Delpit vs Mckinney at 17

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Easy to say now. What were your thoughts when we were linked to him is the better question
To Minkah? Give up the first. No question. lol

But we didn't have one so it's kind of a different discussion.

Reactions: JBS

tm1119

Reaction score
Going into a draft looking for a certain position is a terrible way to build a team. Draft for the best talent, good cheap labor from rookies is the most important aspect to a good, complete roster. Drafting to fill holes is where you miss and get in trouble.

Also, the idea that there won’t be a top player on our board available is pretty far fetched in my opinion. People might disagree, but if 1 of these elite o-lineman are available we have to take them over reaching for an inferior prospect at another position.

(in no order)
Young
Chaisson
Simmons
Brown
Kinlaw
Okudah
Henderson
Wirfs
Thomas
Becton
Lamb
Ruggs
Jeudy

That’s 13 guys without counting any QB’s or Willis (don’t like that he’s a RT only). I think the absolute worst case scenario is we are on the clock taking calls on teams trading up for Jordan Love

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Delpit at #17... ehhh. He'd be a 5 year starter at a position we have sucked at forever, so you can't be too upset about that, but he wouldn't bring the same kind of wow factor that say Kinlaw or Chaisson would. With those guys, you're looking at Pro Bowls if everything clicks. Delpit looks more like a steady Eddie who doesn't have that kind of upside.

Xavier McKinney is the same way, I just like McKinney more because I love his versatility and hate Delpit's tackling. McKinney would be a really strong fit in our new quarters defense that asks safeties to handle a lot of different assignments. So if I'm picking a safety at #17, I'm going for him over Delpit, but even as this board's biggest McKinney cheerleader I'd feel a little let down.

Davis is a guy who has all the physical tools but doesn't have much instincts. He has an alibi in that he was a track guy who started football late, so maybe he just needs to spend some time with coaches learning how to break down route combos and read QB's eyes and such. The bet you're taking is that your coaches can teach him that.

I'm not making that gamble in the 1st round with Delpit, McKinney and Winfield all looking like they were ready to play in the NFL yesterday. In the 2nd though, I'm more amenable. 75% of those guys are going to bust anyway, so they're all dice rolls at that point. Davis is a hard-hitting 4.4 safety with ball skills if he makes it.

JBS

Reaction score
Going into a draft looking for a certain position is a terrible way to build a team. Draft for the best talent, good cheap labor from rookies is the most important aspect to a good, complete roster. Drafting to fill holes is where you miss and get in trouble.

Also, the idea that there won’t be a top player on our board available is pretty far fetched in my opinion. People might disagree, but if 1 of these elite o-lineman are available we have to take them over reaching for an inferior prospect at another position.

(in no order)
Young
Chaisson
Simmons
Brown
Kinlaw
Okudah
Henderson
Wirfs
Thomas
Becton
Lamb
Ruggs
Jeudy

That’s 13 guys without counting any QB’s or Willis (don’t like that he’s a RT only). I think the absolute worst case scenario is we are on the clock taking calls on teams trading up for Jordan Love

Yeah, I'm not taking an OT, and neither are the Cowboys. You just put that in stone

tm1119

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not taking an OT, and neither are the Cowboys. You just put that in stone

Sorry but I don’t believe you know that. This front office has shown the willingness in the past to draft the true BPA.

Not to mention that LG and C are legit worrisome and the price tag on our o line is getting crazy. Drafting a guy that can be a stud LG year 1 and transition to LT year 2 after we trade Tyron for a 1st is an ideal scenario in my opinion.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Even if chaisson is there I take McKinney all day every day...

JBS

Reaction score
Sorry but I don’t believe you know that. This front office has shown the willingness in the past to draft the true BPA.

Not to mention that LG and C are legit worrisome and the price tag on our o line is getting crazy. Drafting a guy that can be a stud LG year 1 and transition to LT year 2 after we trade Tyron for a 1st is an ideal scenario in my opinion.

You add lying to yourself if you think this front office is even 10% that clever...OT is not an option...there is absolutely no way

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Let's say our board is basically wiped out. That means the WRs are gone, Henderson, Chaisson, Kinlaw are gone as well.

Imo, both of these players are top 25 players in this class and would deserve consideration at 17. In this scenario, trading down is not an option. I also believe the stories that are out there that Delpit is dropping, are baseless.

So just comparing these two individuals and their potential fit on our team, which player would you rather have AND WHY in this scenario? Again, at 17, with the board wiped out, and no trade partner.

I believe they would force a CB selection over either Safety. The wildcard in the scenario is how the new coaching staff possibly values the S position differently than what we're used to in Dallas.

JBS

Reaction score
I believe they would force a CB selection over either Safety. The wildcard in the scenario is how the new coaching staff possibly values the S position differently than what we're used to in Dallas.

I believe this as well. And I have been saying that. I created this thread to give me some hope that I'm wrong.

vnick

Reaction score
Let's say our board is basically wiped out. That means the WRs are gone, Henderson, Chaisson, Kinlaw are gone as well.

Imo, both of these players are top 25 players in this class and would deserve consideration at 17. In this scenario, trading down is not an option. I also believe the stories that are out there that Delpit is dropping, are baseless.

So just comparing these two individuals and their potential fit on our team, which player would you rather have AND WHY in this scenario? Again, at 17, with the board wiped out, and no trade partner.

I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are gone as well as Henderson, Chaisson, and Kinlaw and that no one has fallen that we would be interested in taking over those two safeties.

So the top 17 taken in no particular order...

1. Jeudy
2. Ruggs
3. Lamb
4. Chaisson
5. Kinlaw
6. Henderson
7. Burrow
8. Tua
9. D. Brown
10. Young
11. Okudah
12 Simmons
13. Wirfs
14. Becton
15. Wills
16. Love

I may take Delpit or I might go BPA and take Tyron's eventual replacement Andrew Thomas. Or if any of the above minus the QB's are available, that's who I am drafting. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where the three top receivers as well as Chaisson, Kinlaw, and Henderson are gone and there are no attractive trade down options.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I believe this as well. And I have been saying that. I created this thread to give me some hope that I'm wrong.

Yeah I just don't see it. Stephen and McClay apparently love Woods while McCarthy has a guy he trusts, albeit for only one year, in Clinton-Dix. IMO Stephen/McClay or McCarthy would have to be EXTREMELY high on either S to pull that trigger.

JBS

Reaction score
I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are gone as well as Henderson, Chaisson, and Kinlaw and that no one has fallen that we would be interested in taking over those two safeties.

So the top 17 taken in no particular order...

1. Jeudy
2. Ruggs
3. Lamb
4. Chaisson
5. Kinlaw
6. Henderson
7. Burrow
8. Tua
9. D. Brown
10. Young
11. Okudah
12 Simmons
13. Wirfs
14. Becton
15. Wills
16. Love

I may take Delpit or I might go BPA and take Tyron's eventual replacement Andrew Thomas. Or if any of the above minus the QB's are available, that's who I am drafting. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where the three top receivers as well as Chaisson, Kinlaw, and Henderson are gone and there are no attractive trade down options.

I agree w you. The only realistic scenario is if an OT falls..if a qb falls, there is likely an opportunity to trade..but what happens if kinlaw falls and he's a medical red flag? Then that doesn't do any good. So there is that possibility too..so yes, it is an unlikely scenario, but it is not impossible. It is also not impossible that if a WR falls, the Cowboys still wouldn't take them and go bpa on defense, which could be safety

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah I just don't see it. Stephen and McClay apparently love Woods while McCarthy has a guy he trusts, albeit for only one year, in Clinton-Dix. IMO Stephen/McClay or McCarthy would have to be EXTREMELY high on either S to pull that trigger.

I really don't want to reach on a CB..that's my biggest fear and I agree w you, it's the most likely outcome..

Fulton or Diggs is probably going to be our pick..I have heard they like Diggs

I don't like that at 17....at all

Gaede

Reaction score
McKinney is an all-around good football player. I get major red flag feelings from Delpit

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My favorite safety in this class is Winfield Jr. Yes, there are concerns just like the top 2, but in my opinion, best ball hawk in the class. He has the potential to become MM's Charles Woodson.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Delpit is an elite cover safety. His tackling is poor. He appears to be 6’2 and long. If the elite guys are gone, He would be a good pick.