Defense doesn’t win Championships

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
We can talk offense and defense all day but that means jack. The thing that wins championships is excellent situational football. Perfect example is the Patriots. I swear they were blah all season. And yet playoffs come and what happens, they get to the SB again. Why? It's not just because of TB or the coach. That whole team, which has a revolving door of players, plays perfectly when the situation calls for it. Period. They often are not the best on the field but they handle theirs.

The Boys do not play that way. In the playoffs talent is not enough.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Part of not letting the other team score is sustaining drives. We had a chance to convert third down in the Rams games and keep drives going and flat out missed.
Everything came down to a 3rd and 7 play which our defense failed to get the stop. Dak got us within 1 score. Defense still wins championships. Rams defense got crucial stops against us and against the Saints including in OT. They are going to the Superbowl we aren't and neither is the saints.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're right. I didn't want to speak on the Pats because I couldn't remember what moves they made.

But once again the OP is off the mark.
Having Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown in the middle means running up the middle is one area that is closed off. Lets the Pats focus their other players elsewhere. If you don't have to collapse everyone in to shore up the middle, suddenly it's much easier to guard the edge.

kskboys

Reaction score
No I watched it and Ne played keep away.
They absolutely did. Ball control O, and shut KC's O down the first half.

If we can get some middle pluggers and actually put the ball in the end zone and sustain drives better, we can do the same thing.

black label

Reaction score

If we can get some middle pluggers and actually put the ball in the end zone and sustain drives better, we can do the same thing.
Ne had no idea how to stop kc in the second half.
If they lose the coin toss they lose the game.
In 20 minutes mahomes tore them a new one. That's not a great d. They had no answeres

kskboys

Reaction score
In 20 minutes mahomes tore them a new one. That's not a great d. They had no answeres
Great? Don't remember anyone calling them that.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The fielded non winningly deployed defense shall fail miserably in the crossing of swords, in the as of yet to be foreseen, ensuing SIPPERBOWL combat,WHEN THEY ARE confronted with the likes of those New England TOM BRADY'S guy they've got manning that Q.B. position:oldcouple:

GMO415

Reaction score
Defense still wins championships. When NE makes the lambs one demential you'll see the light.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Now,Now,there,,, you two fellers!,,, as you really should continue in the endeavored efforts, which thus far have proven to be of the: "leading edge of admirably displayed discourse" (,,,er,,, thus far,,,),,, clearly illustrating the illusively disillusioned display of that which has thus far been properly displayed,,,just saying so ya knows,BROSo_O

:lmao2::starspin::lmao2:

Johnny23

Reaction score
Defense doesnt win championships in 2019...

The top 4 teams Rams, Patriots, Chiefs, Saints .....all offense teams

And of course the Superbowl Rams vs Patriots (offense game)

I still think our best shot is building a dominant defense because of our QB
It was the Rams pressure on Drew Brees that forced the interception that ended the Saints season. Brees like alot of qbs gets rattled by pressure. The Rams defensive line shut down our run game and got pressure enough to win.

It's about Balance. Defense does win championships. Think of every great offensive team the last 30 years that one a ring. The defense was top ten in something and created turnovers.

You wouldn't want Aaron Donald, Brockers, Suh,and Fowler on our DL? The problem with the Rams defense is that Marcus Peters is a bonafide idiot.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
It is more like rules benefitting/refs helping offenses wins championships.

The game today is nothing but a watered down version of real football pre-90s. Much like cars today lots of gadgets and may even look cool, but nothing like cars 60s and 70s

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Sure they do but you need a competent offense to go along with it. Defense alone is not enough, never was.

Offense averages 26 points the last three playoff games, more than competent.
Need a defense that shows up in the playoffs

blueblood70

Reaction score
WRONG, what you need is a more balance TEAM on all 3 levels plus coaching.. KC was only been in that game because they picked tom in the endzone and again later and nearly a3rd time, when you can give that prolific offense more chances it increases the odds but look at the first half of both those Gmae KC vs NE. NE defense nearly shut them out..NE does play defense but given these offensive heavy teams that can get chink plays at any moment, they can styay in games but how does wining 31-30 any different than 13-10 really, a one scre close game is a close game...

what happens with a few select teams in this league is they happened upon some lucky draft picks that when they picked them they had no idea they'd be this great, so they ended up with heavy talent on one side of the ball or the other and went with it, No way anyone could see the greatness in Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, and Hunt until they started playing together..we all saw the failures of big 12 QBs and specifically the Texas Tech gimmicks that never worked in the NFL..now you put these guys all together and coach sees an opportunity to simply run a college offense..

not man teams can do this because that level of talent just doesnt always get together at once with a coach willing to roll with it..

but that does not mean more balanced team cant make it or one with great defense like Baltimore and yes the cowboys were somewhat balanced on both side most of the year.. etc

you are using this years final four as a way to fit your narrative but if the Rams dont find way to shut down Zeke, Kamara, and Ingram in the playoffs which went against the regular season stats they dont make it even past the Cowboys, they Ran and played defense against us and beat us by score..they stayed with Saints who play better defense and are balanced team because they stopped the run again and got help from the refs or they wouldn't be in, it would be 2 very traditional teams in the Saints vs the Patriots..

Flamma

Reaction score
Defense doesnt win championships in 2019...

The top 4 teams Rams, Patriots, Chiefs, Saints .....all offense teams

And of course the Superbowl Rams vs Patriots (offense game)

I still think our best shot is building a dominant defense because of our QB

Defense doesn't always win championships. It just means a great D will usually beat a great offense. But a lot of seasons do not have a great D or teams that do are so lacking in offensive areas that it doesn't matter. If 2013 doesn't say it all I don't know what does. How many times does an example like that have to be played out?

DCowboyz

Reaction score
If our run defense showed up vs the Rams we would of won so I don't know. The Pats and Rams do not have bad defenses if that's what you're trying to say.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

In my opinion, the exact reason we lost to LA was because of not plugging the middle at the line and second level.