Defending Barry Switzer: The Eagles Fourth Down Call

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It seems like all Youtube does is get me riled about things that happened 30 years ago. I was watching a video declaring Barry Switzer's fourth down call against the Eagles in 1995 the worst fourth down call of all time.

I don't only think that's wrong. I think Barry made the right call, given the totality of the circumstances. And I always have, from the moment it happened to now.

For those too young to remember, the Cowboys were playing the Philadelphia Eagles in Veterans Stadium pretty late in the season in 1995. It was Barry's second year as head coach after the whirlwind dismissal of JImmy Johnson. Barry started behind the eight ball, had failed to make the Super Bowl in his first year, and Cowboys fans and Dallas media had big questions about whether he had what it takes.

With about 2 minutes left, the score was tied at 17, and the Cowboys had a 4th and 2 (or long 1) at their own 28 or 29. Switzer decided to go for it. The play got stuffed. There was a clock mixup and they got a do-over. The Cowboys did it a second time. The play got stuffed again. The Eagles took over on downs, kicked a field goal, and eventually won the game.

Switzer got trashed for the decision - the infamous Bozo The Coach headline comes to mind. It's obvious that you punt the ball in that situation, right? In most circumstances, yes. But in that particular game, not so much. I think the decision to go for it was more than defensible. I think it was the right call.

You would have to watch the fourth quarter of that game to understand why. The Cowboys defense had gotten steamrolled on the last couple of Eagles possessions. They were exhausted. The Eagles had a strong wind at their backs.

If the Cowboys had punted, I'm convinced this would have happened: The punt into the wind would have gone about 25 yards (at best), the Eagles would have taken over near midfield and proceeded to run it down the throat of the defense. They would have run the clock to near zero, burned all of the Cowboys time outs, and scored a field goal, from about the same distance, to win the game. That was by far the most likely scenario if the Cowboys had punted.

The other option was to hand the ball to your Hall of Fame running back, get the first down, give your defense another set of downs to rest, maybe even run out the clock and try to get a change of direction on the coin flip for overtime. And even if it failed, you would probably get the ball back with a chance to come back (which is what happened: The Cowboys ended the game inside Eagles' territory).

I totally agree with Barry's choice on this play. The defense was spent. The offense is where you had your money players. Taking the risk to control the ball in that specific situation was the right decision. This is always held up as exhibit A of Barry Switzer's incompetence. And I've always thought that he got a raw deal with regard to this call. It didn't work, but it was the right decision.
Can't disagree

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It seems like all Youtube does is get me riled about things that happened 30 years ago. I was watching a video declaring Barry Switzer's fourth down call against the Eagles in 1995 the worst fourth down call of all time.

I don't only think that's wrong. I think Barry made the right call, given the totality of the circumstances. And I always have, from the moment it happened to now.

For those too young to remember, the Cowboys were playing the Philadelphia Eagles in Veterans Stadium pretty late in the season in 1995. It was Barry's second year as head coach after the whirlwind dismissal of JImmy Johnson. Barry started behind the eight ball, had failed to make the Super Bowl in his first year, and Cowboys fans and Dallas media had big questions about whether he had what it takes.

With about 2 minutes left, the score was tied at 17, and the Cowboys had a 4th and 2 (or long 1) at their own 28 or 29. Switzer decided to go for it. The play got stuffed. There was a clock mixup and they got a do-over. The Cowboys did it a second time. The play got stuffed again. The Eagles took over on downs, kicked a field goal, and eventually won the game.

Switzer got trashed for the decision - the infamous Bozo The Coach headline comes to mind. It's obvious that you punt the ball in that situation, right? In most circumstances, yes. But in that particular game, not so much. I think the decision to go for it was more than defensible. I think it was the right call.

You would have to watch the fourth quarter of that game to understand why. The Cowboys defense had gotten steamrolled on the last couple of Eagles possessions. They were exhausted. The Eagles had a strong wind at their backs.

If the Cowboys had punted, I'm convinced this would have happened: The punt into the wind would have gone about 25 yards (at best), the Eagles would have taken over near midfield and proceeded to run it down the throat of the defense. They would have run the clock to near zero, burned all of the Cowboys time outs, and scored a field goal, from about the same distance, to win the game. That was by far the most likely scenario if the Cowboys had punted.

The other option was to hand the ball to your Hall of Fame running back, get the first down, give your defense another set of downs to rest, maybe even run out the clock and try to get a change of direction on the coin flip for overtime. And even if it failed, you would probably get the ball back with a chance to come back (which is what happened: The Cowboys ended the game inside Eagles' territory).

I totally agree with Barry's choice on this play. The defense was spent. The offense is where you had your money players. Taking the risk to control the ball in that specific situation was the right decision. This is always held up as exhibit A of Barry Switzer's incompetence. And I've always thought that he got a raw deal with regard to this call. It didn't work, but it was the right decision.
Who in their right mind would EVER defend hot dog eating Barry Switzer?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was at that game, sitting in the 700 level of the Vet. I had some Cowboys gear on, but fortunately it was so cold that I had my ski jacket and hood over top of anything that was readily identifiable. Drunken denizens were stumbling around with their "**** Dallas" shirts on and there was a lot of violent rage in the air. I remember seeing a couple of Dallas fans accosted. Truly a miserable place. The attitude of the fans wasn't really supportive of their home team, but more of an urge to just get mad at SOMETHING. If it was the hated Cowboys, great. If it was their disappointing Eagles team, well that would work too.

The 4th down call didn't bother me that much. I thought it was ballsy, but hey - a lot of times that's needed. We've certainly seen it work for Andy Reid and others in recent years. It was a crazy reprieve after the bizarre do-over but man that second stop really hurt to watch. After the game I was happy to get out of there.

I was also at the 34-0 Dallas rout in 1998. Much more pleasant. I had scored tickets from a college aquaintance which also included some fancy pregame party in a section of the Vet. There was nice food, drinks - the works. Most fans at that party were cool enough, maybe because I was attending with one of their members. During the game it went south in a hurry for the Birds and by the end there were only a handful of Eagles fans still there. I wouldn't say that it made up for the 4th and 1 game, but it did take some of the sour taste away. I think that was the last time I was at the Vet. Good riddance.
Not sporting your Cowboys gear is smart but don’t insult our intelligence in saying it “was too cold”. Own it.

Mannix

Reaction score
------If the Cowboys had punted, I'm convinced this would have happened: The punt into the wind would have gone about 25 yards (at best), the Eagles would have taken over near midfield and proceeded to run it down the throat of the defense.

Agree 100%.....it was an extremely strong and cold wind.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It was the wrong call more the 2nd time than the 1st time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I remember that game so well. I thought Emmitt could get it done if we only ran the exact same play again. So how can I fault Barry for thinking the same thing? It was the right call. Things still worked out, in the end, that season with our Cowboys beating a Pennsylvania team in the Super Bowl.

Oh BTW, IMO, the '94 team that lost to the 49ers was better than the team the previous 2 seasons that won Super Bowls. They just ran into a buzz saw in the NFC title game.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That was a dumb call against Reggie White, and that defense, in that situation, but give Switzer credit for holding the team together all the way to a Super Bowl victory!

I was at my brother's game when the niners played the Panthers (first 2 seasons played home games in Clemson stadium), they showed that play and stop and the niners fans there was cheering BUT I was steamed and mad as h---.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Very rare a failed play is defended, even when the person complaining wanted the team to do exactly what did. Usually there is a pivot. (e.g. we should have gone for it but everyone knew we were going up the middle so we should have gone outside)

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
When you have the best OL and the best RB in the league, it is not a dumb call to try and gain one foot for the first down. The offense would have gained the one foot needed a high percentage of the time.
They tried it twice! They got stuffed twice! It was a bad call in my opinion.

Everyone in the stadium knows you are running it inside the tackles. Your running back is starting 7 yards behind the LOS against Reggie White and company! It wasn’t surprising at all there was penetration on the 2nd run and Emmitt was stuffed behind the LOS.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Hint, hint!
Most of us don't want to talk about that B.S. Jerry brought in after Jimmy.
So I didn't even read your OP because you had B.S.'s name in the title.

I just call him that B.S. coach. Because I use his initials to describe what he means to me...B.S.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Absolutely not. It was Jimmy's team & Switzer should have won the Superbowl the prior year when he took over & not the 2nd year. He called the same play 3x's on 4th & goal.

I too was at that game. It was total embarrassment for Cowboys fans because of Switzer' stupidity!
I’m not a fan of Switzer’s, but you can’t put all the blame on Switzer losing to the Whiners in the NFC Championship game. The players( Aikman and Irvin included) helped put us in a 21-0 hole against a very good Whiner team.

blueblood70

Reaction score

if that was zeke and not ES it would be ALL zekes fault not Barrys as thats the way CZ fans see it..ES should have got that no matter what i mean no way you stop a highly paid twice held out RB from gaining two yards..uh hmmm..

Emmitt failed twice , if it were zeke its on zeke according to this page..not blocking, not play calling, nope just bad overpaid useless Rb

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
if that was zeke and not ES it would be ALL zekes fault not Barrys as thats the way CZ fans see it..ES should have got that no matter what i mean no way you stop a highly paid twice held out RB from gaining two yards..uh hmmm..

Emmitt failed twice , if it were zeke its on zeke according to this page..not blocking, not play calling, nope just bad overpaid useless Rb

Don't get you know who riled up by calling our current RB name. LOL!

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Maybe if Zeke showed the same dedication to winning that Smith did and didn’t peak as a rookie, people would cut him some slack. Maybe, just maybe, some of it is Zeke’s fault he isn’t as endearing to fans as Emmitt was.

jnday

Reaction score
you always go for the win. admire or not, it cost the game. the NFL games are always close. the schemes are similar. the difference between teams outside of talent is the game day play calling (formation, plays, route combinations) and managing the game during critical times. most games go into the 4th quarter within a score or so, so managing the game during those critical times are key to wins.....you may admire his guts, but it led to a loss.
With the best OL and RB , he made a good call. You can’t blame s coach for the player’s failures.

jnday

Reaction score
Who in their right mind would EVER defend hot dog eating Barry Switzer?
Switzer was smart enough to win a Super Bowl. He knew he had a great team and he didn’t screw it up.

jnday

Reaction score

The difference is that ES had too many great moments as a Cowboy and he played consistently like a champion and MVP.