CFZ Defense, Running Game, Possible Championship

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Listening to 105.3 in Dallas this afternoon, they were discussing the game plan we have seen from this team over the last 6 weeks.

The question came up, could the Dallas D take the team to a championship? The consensus was it could, provided the offense limited turnovers. This started me thinking about what we are seeing. They claimed Dallas has the best defense in the league. I might concur, although I am hoping the Jones Twerps, oops, I meant Jones Twins, will use some of that money they have horded to bring in a DT, and possibly a WR.

I'd like to add a guard to this, but feel the rotation of Tyron, Tyler, and Jason Peters could be a rotation, like the defensive line, which might fix that problem.

To sum up, the afternoon crew with Broaddus thinks if the running game can continue to gin, Dak plays within the game plan, and the defense becomes the bully on the block, this team can get to the Dance.

When Jerry spoke about the game plan featuring the run and defense he said this is how play-off games are played and won. So the thinking is this style of football is what is needed to win.

One last point that is my opinion. If Dak can give the team 250 yards with fewer than 8 turnovers for the rest of the season, would that satisfy the Dakstabbers?

It seems to me the disgruntled were complaining about the yards Dak threw for this past Sunday, but they are the same as the folks who complain about garbage time yards. This would make Dak a bus driver.

And maybe that is exactly what needs to take place.

Looking for opinions on the style of football being played, and how far you think they could go.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Don’t listen to 105.3 much but usually catch the Hanging With the Boys podcast with Nate Newton. No one is a bigger advocate of the run game dominating up front but even he admits that the current style will get the team to the second round, but not sure after that without an offense that can be relied on (especially early) or a defense that can still be overpowered by the run. (Hopefully today’s trade solves that a little.)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
To sum up, the afternoon crew with Broaddus thinks if the running game can continue to gin, Dak plays within the game plan, and the defense becomes the bully on the block, this team can get to the Dance.

When Jerry spoke about the game plan featuring the run and defense he said this is how play-off games are played and won. So the thinking is this style of football is what is needed to win.

This^^^^

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Don’t listen to 105.3 much but usually catch the Hanging With the Boys podcast with Nate Newton. No one is a bigger advocate of the run game dominating up front but even he admits that the current style will get the team to the second round, but not sure after that without an offense that can be relied on (especially early) or a defense that can still be overpowered by the run. (Hopefully today’s trade solves that a little.)

Love Big Nate's takes on the game. He and Jesse Holley get into some good verbal jousts and have fun with it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Well it took a really long time but maybe just maybe Jerry is finally coming around and looking back at our history when we competed in Super bowls on a regular basis

We had a powerhouse running game with Dwayne Thomas Calvin Hill Tony Dorsett Robert newhouse Emmitt Smith.

We had the doomsday defense with Hall of Fame defensive tackles Bob Lilly Randy White and other very good players like Russell Maryland Jethro Pugh.

We had great quarterbacks in Roger Staubach and Troy aikman but they were not asked to put up Dan Marino type numbers.

IMO in today's NFL this is the year to push all the chips to the middle of the table who knows if we'll have Dan Quinn next year who I believe is the biggest part of what's making this defense great.

Please Jerry don't stop now with Jonathan hankins before the NFL trade deadline try and get everything else we may need including sign OBJ if necessary.

Now is the time Aaron Rodgers looks very mortal and is throwing his team under the bus Tom Brady is losing his marriage and struggling to keep his head in the game with few weapons to work with.

Everybody in our conference is very beatable at Jerry's age you would think he would take full advantage of this tiny window of opportunity we have this year.

starfan1

Reaction score
I truly believe it boils down to stopping the run and penalties.We are a highly penalized team who isnt good enough on offense anymore to overcome the presnap gaffs and holding calls. If we can clean those up and stop the run and Im not sure Hankins is the answer or not then dak can drive the bus. We need dak to drive at about 250 a game is suffice I think as long as the running game keeps trucking like they are

The Dakstabbers will be who they are and critique everything the man does. I truly cant remember a QB our team or not where literally everything the man does on every play is overly analyzed. Sometimes their points are valid sometimes not, in fact some of them dont care if we win or not as long as hes gone soon.

Aven8

Reaction score
What’s funny is Jerry is making more sense now than he has in years. I heard the interview and he said we are playing football now that’s like the playoffs. Close games, running, and defense. He than said that we still have the ability to win in a shootout. I don’t think we can do that every game anymore, but Dak definitely has the ability if we needed it IF we make the playoffs.

starfan1

Reaction score
What’s funny is Jerry is making more sense now than he has in years. I heard the interview and he said we are playing football now that’s like the playoffs. Close games, running, and defense. He than said that we still have the ability to win in a shootout. I don’t think we can do that every game anymore, but Dak definitely has the ability if we needed it IF we make the playoffs.
Ya as long as the shootout starts in 3rd quarter lol. I love me some dak but he needs to start sooner. I'd like a nice 60/40 split so we dont have to rely on pass game

Aven8

Reaction score
Ya as long as the shootout starts in 3rd quarter lol. I love me some dak but he needs to start sooner. I'd like a nice 60/40 split so we dont have to rely on pass game

He was referencing if we play that team where you need more than 24 in the playoffs. We can’t beat KC or Buffalo scoring 24.

starfan1

Reaction score
He was referencing if we play that team where you need more than 24 in the playoffs. We can’t beat KC or Buffalo scoring 24.

youre not wrong! or hes not wrong.I seriously hope were good enough to find out if we can beat them with 24

Starstruck22

Reaction score
I truly believe it boils down to stopping the run and penalties.We are a highly penalized team who isnt good enough on offense anymore to overcome the presnap gaffs and holding calls. If we can clean those up and stop the run and Im not sure Hankins is the answer or not then dak can drive the bus. We need dak to drive at about 250 a game is suffice I think as long as the running game keeps trucking like they are

The Dakstabbers will be who they are and critique everything the man does. I truly cant remember a QB our team or not where literally everything the man does on every play is overly analyzed. Sometimes their points are valid sometimes not, in fact some of them dont care if we win or not as long as hes gone soon.
The Chicago game will be a good test. Chicago leads league in rushing yards and yards per game. We will certainly see how our linebackers hold up but I am not very optimistic given what I have seen this season. And Chicago’s D is looking good as well. Chicago decimated Belichek at his home.

starfan1

Reaction score
The Chicago game will be a good test. Chicago leads league in rushing yards and yards per game. We will certainly see how our linebackers hold up but I am not very optimistic given what I have seen this season. And Chicago’s D is looking good as well. Chicago decimated Belichek at his home.
I am a bit concerned myself. Its a week to week league though and lets hope we catch them on their off week. Fields ability to break pocket is most comcerning.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Listening to 105.3 in Dallas this afternoon, they were discussing the game plan we have seen from this team over the last 6 weeks.

The question came up, could the Dallas D take the team to a championship? The consensus was it could, provided the offense limited turnovers. This started me thinking about what we are seeing. They claimed Dallas has the best defense in the league. I might concur, although I am hoping the Jones Twerps, oops, I meant Jones Twins, will use some of that money they have horded to bring in a DT, and possibly a WR.

I'd like to add a guard to this, but feel the rotation of Tyron, Tyler, and Jason Peters could be a rotation, like the defensive line, which might fix that problem.

One last point that is my opinion. If Dak can give the team 250 yards with fewer than 8 turnovers for the rest of the season, would that satisfy the Dakstabbers?

It seems to me the disgruntled were complaining about the yards Dak threw for this past Sunday, but they are the same as the folks who complain about garbage time yards. This would make Dak a bus driver.

And maybe that is exactly what needs to take place.

Looking for opinions on the style of football being played, and how far you think they could go.

Im not in favor of the theory where we want to "our defense is really good so lets make our offense suck" type of team.

There is no reason this team has to be a low scoring team or a conservative offensive team. Why? What is the point? All you are doing is keeping the other team in the game for longer. We are also a defense that is susceptible to the run game. And in low scoring games your making it so that the other team can still continue to run the ball.

We have the makings of a great offense. There is no reason to dumb it down. And with such a GREAT defense, they can handle an aggressive mishap like a pick or fumble more then they could prior.

Now if you have a dumbed down backup QB like Rush, then I get it. But when you have a healthy Dak and all your recievers healthy, dont hold back. Get a lead and tee off.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah ... makes you wonder if they ever would have figured out how good this formula works if Dak doesn't get hurt.. Can you say "blessing in disguise?"

The only reason this formula works is because of the defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well it took a really long time but maybe just maybe Jerry is finally coming around and looking back at our history when we competed in Super bowls on a regular basis

We had a powerhouse running game with Dwayne Thomas Calvin Hill Tony Dorsett Robert newhouse Emmitt Smith.

We had the doomsday defense with Hall of Fame defensive tackles Bob Lilly Randy White and other very good players like Russell Maryland Jethro Pugh.

We had great quarterbacks in Roger Staubach and Troy aikman but they were not asked to put up Dan Marino type numbers.

IMO in today's NFL this is the year to push all the chips to the middle of the table who knows if we'll have Dan Quinn next year who I believe is the biggest part of what's making this defense great.

Please Jerry don't stop now with Jonathan hankins before the NFL trade deadline try and get everything else we may need including sign OBJ if necessary.

Now is the time Aaron Rodgers looks very mortal and is throwing his team under the bus Tom Brady is losing his marriage and struggling to keep his head in the game with few weapons to work with.

Everybody in our conference is very beatable at Jerry's age you would think he would take full advantage of this tiny window of opportunity we have this year.

So what is this great formula of ours that you think they have finally figured out?