Defensive Line is Over-rated- We need a HUGE NT

khiladi

Reaction score
I sure hope Dallas doesn't make any effort to re-sign Canty and Spears, because they haven't done anything to warrant an extension. Anything and everything surrounding Canty has been hype. Wade played man way more this game, and with the receivers blanketed, our DL still couldn't get to the QB, despite a porpous OL of Cincinnati...

Our main concern on defense needs to be getting a solid , bulky heavy NT and move Ratliff to defensive end. Our middle is getting gashed too consistently by the running backs. We get no pressure up the middle on passes...

Ren

Reaction score
Ratliff is good, Spears and Canty on the other hand have not played well

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Um, in your thread title you ask for a "HUGE NT" but in your post you bash Spears and Canty, who are DE, make up your mind.

khiladi

Reaction score
Ren;2310622 said:
Ratliff is good, Spears and Canty on the other hand have not played well

No doubt... Ratliff is a beast, and it is because he is a beast, we need him at DL to really take advantage of his speed and power. He would be playing alongside ware, which would really limit any doubles that Ware is getting in. We need an NT that can control the gap with his size. Looking back at it, if we kept Ferguson, we would be a much better defensive team.

The release of Ferguson seems to be the one bad move by Dallas in free agency...

Boysboy

Reaction score
We held the Bengals to 60 yards rushing. What's the problem??

khiladi

Reaction score
Boysboy;2310654 said:
We held the Bengals to 60 yards rushing. What's the problem??

How much pressure did we get on Palmer? Do you know how bad the Cincinnati offensive line is?

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
khiladi;2310666 said:
How much pressure did we get on Palmer? Do you know how bad the Cincinnati offensive line is?

They didn't allow many sacks last year if I recall correctly. Are they dinged up?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The Titans are second in the NFL in sacks. They sacked Palmer one time -- when it was 24-7 late in the fourth quarter. It was the only time all game they got credit for a "quarterback hit."

The Ravens -- who were hailed on this message board for their aggressive pass rush -- also sacked Palmer only twice.

What was those defense's problem against such a "porous" offensive line?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
PBJTime;2310672 said:
They didn't allow many sacks last year if I recall correctly. Are they dinged up?

This was their first game back from what Phil Simms said early in the game. Something about the fact that they all out at one time or another.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The Bengals had to use quick drops all day to get any offense. They couldn't run the ball. Our turnovers kept them in the game. As soon as they had to go to longer routes then the DL got to Palmer.

You have to know what the offense was doing to understand what our defense was doing. They did the job most of the day. And they never let the Bengals running game get going.

They were jam up this game. And if they sucked like you think then the Bengals would have gone to 5-7 step drops and picked us apart.

I'd give the D an A today. They saved the day. They finally got the ball back when we had to have a stop. The Bengals are a much better team than 0-5. That doesn't tell the story. If they had been able to run the ball then we would probably have lost this game.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think the problem is at LB, Ellis looks slower then he was. We need faster more athletic LBs who are able to run from sideline to sideline.

1fisher

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2310762 said:
The Titans are second in the NFL in sacks. They sacked Palmer one time -- when it was 24-7 late in the fourth quarter. It was the only time all game they got credit for a "quarterback hit."

The Ravens -- who were hailed on this message board for their aggressive pass rush -- also sacked Palmer only twice.

That tells me one thing..... The Titans D is better than ours! We are overhyped and overrated!

How many attempts did Palmer have in that game? If I remember correctly Ike (I think) was blowing through that day?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2310762 said:

Ha, I was wondering the same thing. I didn't know their OL has been playing that well. Looking at in the stadium, you can could see Palmer have all day on some of the throws.

It sure seemed like we had way overrated DL. I guess maybe credit should go more to Bengals OL .

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yep, we need a dominant-type defensive lineman -- preferably in the middle -- to really be a great D. Spears is a JAG and Tank's hype is way bigger than his actual game.

While we're at it, I'd like to have an upgrade at ILB, too. Zach is great, but he's obviously older. And Bradie is JAG. Burnett probably will be signed by a 43 team.

I know what's coming now... "But we've spent x number of first rounders on D!!!" Well, that doesn't help much if Barbie can't play and Spears is just average.

Kalyan

Reaction score
How may feel confident in our defense that we can get a 3 and out when we need?

Eskimo

Reaction score
The run D wasn't great in the first half. They had something going with Benson up the middle. Perry couldn't get it going all-day but we were saved by a ticky-tack holding call on Housh when Perry gashed us up the middle for 15 into the endzone.

I do think the OP's call for a proper NT is warranted.

I think we will see our weakness exploited later this year by Pittsburgh, NYG x 2 and Washington again.

You just can't play this game with a 295 pound NT although Ratliff does about as good a job as anyone could. He would be an absolute beast at DE, though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2310762 said:

You're likely wasting your time Adam. They'd rather piss and moan than try to understand how good we were on D today against a pretty good offense.

I thought Palmer kept great composure and nearly got them a W with a one dimensional game throwing off quick drops. I don't follow him closely but I see now why he's so well thought of. As soon as they had to get away from their game plan then we were all over Palmer.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We gave up 61 yards guys. 61 yards for a total game and you guys think our NT is a problem. Are you basing that on this one game? If so then I don't understand. Granted they have a bad rushing offense but we still stopped them. And they didn't do that well with their passing offense which is very good.