10-plus pounds and play 3-tech. He's more of a power rusher than a speed rusher, so that might bode well for a move inside where he is quick enough to beat guards and be able to stand up to them powerwise while I don't think he can beat tackles without a better burst.

Here's what an article from his pro day had to say about that:

Although the majority of NFL scouts on hand felt like the tall, lengthy defensive end fits into the 4-3 defensive scheme better, one scout said Ferguson’s ability to play three-down technique or stand up on the edge and get to the quarterback adds value to his draft stock.

“I don’t know if he’s for sure a first-rounder. Depends on scheme, whether you have him rush the outside or project him getting bigger and move him inside,” a scout said. “It depends of if a team runs a 4-3 or 3-4. I think all those things determine where guy gets drafted.

“I think versatility-wise, he does have positives because he’s going to get bigger, stronger, and he can still rush from the outside.”

Two issues with the 3-cone.

1. He gained 10 to 15 pounds of what has been described as "bad" weight before the combine.

2. In the video of him doing the 3-cone, he didn't appear to have ever done it before.

Gaede

Reaction score
Or the O-linemen he went against weren’t good at their job. Watch those vids again - he’s turrible against the run, and almost comically so because his effort is not there on a ton of them. So he’s either lazy or in poor game shape.

Sure. And that's how he broke Suggs's college sack record. Because he just went up against the worst players in college. While everyone else who couldn't get that many sacks just played the good players.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
hello. Any player at 58 regardless of position will have warts.

Yes. I wasn't trying to say only the DL will. Just that we can't expect players that we take at that spot to not have some question marks.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If this is Marinelli’s doing (pushing) I would ask he be fired immediately.

reddyuta

Reaction score
If this is Marinelli’s doing (pushing) I would ask he be fired immediately.

I have heard Will Mcclay is big on consensus between the coaches and scouts,this is the time that rumors of LVE being a lock surfaced so i wouldnt rule it out but to me a Safety makes a much bigger impact at 58.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I have heard Will Mcclay is big on consensus between the coaches and scouts,this is the time that rumors of LVE being a lock surfaced so i wouldnt rule it out but to me a Safety makes a much bigger impact at 58.

Yes, McClay it is reported also wanted Watt but was overruled.

morasp

Reaction score
The fanspeak composite big board has him ranked 74 overall.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Not sure I really like this. I just think there will be a very good safety available that could be a solid starter for the next decade. I think I’d much rather go in that direction and finally have a good young safety that could likely earn a starting spot as a rookie. I doubt a rookie DE will see many snaps.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Not sure I really like this. I just think there will be a very good safety available that could be a solid starter for the next decade. I think I’d much rather go in that direction and finally have a good young safety that could likely earn a starting spot as a rookie. I doubt a rookie DE will see many snaps.

I agree with you but I suspect any interest in Ferguson might be with an eye towards making a 3 tech out of him.
I am sick of passing on safety every year when it is such an obvious need.

I could live with this.

58 Juan thornhill - S
trade picks 90, 128 and 136 for pick 74.
74 Jaylon Ferguson - 3 Tech
165 Dylan Mack - 1 tech
241 Tony Pollard RB

UDFA's
Derrek Thomas CB
Cole Holcomb LB
Orozco K

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you but I suspect any interest in Ferguson might be with an eye towards making a 3 tech out of him.
I am sick of passing on safety every year when it is such an obvious need.

I could live with this.

58 Juan thornhill - S
trade picks 90, 128 and 136 for pick 74.
74 Jaylon Ferguson - 3 Tech
165 Dylan Mack - 1 tech
241 Tony Pollard RB

UDFA's
Derrek Thomas CB
Cole Holcomb LB
Orozco K

Jaylon Ferguson gained 10 to 15 pounds of "bad weight" according to many reports.

His playing weight was in the 255 to 260 range. That's a long way from NFL 3-tech DT weight.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Jaylon Ferguson gained 10 to 15 pounds of "bad weight" according to many reports.

His playing weight was in the 255 to 260 range. That's a long way from NFL 3-tech DT weight.

That does seem too small for 3 tech. If that is not the plan then I don't get it.
DLAW, Quinn, Gregory, Taco, Crawford, Armstrong. That is 6 DE's and doesn't even factor in Heyder and Covington being able to play DE as well.

I don't understand the interest in DE's at all.