1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Dear fans, the season won't start as you envisioned

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, May 25, 2020.

1. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

22,820 Messages
    39,084 Likes Received
    There are quite a few considerations before a real season can happen.

One is the behavior of people this past weekend sounds the alarm for health officials that social distancing is nothing more than a request that falls on too many deaf ears. The fear of many officials that a reopening would cause a backlash could be realized before these teams even hit their camps.

Can they field healthy teams to even play before no crowd or reduced ones? If this does bounce back, will all of the players be on board with the risk to their families? A lot of these players have small children at home and while Kawasaki seems treatable, some children have not survived that.

Then there's the unknown factor to consider. How many of those have we seen about this virus? We still have them and don't know if there are new ones around the bend. Most of the health officials are predicting a resurgence in the fall but so far this doesn't show any signs of abating.

Dr. Piot, the leading authority in Ebola and AIDS research going back years, got this and he thought it was more like the flu or SARS until he got it. He has new respect for it and it's ability to infect.

I wouldn't bet on football this season and if it does kick off, I would bet less that it continues.

2. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

19,985 Messages
    14,119 Likes Received
    I've read predictions of a second wave peak in November.

3. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

19,985 Messages
    14,119 Likes Received
    We just don't know where we are in the course of the pandemic. We could be at the end or just the end of the beginning. Clearly, there has been a decline in cases and deaths in much of the developed world in the global North, but why? Were lockdowns and social distancing that effective? Is the virus really that seasonal? Or has it hit a wall of pre-existing immunity/lack of susceptibility? We don't know. The experts are divided and so we go forward with much uncertainty. Colleges and universities already seem like they are giving up on the fall semester.

4. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

26,711 Messages
    9,774 Likes Received
    Again,sorry about her hair stand. Maybe the govt. Can help.

5. GimmeTheBall!

26,711 Messages
    9,774 Likes Received
    With 300 players, officials, trainers, TV technicians, security milling around the sidelines and on the field?
    And don't forget, 22 players colliding on every play spewing snot, hardbreathing, blood, sweat and other bodily fluids.
    Fine idea!

Yeah, that can work.

Grenic likes this.
  6. BoysfaninVegas

BoysfaninVegas Well-Known Member

3,407 Messages
    5,331 Likes Received
    Here's some questions for ya. Will 2021 be any different? What happens if there's no vaccine for it and it's still around? Should they cancel the 2021 season as well? At what point does society as a whole step out of the shadows to face something that's beginning to look less serious than originally anticipated?

Ghost12 likes this.
  7. Grenic

Grenic Well-Known Member

244 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    How is 100k dead in a few months less serious? Its much serious then we thought it was going to be.

Beast_from_East likes this.
  8. BoysfaninVegas

3,407 Messages
    5,331 Likes Received
    Even if those numbers are accurate, when should society as a whole come out of the shadows and face it?

9. Grenic

Grenic Well-Known Member

244 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Hopefully they will come up with some kinda of treatment, and I think we are coming out now, just have to be smart about it. The I'm not wearing a mask crap just does not make sense to me. It's something simple that protects others and people all over the world are doing it.

I mean people went to work, in UK with the Germans bombing them, they just changed the way they did things. All we ask Is wear a mask and try to keep a distance.

10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,417 Messages
    24,550 Likes Received
    Probably more than 100K, but point taken.

11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,417 Messages
    24,550 Likes Received
    Situations where folks aren't crowded together will become much more "normal-like" sooner.

But situations were folks are stuffed in a small area like what they are in a stadium... That's going to be a while.

BoysfaninVegas likes this.
  12. BoysfaninVegas

3,407 Messages
    5,331 Likes Received
    I agree. I mentioned on page one that it might not be what we're used to as far as packed stadiums go. However, there are those who don't take the precautions that most of us do. That's a fact and people have to face that sooner or later.

Sometimes I think that a certain portion of society will criticize anyone who goes out in public without a vaccine or precautionary measures that are taken to the extreme.

GimmeTheBall! and MichaelWinicki like this.
  13. BoysfaninVegas

3,407 Messages
    5,331 Likes Received
    I feel that the vast majority of us are being smart about it and taking the necessarily precautions when in public. But I also know that there are those that wont. Everyone will have to face that sooner or later. Some just chose to do it sooner.

GimmeTheBall! and Grenic like this.
  14. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

4,569 Messages
    5,979 Likes Received
    Of course the thought of no football is quite depressing, I just don't see how they're going to go business as usual. packed stadiums etc. I honestly don't think there will be a season!! On the plus side we'll get to see how other sporting effects this situation.

GimmeTheBall! and Grenic like this.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

26,711 Messages
    9,774 Likes Received
    I weep for the future.

Grenic likes this.
  16. GimmeTheBall!

26,711 Messages
    9,774 Likes Received
    Hail, yeah but what happens in August when players are ill?
    Total collapse.

17. GimmeTheBall!

26,711 Messages
    9,774 Likes Received
    :)Easy: NFL and profits
    You seem literate. Why Vegas?;)

18. GimmeTheBall!

26,711 Messages
    9,774 Likes Received
    Some here think and write as if you are the aging blonde who can't wear her swimsuit at the beach. You see life passing you by. You want instant gratification, others be darned.

Let's think as a community, not as petulant girls who feel left out.
    This virus will shut the NFL stands down by the second week, if any.
    Deal with it.
    Don't be dense and foolhardy, mates.

links18 likes this.
  19. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

6,247 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Also have to keep in mind that each team will have like.. 20-30+ players that WILL NOT make the roster. Those guys will be putting themselves at risk.

I think NFLPA might make a demand that those players get some kind of healthcare coverage or bonus pay (for at least 6-months maybe)

"No play, no pay" is what owners will resort to.

But the hardest sell isn't about players putting themselves at risk, it's about players putting family members at risk when they leave the practice facilities and stadiums.

Unless they're asked to isolate from their families for the duration of camp & season, I suspect there are a lot of players that may hesitate to play.

20. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    2,932 Likes Received
    There's a lot of talk about how social distancing and things are a pain or whatever but personally I'm very much down with making some of these things permanent.
    • I like that most people stay out of my personal bubble at the grocery store
    • I like that stores have (mostly) one way shopping aisles right now. Nobody follows the arrows 100% of the time, including me, but for the most part we all do and so it's easier to get around.
    • I like getting to wear a bandana or mask in public, I feel like a video game bandit. It's a fun facial accessory that's officially mainstream
    • I like that someone is disinfecting the shopping carts, self checkouts, etc as they're used. People are gross.
    • I like that stores arent crowded, and I havent once had to wait in line to get into a store. Havent even seen a line since the panic buying ended.
    • Etc
    Lots of positives.

CouchCoach and MichaelWinicki like this.