Demarcus Lawrence Contract Disaster

jsb357

Reaction score
Jerry's contract disasters put to book form make War and Peace look like a seat back pamphlet you look through on an airplane.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
you guys are all about the players when they are making little money but call every big contract bad on this team.

Lawrence deal is basically a 3 yr 65mil deal. he's already accounted for in next yrs cap and dallas still has over 90mil in cap space. in 2021 he makes only 1mil more then then the yr before. In 2022 Dallas can release him and save 14mil on the cap.

Some of you are ridiculously uninformed on these deals and how none of them actually hurt the cap. And its clear some of you have never heard the term fluff yrs.
I just wanted to hit reply on this post because: Yes.

And it deserves to be reread, you ignorant plebes.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
o_O

If you spend much time on social media looking around Cowboys’ fan groups or on Twitter, you might see someone say Dlaw isn’t playing well or isn’t worth the $105 million dollar contract he signed in the offseason. (cough cough)

Those people would be wrong. They’re the same people that spent the last two years arguing that Dlaw didn’t deserve to be paid like a top-five edge player in the NFL.

Fans look at Dlaw's sack and tackle for loss totals and come to the conclusion that he’s not playing well. However, if you spend a reasonable amount of time looking at his play or even some metrics that provide context to the first four games of the season, then you come to realize that Dlaw has not only been good, he’s been great.

His impact goes beyond the traditional box score or stat sheet. As much as I like stats and what they can imply, a singular statistic, like sacks, often leaves us without a complete picture of a player’s value, especially on defense. Dlaw is one of the most well rounded edge players in the NFL, make no mistake.

:facepalm:
#RespectDaBoyzMama

fifaguy

Reaction score
Sure we'd like to see more sacks, but Lawrence is definitely not a problem on this team. He's one of the few defensive starters that actually deserves to stay on the team. And Lawrence is not playing anywhere near an average level, some of you need to stop that.

They're just looking at just the sack numbers. Would agree that he has been a bright spot on d this year.

ondaedg

Reaction score
He's avoiding most of the team's criticism this year due to all the other major issues, but his contract is looking like a historically bad deal within the 1st year of the deal.

Demarcus Lawrence is the #1 paid DE through the entire length of his contract, 2023. He received the same guaranteed money as Khalil Mack, which is also tied for the most guaranteed money a defensive player has ever received.

Even is he was playing at a pro-bowl level, this would still be considered poor value. However, he's not even playing up to the level of an average / journeyman type defensive end.

He was always a high motor, effort player. Historically, the only DEs who sustained long term success in the NFL are a world class athletes. He's not. This is an issue for the top paid D-lineman on the wrong side of 30.

Worst post ever. DLaw has been a force against the run and is consistently harassing the QB. If DLaw wasn't on the field teams would be gashing the left side of our line as bad as they are gashing Quinn, Armstrong and Covington. Dude has been a stud!

T-RO

Reaction score
Even is he was playing at a pro-bowl level, this would still be considered poor value. However, he's not even playing up to the level of an average / journeyman type defensive end.

The extreme ignorance around here is breathtaking.
Demarcus Lawrence PFF = 87.7, which puts him at "pro bowl" level.

Only a fan who knows nothing about football would think DeMarcus hasn't played very well this season.

basstapp

Reaction score
Hes 1.5 sacks behind mack and has a ton more assists. If anything mack was traded for and lawrence wasnt and were getting a better deal.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Sure we'd like to see more sacks, but Lawrence is definitely not a problem on this team. He's one of the few defensive starters that actually deserves to stay on the team. And Lawrence is not playing anywhere near an average level, some of you need to stop that.

A good run stopper is a dime a dozen...seriously. Why do you think pash rushers that produce more sacks get paid so much more than run stuffers? It's not a good justification for his contract value at all.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
The extreme ignorance around here is breathtaking.
Demarcus Lawrence PFF = 87.7, which puts him at "pro bowl" level.

Only a fan who knows nothing about football would think DeMarcus hasn't played very well this season.

I've watched him. I see his stats. Both tell me he's a good player, but nowhere close to the #1 d-lineman in the league like his contract indicates...that's my point. It's a bad value.

Also, not to disregard your PFF reference, but their rating system is completely nebulous and inconsistent. It's a data point, but you need a correlation of other data points. He won't make the pro-bowl. That's a data point that indicates he's not the #1 d-lineman..or a top #10 d-lineman for that matter.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Lawrence is having an outstanding season. Tremendous against the run and pass.

Against the run, yes. I disagree on his pass rush. It's definitely not the same as previous years. Still a good d-lineman...but he'll quickly become just another solid starter if his play doesn't improve. That's great, every team needs them...but not for the most guaranteed money in the NFL.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
The op is bs. Yes he hasn't got the 'sack" numbers, but he has gotten pressures and has been great at stopping the run. Now if this was about Zeke, yea he should be cut tomorrow.

Hey now, I've posted plenty of BS. This post isn't one of them :(

Chrispierce

Reaction score
5 sacks is not exactly what Dallas was paying for,and sack numbers were used in negotiation tactics by Lawrence,as well as delaying surgery. Thank gosh old mom told him to knock it off and get busy..he’s been playing better since he has. Still like Zeke...their contract negotiations made for a preset sub par outing situation. I didn’t like how those got handle one bit. Best DE players category shouldn’t say 5 sacks at this point,where’s his agent interests now? It wasn’t for him. It’s like paying a home run hitter to hit 15HRs. No,I don’t care he fielded well or ran bases well or walked,you pay for HRs. Well he knows that....I’m almost certain it irritates the hell of out of him. I bet he gets 20 sacks next season...I do. He’ll he mad he finished 10 or under. Good!! Don’t screw around in off season next time...same with Zeke,it matters,matters how the team plays. Put your football before your money then it’s all good.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Numbers say that Lawrence is very good. But definitely not elite.

Ignore sacks. He's not ranked in the top 10 for hurries, knock downs, or pressures. He's very good, but paid as elite. Bad contract.

By the way. Same thing in 2018. Didn't crack top 10 then either.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/defense_advanced.htm

Thanks for posting this. Yes, exactly what I'm saying. His pay is far too high for just a "good" d-lineman...just my opinion.

is 27 the wrong side of 30?

LOL I saw that typo. My bad, I was flowing. I meant 25...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Lawrence has been playing lights out the last few weeks. It's not only about sacks. It never has been with Lawrence. He's an all around all pro and I have no problem with the contract. In a year or two it won't even be close to the most money a DE is getting.