Dell Power Cords

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Quickly - my dog chewed through the original AC adapter, so I ordered another. It arrived today, however, my comp says "Cannot recognize AC Adapter. Please use a Dell 130W Adapter or greater to insure maximum performance".

The cord IS 130W. My comp is an Inspiron 5160. Can someone help before I have to call them and get annoyed?

Thanks,

CR

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weird... Did you go through your user manual to find the specific one for your computer or did you just buy one without checking?

Just so I'm clear, are you talking about for a desktop or a laptop? It's late and I'm braindead, right now.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Quickly - my dog chewed through the original AC adapter, so I ordered another. It arrived today, however, my comp says "Cannot recognize AC Adapter. Please use a Dell 130W Adapter or greater to insure maximum performance".

The cord IS 130W. My comp is an Inspiron 5160. Can someone help before I have to call them and get annoyed?

Thanks,

CR

Michael Dell told me to have you call 1-800-MY-APPLE...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Weird... Did you go through your user manual to find the specific one for your computer or did you just buy one without checking?

Just so I'm clear, are you talking about for a desktop or a laptop? It's late and I'm braindead, right now.

Ordered the same model as the old one, as it said on the back of the adapter.

Laptop...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

Laptop...

Seriously... I rarely recommend Dell desktops... but the notebooks have performed well for us where I work...

If you can't get your problem solved let me know... we have the "ear" of Dell... ;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:

Laptop...
Ok, well that tapped my little knowledge. Because if you're replacing the same model, you shouldn't have any problems.

Is it plugging in ok? Like are the prongs fitting the plug slot in the computer ok?

Sorry I couldn't help more than that. Cuz there's no reason it shouldn't work. What does the user manual say about replacing power cords?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If you ordered it through Dell call tech support and ask them *** is going on.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:

Laptop...

I figured it would be a lap top, I think all desktops are the same power cords, you can pretty much use any of them.

But as someone else suggested, if you ordered a replacement from dell just call tech support.